ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do most 182 hesitate on first key turn

Hi RSportlers,

Tell me, do all 182 hesitate on the first key turn ? Has this anything to do with the bedding the engine in? Or maybe the fuel quality is to be blamed?

And a little Q about the typre pressure? Is 2.3 front and 2.1 back OK (in bar)?

Thank you.

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine hesitates and then rarely starts first time!

There is a supplement in the manual which gives the tyre pressures. 33 PSI front 30 PSI rear. Sorry I dont know what that equates to in bar.

Lee

I think its 14.7 psi to a bar so it works out about right. Id use the bar figures if your guage has them - Michelin being metric and all!

As for the hesitancy Ive only had this once so far...

172, Tiguan

Sounds a bit silly but rather than turning the key to start the car all the way round imediatly, I let the radar detector do its tests beeps then start the car.

A few seconds hesitation seems to make the car start first time.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

the only thing doing that Jon, is that the power cuts/surges when you start the car, so you are letting the unit power up, then surging it. So be careful.

My 182 seems to start fine (touches wood) although it exhibits the same behaviour as my 172 (stuttery performance until warmed up, between 1000 and 2500rpm)

My 182 starts first time but is by no means happy about it.... it then takes about 15-20 seconds of the engine being a little bubbly and laggy before it kicks into life and drives as normal.

172, Tiguan

Coco, I wondered if the few second hesitation allowed the fuel pump to whirl over and start up. I assumed that turning the key straight away may not allow the fuel pump to arm?

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 20 July 2004

Coco, I wondered if the few second hesitation allowed the fuel pump to whirl over and start up. I assumed that turning the key straight away may not allow the fuel pump to arm?
I always turn the key on the Uno to prime the pump and wait about five seconds for the system to pressurise before hitting the engine start button.

Lee

BMW M2C

I always let all the lights go out on the dash before I turn it to start the engine. I never rush the little fella.

Mr2 Roadster

Has been ages fella. I want to change it for the lit one but seeing as the button is hidden from evil eyes anyway, theres no point!

(two imobilisers, 1 alarm, 1 stoplock, a hidden start button and a removed fuse... Good luck thieves)

[Edited by NickyB on 20 July 2004 at 11:07am]

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I jump in,turn and allow things to power up and lights go out,this all takes the time it takes to put on my seatbelt.Then start.

Now thats convienient !

dk

911 GTS Cab

yes, i turn it part way and wait a few seconds before going the whole way, she seems to like it better like that!

3 Series xdrive

mine does it sometimes, but in saying that my 1.216v extreme done the same, so i think its just a renault thing!!!

It is the fuel pump mate - it was the same in my Pug 1.9GTi

If left over night the fuel drains from the injection unit etc. turning the key primes the injectors... without it it doesnt start first time on my 172. However, drive for a mile and stop.. then start it and it goes first time.

Just give in 20secs to wake up in the morning :D

Okay, mateys,

So to sum up:
1 Turn the key to the contact position
2 Wait for lights to go off
3 Turn the key all the way

Its similar to waking my 20-month old daughter. She needs some time to get awake, but when she does, then everything goes rocket way including diapers, njammy, njammy and so forth.

skoda and audi

I have mine in the garage a few times for this and they couldnt find the fault.I have had it back in since for another problem and was speaking to the service manager and he told me that renault have found it to be a faulty sensor on the flywheel.Has luck would have it mine as started first time now for the last 3 weeks .

The cars are French. Give them a bottle of red or an increase in their fishing quota and they will always obey.

Mines fines as long as you dont rush !!

Quote: Originally posted by tonk_172 on 20 July 2004

I have mine in the garage a few times for this and they couldnt find the fault.I have had it back in since for another problem and was speaking to the service manager and he told me that renault have found it to be a faulty sensor on the flywheel.Has luck would have it mine as started first time now for the last 3 weeks .
Ive heard this one too about a faulty sensor causing this. Also heard that disconnecting your battery for a few hours thus resetting the ECU can also help.

