ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do i go for the gt

why would i get a court summons? he came at me threw the first punch so its classed as self defence, he kept his job and i went to a diffrent renault garage, so all good.

revels, have had a little look at the twingo but they are a lil bit small but are very fun to drive

daydots, you hear horror stories with every car its just unfortunate ive got one, doesnt make all renaults bad and i do love the way mine drives, hence the road trip last year from liverpool to southampton lol :cool:

i do agree my clio has been alright id buy another :eek:
shame the kit never stayed on your clio ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
So you have finance on the turbo. Swapping cars will cause you no end of grief money wise.

But as Chris says, I'd much rather have a Twingo over the GT.

This. Twingo Cup with that black pack, which includes black wheels, the choice of heros iirc

Not a 320d
No. Get a Twingo, as s**t as the twingo is, its a lot more fun ... so i hear.

The GT is just s**t, youll hate the ride height, the clutch, the gearbox and the steering and looks.

Not a 320d
i would have burnt it out and claimed elec fault etc.
you will struggle to get a gt diesel for under 215 a month.
mines a petrol on 5 years 0% with a 2k deposit and its 200 a month, got free met paint and free tomtom too....
it has its little niggles like most cars but imo if you can afford the 200 get one, i couldnt at the time(200 was closer to £300 a month and over twice the insurance cost)
i actually really like my gt, is nippy and fun to drive only thing that lets it down is 32mpg average but it does get driven pretty hard when im in it.......
spend a few hundred quid on a suspention kit, spacers and set it up its a pretty capeible car...

I get 40MPG on straights. Will do 35 average around built up areas. Cain it and ill get 19mpg.

I had coilovers fitted to mine and a set of 20mm rear spacers on the rear. The engine is gutless above 5000rpm, i would get a brochure and take note of the power graph thing, youll see what i mean just by looking at it. The only plus side to my car is that it can be pretty fun to drive round twisty roads. i paid mine off in Full thank f**k. Ill keep it another 2 years or so and get rid.

Posted these pics before hopefully itll put you off buying one, dont make the same mistake i did.

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

vauxhall corsa vxr
see i dont know i think i might need to be slapped but i like that

daydots - i know mate but was just unfortunate that the front splitter is in bits, i sold the skirts and the back piece is still for sale as it just didnt look right

see i dont know i think i might need to be slapped but i like that

daydots - i know mate but was just unfortunate that the front splitter is in bits, i sold the skirts and the back piece is still for sale as it just didnt look right

i know what you mean it just doesnt flow quite right

as for the gt i still love it :eek:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I love the power of mine. For a while my instructor had a 1.2Turbo clio and there is a definate power advantage in the 1.6VVT engine.

It handles well the interior is gorgeous the seats are perfect. It's such a good car despite all the s**t people say about it being "too slow".

BTW, I also know where there is a GT going cheap COUGH. ;). Either way, buying it new is a fools game. That's what happened with me. 12 months ago it was £12,500, now its up for £9,750.

I love the power of mine. For a while my instructor had a 1.2Turbo clio and there is a definate power advantage in the 1.6VVT engine.

It handles well the interior is gorgeous the seats are perfect. It's such a good car despite all the s**t people say about it being "too slow".

BTW, I also know where there is a GT going cheap COUGH. ;). Either way, buying it new is a fools game. That's what happened with me. 12 months ago it was £12,500, now its up for £9,750.

the tce is ment to be quite nippy :S

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Oh yeah don't get me wrong the TCE was! But the GT just feels faster. Probably because it is... Either way, if its power you want the GT has it, and with cheap insurance too :). Its a good combo imo.

Mini Cooper S
The TCE is nippy, but it's only got 100BHP lol....and Jason, did you have a cool instructor? Did he let you floor it?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah he was a legend. I let him drive mine too :rasp:. I think the TCE feels about the same speed as a MK2 PH2 1.2 16v. But the turbo makes it a little bit more fun and cooler ;)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah, it's gunna make someone a real nice bargain of a car! Will miss it :(

182 Full of Fat
Just get a 200, go to Renault Chester......got some awsome pcp finance deals at the mo (200 cup for £199 pm)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

LOL.

Yours must have another 900bhp to the one I had as a courtesy car then.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Sorry to hear youve had such trouble with your car. Thats a very long list of fail right there. My understanding of the rejection system is that it needs to be the same fault that occurs 3 times, as the manufacturer must be given 3 attemtps to fix it. Thats the dilemma I was in with my black 07 1.4 Dynamique. On the 4th attempt (cos I loved the cars looks) I decided enough was enough and wrote a very polite but firm email to both the dealer and Renault Ireland. After some negotiations I was given prices to trade the car and Renault gave a "good will payment" to keep me happy. I desperately wanted a 197 but financially I couldnt make it happen.

