ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

l33th3tr33's 172 cup

I never knew there was such a thing as a 'sporty' clio until a friends brother got a 172 cup, and I always thought it was a smart car with a fair bit of poke, then he moved to 'murica and it sat on his dads driveway for over a year looking in a sorry state. Next thing I know his younger brother (my friend) turns up at mine in it, all insured etc... And the more I saw it the more I loved it! I still didn't know much about them and one day I stumbled across Cliosport.net and the more I saw the more I knew it was a car that I would one day own, little did I know it would be the one I ended up with.

So time goes on and I start getting sick of commuting on motorbikes getting soaked and cold all the time, not to mention it's getting more and more dangerous every day being on two wheels, so I did my car test and started saving for a car. I had a grand saved up and didn't know what to get, and looking at insurance quotes for your typical 1.2's etc it wasn't going to be anything special! Next thing I know I'm getting quotes on 172's and 182's and they were cheaper than all the other boring typical first cars I'd been looking at! Straight away I'm looking on the classifieds but start to lose hope very quickly as everything was out of my budget.

I'd always been into pedal bikes and rode downhill at the time, it was the one thing that let me escape the crap that life throws at you but I knew I had to sell the bike to pay for insurance for whatever car I was going to get, so a few days later the bike was gone.

9067329337_a3ef730890_c.jpg

11164500333_8b586a5f9d_c.jpg

I'd put so much blood, sweat and money into the bike, it was almost heartbreaking seeing someone else take it away, but greater good and whatnot.
Up to this point My friends 172 cup was used to get us and the bikes around and got filthy every weekend and he quickly lost interest in it, and wanted a small van for some reason.
I asked him how much he wanted for the cup and he just said give me an offer, so I offered him a grand and later that day I was the proud owner of a 172 cup!

He delivered it in it's typical state of cleanliness -

11164652133_9086a948c2_c.jpg

11164487556_678de78a6c_c.jpg

11164452895_28e051d92b_c.jpg

Straight away I started filling buckets and peeling all of the s**t stickers off, what a nightmare!
So after a clean the cup was starting to look presentable -

8688743619_fbd35d445e_c.jpg

8689858970_3799d929f8_c.jpg

8689856824_95e573fba7_c.jpg

I instantly fell in love with it after seeing it (what I thought was at the time) properly clean and retreated to a cuppa with my bank card in hand and ordered a solid engine mount, panel filter and dogbone bush kit as there was the typical knocking under hard acceleration, and a new exhaust as the standard one was rotten.

A couple days later I got my bits through, engine mount, panel filter and dogbone were obviously as described but the exhaust, an ebay bargain at £60 for a stainless cat back was a bit on the, lets say.... big side. The seller obviously hadn't figured out how to read a tape measure as the tip was a 4.5" not a 3.5" as described. So I called it a day on the car front as I'm already frustrated and come out the next day to this -

11164644703_8262f5fe23_c.jpg

My ever so helpful stepdad has fitted the awful exhaust and told me it looks 'fine'. Not to worry as I got a Cobra stainless system for another bargain £60 and proceeded to fit it, finding out it needs to be cut into the bumper (which I didn't want to do) So back to the drawing board on that, again.
Once again, helpful stepdad has helped out, but this time crossed the line and seriously annoyed me -

9115135419_03226c4b73_c.png

That's right, he's cut the bumper. Nob.
In the end I just lived with it, it sounded alright and wasn't too in your face, so it lives to see another day.

So I got round to fitting the engine mount and dogbone bushes, finding out one of the bolts for the dogbone was completely rounded off and I couldn't get it to budge so out came the grinder, and not long after I had both fitted.

11164510294_0dfc83a485_c.jpg

11164489256_048f53602a_c.jpg

Then I found the engine bay thread and ordered an engine cover, some paint and got to work -

11164512444_1f7927a8fb_c.jpg

I also did the front brake calipers in the same cadburys purple.
Next I took it for an MOT as it had run out so off it went, and it failed on n/s/f shock leaking and emissions, so after sorting that out I got the ok to come pick it up so after a call to the insurance company I left to go pick it up, massively excited! I couldn't believe it driving back that I'd got myself a car that I thought I wouldn't have for a long time and loved every second.

