ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do any 172 or Cup owners......

i run it on what ever falls out of the pump to me it seems to make fook all difference but others tell you it will try it see what u think

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I only get whats available which just happens to be 93...car is still quicker than most others (who also have to use 93)

The only stuff I dont use is supermarket petrol because Ive been told its full of detergents and stuff. But this is probably rubbish as well.

Lee

BMW M2C

Up until this weekend Ive used nothing but Optimax, but on the way back from York I had to put a tank of Esso Super in. I doubt itll feel any different.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

It recommends using 98 Octane fuel...

On my old car (306 Rallye) it did make a differnce running Optimax or SUL instead of normal 95 Octane stuff.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Optimax all the time for my baby... none of this second best fuel for my car..

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I have tried Optimax but I got a pathetic fuel consumption then I tried Esso SU and it didnt make any difference and it was v. expensive so I put the cheapest I can find now. Dont think it makes squat difference!!!

Mk2 172

I use the safeway cheap stuff. I tried expensi-max (or is it optimax) and it gave me 2-3 less mpg, and felt slower. All for 7p a litre more.

Notice how Shell dont actually claim an octane rating for Optimax on the pumps. I think I remember hearing that it was refined at 98.6 but they dont guarantee it on the pumps like super is listed at 97RON at other stations.

I avoid Optimax if I can help it. Car often feels sluggish on it and its more expensive, but Id rather use it than 95RON.

The Sainsburys near me has just refitted its petrol station, and as I was driving past yesterday I noticed that some pumps had 2 green nozzles........I was so intrigued (never seen a supermarket do SUL before) that I went back in and sure enough, they now do SUL in there too :D. I think Ill stick with BP or Total if I can help it, but its handy in case Im in a rush. Im sure supermarket fuel comes from the same place as the rest - they probably just buy it from one of the big companies.

Weeman sucks ****

Optimax in my cup goes down like a pint on a hot day! I read the feature in EVO mag which basically said optimax is good cos it cleans better.

Id put it in everytime but i get company fuel which is pukka, but its not with a well recognised station...nevermind.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 29 July 2003
fecking hello 100 octane fuel!!

my sentiments exactly.. when does it arrive, 1500 galons of your finest to my front door please.

I try to use Optimax but if not I always use a branded 95 RON fuel ie Shell, I have read somewhere that the Supermarket fuel is pretty ropey. :confused:

Elise/VX220/R26

all this about supermarket petrol been crap is rubbish. Its probably supplied under liscence from the same places that supply shell etc.

jonnyboy, it is logical that the petrol is bought from a major petrol supplier ie BP / Shell.

I read an article in a car magazine (maybe Evo or Autocar) and various cars were ran for a few months from new with fuel from different places, the valves were then taken from the engines and compared, the high quality fuels left fewer fuel deposits on the valves than the supermarket petrol, thus equalling better performance and fuel economy.

It could all be b****cks and just a sales pitch for the expensive fuels, anybody read the same article?

i read it or something similar ,top gear i think,mine idles a hell of a lot smoother with optimax in rather than asdas own,picks up noticable quicker and gives about 2-3 more mpg on average.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I think the petrol is essentialy the same, its the additives which change between suppliers.

So to sum up,

If I got a 172/Cup I dont HAVE to run it on SUL/Optimax. The reason I asked is that if im trundling back and fourth to work in traffic everyday I hardly need Optimaxs super properties at added expense, it would seem wasted. Maybe filll with SUL/Optimax every 4th tank fill or something. Judging by your replies its negligable the noticable effects of 98 Ron anyway.

I dont think the ECU can detect the Octane of the fuel that you use, all it can do is change the ignition settings when the knock sensor detects detonation (pinking), which I imagine would happen more on lower octane petrol.