What I would suggest to you is that you take the car that you can easily and comfortably afford. In this economic climate we cant allow our hearts overrule our wallets anymore! What Id also suggest you do is to look at 2009 pre-reg or demo 197 models. That would be a huge step up from the GT, as nice as it is and a very good compromise over the 200, again as nice as it is. Twingo RS would also be a very nice compromise.

Either way, good luck with the choice and keep us posted :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
how come your getting rid

Cant really afford the payments etc.

LOL.

Well tbh, when it was being run in it was a bit limp. However, I just think your being narrow minded here.

YES, its slower than a RenaultSport. Thats the friggin idea. Not all of us fancy paying £7k+ on insurance on a 1*2 etc. (us being younger driver ofc) So this, being group 7 is not only faster, but a group lower in insurance than a ZS.

It makes perfect sence imho. Just because your used to the power in a 182 and can afford the insurance on it means that you don't see the point in this car. As do all the people saying "Just get a 200". I don't know how old the OP is, but as he is getting insurance quotes for the GT, he's obviously young enough to have to worry about the insurance on a car! I could have "Just got" a 182 or a 197 but then I'd pay that same amount out again for insurance. It's not as simple as just seeing a car you like and buying it, insurance 99% of the time is the most you pay out for.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i like the GT, i may even get one but it needs to be a DCi 106. the K4M even in its older form in the mk2 cars is a good little engine, yes its gutless over 5k but thats the idea, it has a resonable amount of torque for an N/A 1600 low down. i like my mrs one the only one down side i have is the fact it is actually SHOCKING on fuel, she averages 36mpg and she drives it extremely economical, i struggle 32mpg in it! thats what i get in my 172 driving it "lightly" like i do with the 1.6 i dont see the point in any of the petrol non sport clios.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Cant really afford the payments etc.

Well tbh, when it was being run in it was a bit limp. However, I just think your being narrow minded here.

YES, its slower than a RenaultSport. Thats the friggin idea. Not all of us fancy paying £7k+ on insurance on a 1*2 etc. (us being younger driver ofc) So this, being group 7 is not only faster, but a group lower in insurance than a ZS.

It makes perfect sence imho. Just because your used to the power in a 182 and can afford the insurance on it means that you don't see the point in this car. As do all the people saying "Just get a 200". I don't know how old the OP is, but as he is getting insurance quotes for the GT, he's obviously young enough to have to worry about the insurance on a car! I could have "Just got" a 182 or a 197 but then I'd pay that same amount out again for insurance. It's not as simple as just seeing a car you like and buying it, insurance 99% of the time is the most you pay out for.

i pay £1995 a year on my own policy, 1 year no claims bonus and im 19 years old, been driving 18 months, all my mods are delclared (cage, harness, carbon bonnet, panel filter etc etc) unlimited milage and unlimited performance and looks mods up to 245bhp :)

thats on a clio 200 cup aswell

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah but not everyone can afford it mate, that's my point. If you want a new car that's quick than your standard 1.2 but can't afford the 200's insurance its a great middle of the road car. Kind of like a stepping stone from a 1.2 or w/e.

vauxhall corsa vxr
Sorry to hear youve had such trouble with your car. Thats a very long list of fail right there. My understanding of the rejection system is that it needs to be the same fault that occurs 3 times, as the manufacturer must be given 3 attemtps to fix it. Thats the dilemma I was in with my black 07 1.4 Dynamique. On the 4th attempt (cos I loved the cars looks) I decided enough was enough and wrote a very polite but firm email to both the dealer and Renault Ireland. After some negotiations I was given prices to trade the car and Renault gave a "good will payment" to keep me happy. I desperately wanted a 197 but financially I couldnt make it happen.

What I would suggest to you is that you take the car that you can easily and comfortably afford. In this economic climate we cant allow our hearts overrule our wallets anymore! What Id also suggest you do is to look at 2009 pre-reg or demo 197 models. That would be a huge step up from the GT, as nice as it is and a very good compromise over the 200, again as nice as it is. Twingo RS would also be a very nice compromise.

Either way, good luck with the choice and keep us posted :)

thanks for the advice mate, i tried the letters aproach with renault and got nowhere,but now there willing to offer the £1000 against another car

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
They have recently put some epic deals on the GT too atm. Hence why I'm finding it hard to shift mine. Starting to see more and more twins on the road :rasp:

182 Trophy
its mega late lol, the only thing the turbo clio and my next car are just stepping stones until my insurance comes down enough so i can get the car i want and the accident is off the insurance files

twingo 133 would be perfect for you imo, faster, better looking and handling than a clio gt.
anc not too bad on insurance either

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i would love one but by the time you add climate, factory leather renaultsport upgrade and reach adjustable steering onto a GT DCi they are into 200 money!! however i couldnt afford a 200 every day to work and back!

