ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do all new 172s have ESP

Elise/VX220/R26

One dealer I spke to said that this was something that all new 172 have had for about 8 months. Is this true and how do you tell if you have it on the car or not when you get it?

PS I havent picked mine up yet - 7 days to go :D

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive still not managed to get mine to do anything. I even stomped the brakes while cornering the other day to try and get it to kick in. The back came round a little, but with a dab of throtle soon came back.

I reckon they added the switch but not the electronics :)

Lee

BMW M2C

As I said Jon172, Ive not even had mine intervene yet. I think Ill need to find a large expanse and really get the car out of shape to provoke it into doing anything. Personally I always found it intrusive on the Focus, it was okay most the time, but really spoilt my fun when driving hard. Good job it could be switched off.

Ive only ever got mine to come on back when we had all that snow and boy did it work!! Never even had a flicker any other time, but thats surely a good thing - I know it works! I wouldnt want it to be oversensitive anyway.

I dont think it would be cheap to retro fit and probably little point. Its just another safety toy. Your car will still have ABS. Like I said above, Ive never felt it come in until the road was covered in snow.

Clio 1.6 16V

So it does work then after all! Reckoned you had to virtually try and stack the car to get it kickin in! LOL So apart from flashing the triangle on you inst cluster did it apply the brakes/abs/make noises or just cut the power .... or both?

It seemed to be applying differential throttle to different wheels to keep me in a straight line when the car wanted to go to one side - felt like something was pulling you away if it started to slip. The most noticable thing was the cutting of the throttle but it could have been braking as well - I was too busy crapping myself at how slippery it was!!

Standard ESP works by monitoring how much the car is turning compared to how far you have the steering wheel turned. It applies the outside front brake if you are oversteering and the inside front for understeer. Its basically an evolution of ABS. Top end car manufacturers have versions that also control the throttle for extra control but Im not sure if that one is on the relatively cheap Sport 172.

HTH

Lee

BMW M2C

It certainly doesnt stop wheelspin as the one on the 2.0l Focus Zetec ESP did, thats for sure :D

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

its not just esp though......traction control as well...so if your trying a bit too hard in a race off the lights when its a bit slippy save yourself from looking like a knob that cant drive and turn it off.

I forgot to the other day and it killed the engine making me look like Id stalled or kangarood it, and then pulled away like i was driving miss daisy.....not funny (for me anyway....the other bloke thought it was)