ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do laptop mouse 'pads' fail?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mine's driving me insane!

Alright most of the time but every now and then it has a fit, and it's almost unusable; it stutters, doesn't respond, loses the tap/click function. Doesn't always come back with a reboot/hibernation either.

Anyone else had a problem? It's on a Dell Latitude D620 if that helps?

R35 GTR
my latitude d830 is a few weeks old and I am having problems with the pointer jumping to different positions of the screen without me touching it.

Chelsea tractor
You pressed the pad off button by accident? I do that on my HP and s**t myself quite frequently lol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
My company uses nothing but Dell laptops and I haven't had a single Dell touchpad fail.

I personally am using a D830 just now, we have about 20 of them in the company.. again, no failures. Only thing we have had is one dodgy DVD/CD drive that doesnt always recognise a blank CD-R

?
my latitude d830 is a few weeks old and I am having problems with the pointer jumping to different positions of the screen without me touching it.

Mine does this sometimes. Ive discovered its acually my mobile phone interfering! wenever i get a txt/call and its near it goes crazy!

laptops must use the same technology as ipod touchwheels as the same thing happens with my ipod when its near my phone in a call/txt.

You dont always realise just how much mobile phones interfere with electrical equiptment, although most people will recognise the rythmical buzzing in speakers/headphones :D

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
The older Dell latitude C series machines were b******s for having touchpads fail which was traced to the nipple point in the middle of the keybaords being faulty. Simple solution was to just cut the wire to the nipple point.

172 Cup SOLD
I'm using a Dell XPS 1530 and were having loads of probs with the mouse pad, it started 2 weeks after I received it, then became completely unuseable, spent 6 hours on the phone to dell 'support' in India who were trying to diagnose the problem......even though I told them what the problem was in the first instance and that I work in IT Ops and knew first troubleshooting steps, system restore etc, had tried them and it hadn't sorted the problem.

The dell tech guy who came to replace it sympathised with me and replaced it no questions asked.

Mine does this sometimes. Ive discovered its acually my mobile phone interfering! wenever i get a txt/call and its near it goes crazy!

laptops must use the same technology as ipod touchwheels as the same thing happens with my ipod when its near my phone in a call/txt.

You dont always realise just how much mobile phones interfere with electrical equiptment, although most people will recognise the rythmical buzzing in speakers/headphones :D

Interesting.. Mine does it quite alot aswell..

05 Clio DCi65/92 Surf 2.4
not had any fail and we use mainly Dells at work... I have had an older iBook affected by certain cleaning substances though!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
The older Dell latitude C series machines were b*****ds for having touchpads fail which was traced to the nipple point in the middle of the keybaords being faulty. Simple solution was to just cut the wire to the nipple point.

Yep spot on, was a nightmare in the old days in the trade.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Had a few fail on Dells, but they were Inspirons and 3 Year warrantys so were replaced next day.

It is possible it can fail, ebay has a lot of touch pads for dells as a replacement if your ok with taking it to bits, its all clips and screws that hold them together.

proton compact 1.3 GLi
i used to get this on my old laptop. i used to just leave it for a few minutes before using it and genrally it would be fine :)

never had one fail but sometimes they are a bit unresponsive. As already said alot of the time it can be the nipple on the keyboard thats affecting it. If you don't use the nipple turn it off in the synapsis software (if installed).

LOL, Good old Dell reliability, you buy cheap, you get cheap, simple;)

Always good to get an unbiased view. :rasp:

Yea, especially when it's nonsense. :p

In terms of Dell, "buy cheap, you get cheap" it's not really the case - their stuff is really good..

But then, for every HP person, there's a Dell person slating the other side.. so.. s'all good ;)