182 Full of Fat
So your saying not every one can afford a £4-5K 182 etc but are advising him to spend £11/12K ish on a GT? Confused....

i would love one but by the time you add climate, factory leather renaultsport upgrade and reach adjustable steering onto a GT DCi they are into 200 money!! however i couldnt afford a 200 every day to work and back!

your have the full leather ? theirs one on the trader with it not sure i like it the part leather it comes with is nice

by the time i finish with the option list esp and the tomtom will be the only things my idea gt wont have :eek: the gt is an expensive car but i dont fancy running a 200 the deals do make them tempting though

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah im not bothered about esp, pointless gimmick lol tom tom looks shat on it too. yeah not sure on the leather looks a bit like a cheap retrim, saw it in a few 197's too. would probably see what deal the dealer could do with recaros in it.

yeah im not bothered about esp, pointless gimmick lol tom tom looks shat on it too. yeah not sure on the leather looks a bit like a cheap retrim, saw it in a few 197's too. would probably see what deal the dealer could do with recaros in it.

you cant get recaros in a gt or did you mean in a 200 :S

MCS R56
i pay £1995 a year on my own policy, 1 year no claims bonus and im 19 years old, been driving 18 months, all my mods are delclared (cage, harness, carbon bonnet, panel filter etc etc) unlimited milage and unlimited performance and looks mods up to 245bhp :)

£2K on a Clio, any Clio is laughable.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So your saying not every one can afford a £4-5K 182 etc but are advising him to spend £11/12K ish on a GT? Confused....

No what I mean is you can afford to BUY a car like that. But then you pay the same amount out again on insurance! Its mad!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
If i wanted a 'warm' hatch I'd be looking at Fiesta Zetec S. We have a 2006 one and for what it is, ticks all the boxes. Nippy well built, no melting steering wheels ;) 40mpg. Win tbh

vauxhall corsa vxr
If i wanted a 'warm' hatch I'd be looking at Fiesta Zetec S. We have a 2006 one and for what it is, ticks all the boxes. Nippy well built, no melting steering wheels ;) 40mpg. Win tbh

my first car was a fiesta and tbh i wouldnt go back there as i miss my other oe too much, my dad has the new shape and there very nice

Not a 320d

£9700 is the going rate Jason. The Gt does not handle well in standard form. Mine a little better but i still cant take bends as fast as a sport can, ive had many a tuffle with 197's and 182's so far and while they dont leave me for dead they still corner better than mine, obviously. I paid 11.5 for mine new.

The interior is also NOT gorgeous. The seats are not perfect, they are too high and the leg boulsters are flappy as s**t. Bearing in mind i like to get leverage on the steering wheel so sit quite close.

i also have a personal issue with the clutch. its slow, and it squeaks, although i have found a temp solution to this.

LOL.

Christopher, this is the only time i will EVER defend the GT, but the engine does wake up at about 5000 miles. It is gutless over 5k though.

i like the GT, i may even get one but it needs to be a DCi 106. the K4M even in its older form in the mk2 cars is a good little engine, yes its gutless over 5k but thats the idea, it has a resonable amount of torque for an N/A 1600 low down. i like my mrs one the only one down side i have is the fact it is actually SHOCKING on fuel, she averages 36mpg and she drives it extremely economical, i struggle 32mpg in it! thats what i get in my 172 driving it "lightly" like i do with the 1.6 i dont see the point in any of the petrol non sport clios.

I achieve anywhere between 19 and 26mpg. If i take it easy it will do 36-40 but i cbfa.

Christ all mighty. Im a 21 year old uni student earning about £500 a month, i pay £700 a year for my clio, by myself, fully comp, 2 yrd ncd and 6 points. I went for a GT because i simply couldnt afford the £1400 price in insurance. God knows how i would have coped with running costs.

They have recently put some epic deals on the GT too atm. Hence why I'm finding it hard to shift mine. Starting to see more and more twins on the road :rasp:

Some arsehole in a malta GT flashed me the other day.

twingo 133 would be perfect for you imo, faster, better looking and handling than a clio gt.
anc not too bad on insurance either

Exactly, if they didnt have such a gay interior and gay arse end i would have got one. Look great from the front. Saw one at cadwell park at the RS day last year, it was being cained by a race driver.

Not everyone has the same logic. I could sell mine and buy three £3K clios. More so, i could use the money to insure it for the next 3 years. Im too stuck up my own arse to drive around in a car that old now, my previous car was an 05 plate which i got when it was 2 years old, dont want to go back down the reg. ladder.

£2K on a Clio, any Clio is laughable.

True, its sick!!