ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I get a Clio again Dilemma

Laguna

The Dilemma I am in, right I think im in the same boat as Tom20v but slightly different once again it must be this website. I have owned a 1.4RT I spent a load on kitting it and did everything, it handled like a go kart and I’m starting to miss it. I went from that to a Clio Mk2 172 brand new once again spent a fair bit on that which Cov Kid now owns. I sold that in order to get some money behind me to get a house. Anyway when I had the RT I always wanted a valver and I’m seriously thinking about getting one later this year perhaps in the summer. But what are the pro’s and con’s? At the moment I’m driving my dads old low mileage Laguna 1.8, I’m travelling 6 junctions on the m1 often so I’m doing quite a few miles so fuel could be a issue. But I miss owning a Clio really, I’m still a big kid when I see the Valver they still look stunning in standard form but do I take the risk selling the Laguna that has excellent service history nothing wrong with it and my own dad owned it from new virtually, its only done 50k on a P plate. Due to me saving for a house will the Valver eat away at my house funds etc? I would love to say I could own both but parking the unused car would be an issue, I was thinking of getting one as a track car at one stage but being real I should just have the one motor and keep banking the money away.

Im 24, 25 in a month with 4 years no claims so insurance shouldn’t be too much different.

Ziel Nurburgring

Sell the Guna, Get a Williams or Valver. Both should be reliable if looked after.

[Edited by blink172 on 22 February 2005 at 3:43pm]

Keep the laguna, i miss read your post and didnt realise the amount of miles you were doing. Neither of the above would last long doing that daily

Clio 182

I wouldnt use the valver as an everyday/motorway car IMHO
Too rattly/noisy etc. Keep the laguna IMHO

Clio 182

Maybe because mine has a straight through zaust from the manifold?! lol, f**k it then, go for it! :D

Laguna

I used to have a K5 exhaust from K-tec straight thru with Decat on the 1.4 RT it was as loud as M888arcs valver from here with the same exhaust. If I get one I would go for the same thing. The loudness adds to character to me hehe...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i have literally just sold my rt to get a valver that i have lined up, i do about 40 miles a day and have done much research on here about running costs, it seems the general concensus is that if you get a minter and make sure you look after it then it should be fine, on motorways i think i have been told that you can get 300 miles to a tank, tank = £40

hope that helps,
for more info search freebone in the clio discussion forum

Laguna

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 22 February 2005

get a 200sx

Stop being a pu55y and go RWD:devilish:
Lol, i have already thought of them too, but im thinking the running costs again would kill and the mileage. Plus for a mint one they are pricey... I think i would struggle to get a great deal for the laguna.

Mercedes SLK350

Your dilemma should be, to buy a house or not. At the moment prices are very shaky. A house price crash is on the cards.

Buy the car you want now. Wait a short time for prices to drop on houses, then buy. You will probably save thousands on the house, which would more than pay for a new car.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote: Originally posted by big lee on 22 February 2005

Your dilemma should be, to buy a house or not. At the moment prices are very shaky. A house price crash is on the cards.

Buy the car you want now. Wait a short time for prices to drop on houses, then buy. You will probably save thousands on the house, which would more than pay for a new car.

Just my opinion of course.

house prices will stay stable you mean, they wont drop. if they it will only be by a little.

Im on my 4th Clio now (3 Mk1s, 1 Mk2).

In between the 1.2, 16V, Williams and now my Ph2 172 I had a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo. I really missed the practicality, handling, economy and unlikeliness of the hot Clios, despite the raw speed and style of the Coupe. It was all topped off when my other half bought a basic spec Mk2 and I saw a 182 in the flesh at the dealer - the Fiats days were numbered straight away!

I think the fact that Renault have made 25+ years worth of unfailingly excellent hot hatches makes moving on very hard. At least with Peugeot theyve made a few recent duds, making escaping the brand very easy. Not so with Renault!

Im just coming to an end of a period when Ive been doing big miles in my car. The 172 has achieved an average of over 40mpg on the trip computer with a little restraint over the last few weeks - and Im very happy that all I have to worry about is tyres, servicing and insurance (rather than steering racks, brake callipers, turbos etc etc).

My car choice is relatively modest to my earnings when you consider than my peers are driving around in cars like an S2000 - but it leaves me with plenty of room for affording holidays, mountain bike bits and so on. If you can have the means to afford what you want as well as a 16V/Williams/172/182, then go for it!

Laguna

tell me about it lads, seems to me best way is to save as much £££s you can to have a bigger deposit, the prices of houses and mortages are crazy... I will stick the Laguna as after all I had the 172 and sold that I should stop wasting money on cars for a bit, till ive at least made the jump and brought a house and can figure better what I can afford.