ClioSport 182

Finally, I think that Ive found a workaround to the "not starting first time in the morning" problem. Basically:

1. Turn the key to the contact position
2. Wait for lights to go off

3. Turn the key back to the off position <---- HERE IS THE TRICK

4. Turn the key to the contact position
5. Wait for lights to go off
6. Turn the key all the way and she should start FIRST TIME!!

Let me know if this works for anyone else. This may be a coincidence but it has worked for me a treat so far.

KnightAzul

ClioSport 182

Ok, now I think Ive finally got this one nailed, which also explains why the workaround works (turn on the ignition two times before starting).

When I turn on the ignition the second time I can hear a whoosh sound which appears to come from under the car on the drivers side (btw: I have a left hand drive car here in Spain) which could be the fuel pump starting?

But on the first turn of the ignition I never get this sound ... hence car doesnt start (or struggles to start at best).

Anyone know what this might be?

KnightAzul

Yaris Hybrid

My car has a load stuff wrong with it but it starts absolutely fine. Never had a single problem. Turn the key, wait for the lights to go out and then engage the start motor. Fires up instantly and is not lumpy either.

As for fuel, the dealer handed it over with a brimmed tank of 95 RON and it still started fine. Running on 98 RON now.

Full Fat 182 - Was..

get in, put the key in and turn it to the pre-start setting

Put your seatbelt on

and by this time the lights should have gone out as the self checklist has been completed by the ECU

start the car

take it easy for the first few minutes untill car is awake and ready for action

My car will drive sluggishly for about 60-90 seconds then behave normaly, i can drive it down the road at a set speed and after the choke and rest of the systems are warm and ready the car accelerates up to its normal speed on its own with out me pressing the accelerator any further

then all is fine

ClioSport 182

Ok, lets wind the clock back a few months ...

Lots of new 182 owners were complaining about their 182 not starting first time, including myself ... this was *after* following all of the good advice of: waiting for all the lights to go out, putting the seat belt on, using 98RON, etc. Also this should not be confused with lumpy and sluggish running for the first few mins. This relates only to *starting the car with the ignition*.

Now, anyone can anyone help me with identifying the sound that I am hearing on the second turn of the ignition which seems to be the root cause of all of this ...

Thanks,

KnightAzul

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by KnightAzul on 18 October 2004

Ok, now I think Ive finally got this one nailed, which also explains why the workaround works (turn on the ignition two times before starting).

When I turn on the ignition the second time I can hear a whoosh sound which appears to come from under the car on the drivers side (btw: I have a left hand drive car here in Spain) which could be the fuel pump starting?

But on the first turn of the ignition I never get this sound ... hence car doesnt start (or struggles to start at best).

Anyone know what this might be?

KnightAzul
no mate, mine does the whoosh sound on the first turn, so i turn it until the lights go out and then complete the turn and it works fine.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mine just starts?

It dont start like previous cars ive had, i put that down to it being different.

Does nobody press the clutch in (or should that be de-press) before starting up, to take some load off the engine?

Just a thought as no-one mentioned it.

Sunshine Bus ph-quick

aww all these ickle clios not liking starting.I had the first little tantrum off my RT last night..naughty clio!

BMX

Quote: Originally posted by chris182 on 19 October 2004

Does nobody press the clutch in (or should that be de-press) before starting up, to take some load off the engine?

Just a thought as no-one mentioned it.
Yep, I always do that. But then Ive never has a starting problem either.

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5

My 172 has been in 3 times for not starting and supposidly something was found the second time - all they said was a faulty part.

But not only would it not start first time, it would not start at all, no matter what amount of resetting the ignition etc was done (would turn over but not fire).

Since then I turn the ignition on and wait for the "oil ok" indicator to come up on the dash then fire. Not had a single problem since. All part of the Renault "Character"

Honda Euro starts with one single turn :)