I went through a stage of wanting a better supporting seat so got myself a bucket but after a month or so I started to get irritated with the hassle of getting in and out of the car so that's now my office chair. I then realized that the reach for the steering wheel just didn't feel right so I got myself a deep dish wheel and it's made it so much nicer to drive!

I didn't do much for a while other than get a full scorpion system (cheap as chips too!) as I wanted to get the belts done so money needed to be saved, then found out on a bank holiday monday that I had 4 VERY bald tyres. So due to my stupidity for not keeping an eye on the tread levels I was stuck with needing 4 tyres there and then and had to break into the cambelt funds.
So after braking into the cambelt fund the brakes became terrible, and I mean you couldn't lock up the wheels in the wet. So discs and pads ordered from G172 I set to work changing the fronts. Drivers side, nice and quick with no problems and then I set to work on the passenger side... and one of the carrier bolts sheared off as it was seized solid. Did I mention this happened at about 8:30pm the night before the car was booked in with Dan at SJM to have the belts changed? Massive panic! Luckily my mate's a welder and he said he'd sort it out asap, and it held up the next day! Phew.

So Dan dropped me off at clarkes village and I was sat in costa and I got the text I had been waiting for... 'the timing's out'.
I had my suspicions as my mate told me he got the belts done cheap but at least it was in capable hands. The water pump didn't need doing but one of the rear shocks was dead so Dan changed them for me, and he was kind enough to sort out my exhaust as it was blowing.

Later on I get picked up by Dan and he explained what he'd done and that the previous belt job was a bit of a bodge but all was well and he thought it had a pretty strong engine which I was very happy to hear. We get back to SJM and part ways, I couldn't believe what a difference it had made, it felt like a new car! I didn't think I could like this car any more but now I really loved it!

Since then I attended the rolling road day with the southwest lot and eagerly awaited my turn, and finally get the go ahead.

I didn't know what to expect after what Dan had said but I was made up with the results, 183.6bhp!

That's up to date now but I have plans for next year, some power focused, some not, but I'll mainly be trying to sort out all the little dents/scrapes along the way. Thanks for reading.

Here's some of my favorite pictures I've taken of it since owning it to finish off.

9584281959_48b94dcc83_c.jpg

9587070640_98611b6a09_c.jpg

9954225253_d1453af6d0_c.jpg

10108140793_7c15b8d511_c.jpg

10108086716_2b489eaa5c_c.jpg

10404155495_cc9a33f15f_c.jpg

10404155816_51ef7d4772_c.jpg

10404308013_4981b8e516_c.jpg

11024102335_8ca5a1724b_c.jpg

11165583305_68895a6a9f_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! (Not Callum though,douche ;) ) it's getting the interior steam cleaned some time soon and lawro is kind enough to lend me his DA over Christmas so it'll get a good correction too. Just need to find someone that does dent removal and it'll be cosmetically sound.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Nice write up mate, your current exhaust is much better than the other one!

Not mentioned your knob extender? or is it for callum's eyes only? flol

Nice write up mate, your current exhaust is much better than the other one!

Not mentioned your knob extender? or is it for callum's eyes only? flol

Thanks Ed, To be honest I forgot about a few little bits, team hekos etc... But the pics show that anyway. I'll think about uploading some of 'the knob'. ;)

Nice mate. I'm currently on with mine. Got the turinis bought, coilovers @And a few other bits so far

Cool ,you got a project thread? What coilovers have you gone for? Also, what wheels came on yours?

Very nice mate was a good little read going through this thread.

Thanks! :)

looking good :) How comes you polished your lights then? they looked ok in the first pics?

Yeah it's odd, they only went like that after sitting on my driveway for about a month, it was cleaned every couple weeks anyway so I don't know how/why they went milky. They don't look too bad now but I'd like to get some xenons or new lenses next year.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
how odd, they normally take ages to go hazy. Wonder if it was one of the products you used on it? That petrol station pic is my favorite.

I saved my cup from a bit of an idiot to be honest. He had sold the wheels and put it on steelies, running it without an air filter because I quote "sounds mint without it on".

My my cars needing some work, I got vmaxx coilovers and it's currently on 172 sport wheels in black which will be coming off for the turinis.

how odd, they normally take ages to go hazy. Wonder if it was one of the products you used on it? That petrol station pic is my favorite.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I didn't know bugger all about detailing back then so it was only washed with Megs gold shampoo. I almost didn't get that pic, the lights were extremely bright and it was hard to get a decent shot that wasn't over exposed. I'm glad I persisted though! Oh and if you hadn't figured it out, early saturday morning (2-3am) is great as it's a ghost town.

I saved my cup from a bit of an idiot to be honest. He had sold the wheels and put it on steelies, running it without an air filter because I quote "sounds mint without it on".

My my cars needing some work, I got vmaxx coilovers and it's currently on 172 sport wheels in black which will be coming off for the turinis.

Same here, my mate (well not mate anymore) was the biggest corner cutter going. Wrong plugs, nuts and bolts missing, brakes bodged, you name it. I've spent over £1500 just getting bits sorted back to how they should be!
I'm looking into vmaxx's but I don't want to lose any handling, I only want to lower the car a bit more.

So I've done a couple bits in the past few weeks, one was spraying the A pillars to match the dash. I never noticed that the dash was black, A pillars grey and the roof lining cream. While there's no cheap fix for the roof lining I set about spraying the A pillars satin black.

7ady9a3a.jpg

u3e3equ2.jpg

Today I had a go at installing a second boot light in the handle on the inside of the boot. Now when @McGherkin was explaining how he did his, he failed to mention it was an absolute tw@t to get the cable in and around the inside of the boot skin, but I got it through eventually. I've just been out and got the first glimpse of how it lights everything up and I have to say I'm very impressed.

edy8u9uj.jpg

ajysavy3.jpg

6e9yjyre.jpg

ypy3a7a2.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bless your stepdad. I think you're a bit harsh on him.

Car's looking good though. Spray that black fire proof mat at the back of the engine with a cheapo can of satin black. It will look brand new. Takes less than 30 seconds to do and makes a massive difference.

Bless your stepdad. I think you're a bit harsh on him.

Car's looking good though. Spray that black fire proof mat at the back of the engine with a cheapo can of satin black. It will look brand new. Takes less than 30 seconds to do and makes a massive difference.

He's a good guy, just tends to get on with things without asking if they need doing!

I actually forgot to add that I have sprayed the mat, and it does make a lot of difference. I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with the aluminum stuff that a lot of the tracked/TB'd cars use, looks a lot cleaner IMO.

Bit of an update, not had a whole lot going on with the car minus some new tyres as I hit a pothole and got a nail in a couple tyres so my last set hasn't lasted very long at all.

I got bored of the purple so I took the engine cover off and repainted the inlet manifold and fuel rail guard, and started painting the rocker cover, but got sidetracked halfway through so it's only half painted until this weekend.
I also got a Forge intake hose for christmas along with a cone filter for some antisocial noises and grin factor.

12838793853_76c093bddb_c.jpg

I kept my eyes on some seats to replace the cup ones for something better looking, and ended up getting these -

12839315274_abe4d47a38_z.png

Not this exact set, but exactly the same barring the hole for harness straps in the base.

Then after getting some X-low subframes and a set of 3 point harnesses, they were in the car for about a week and at that point I decided what I ultimately wanted for the car.

12838790263_a94ecc4956_c.jpg

Rear seats taken out, and left like this for about another week, until I decided it just looked untidy left plain stripped, so today I headed out and got some good old rattle cans and went to town on the back floor.

12838412145_9cdf7d8b5a_c.jpg

So that's how it stands now, and I've got some bits lined up to buy just before CSS to hopefully get fitted in time, along with some new wheels.

looking good mate.. hoping to get some bits done to mine over the weekend.. was hoping to be fitting new seats but going to have to buy subframes now..

yes mate the cars looking a rite state though ive got seats out all stripped to see what i need to swap and wheels off ready for balancing after that massive pot hole..
looks like more money on sub frames now though..

yes mate the cars looking a rite state though ive got seats out all stripped to see what i need to swap and wheels off ready for balancing after that massive pot hole..
looks like more money on sub frames now though..

Yeah they're not cheap, and not easy to come by or at least they weren't when I was looking for them. One of the reasons I went for the fixed buckets.

i painted my boot floor too, looks much better !

Definitely! It makes all the difference, I'm just pondering removing all the rear plastics now.

yea they are expensive but i love the look of them.. they are like new the car had only done 11k.. cant stop thinking about a supercharger conversion for it now tho..