ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you declare your mods

Im with Liverpool Victoria and I havent declared my mods. Ive only got alloys, exhaust, K&N, and lowering (plus some other bits n bobs) and i didnt see any point in bothering as I can put them back if i ever had to claim. If I declared them would it cost me s**t loads? Im worried that if i claim and they catch me with mods theyll turn theyre back on me

Dont think Liverpool Victoria would care.

Ring them.. think they just allow mods unless engine cc changes (according to other people on this site!)

2004 1.2 Dynamique

I declared my alloys spolier and exhaust and m chepest quote was 2,300 (im 17) therefore insured it in my mums name for 1089 i wish i didnt declare anything now either because my excess if i was to claim is 800 quid

williams 2 turbo

tell um, if your in a bad smack and your car gets taken to storage, dont think thell be happy bout you going to pound to change airfilters, springs, everything else. trust me i speak from experience. anything not declared, they wont pay out, that includes third pary cars.

Declare all mods, its just not worht it if you dont. If you have an accident and they find out you didnt declare slightest mod they can just say bollox to you and not pay out.

I am with liverpool victoria and i have delared all my mods , like lowering , colour coding , new spoiler , new bumper , skirts , alloys and that have just noted them on the policy they have not but the premuim up. They only cost you if you increase the size of the engine they told me

Gregg

2004 1.2 Dynamique

with my xcess standing at 800 pound though im not gonna exactly claim anyways, look at it this way if i have to pay 800 to my claim, arnt i better off just paying everything not telling the insurance company and keeping my no claims, whereas if i claim il have ot pay 800 excess, then theyl just wack another 500 quid onto my insurance next time when i come round to pay it

it sucks

don't

ive declared mine, lowering, de-cat, alloys, ice

but it dont cost me anythin extra, if i was guna b charged loads extra then id probly not b so sure

declare your mods, its stupid not to. Just do a search on here, a few people have lost there claims due to not declaring mods.

Imagine if you seriously injured someone in an accident, and you had your insurance voided, you could be sued by the third party and have to pay it all out your own pocket.

111s

Id only declare wheels if you change size.

Springs are a grey area, you really ought to declare them as they alter the characteristics of the car, but what inspector is going to notice a 10-15mm drop? Full suspension kits and coil overs i would declare though.

I wont be declaring k tec exhaust, its stainless as standard so ill only have replaced like for like. (On a 172 anyway) But for probably half the price of renaults standard effort.

I would declare them all if i was you no matter what they are saves hassle if something ever happens - god forbid!

I have declared mine and it isnt very expensive really?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yes, declare your mods as youre not covered if you have an accident...

If you have an accident and the insurance assesor discovers any un declared modifications - YOU ARE NOT INSURED. It is a simple as that. You will then be sued by any 3rd party involved in the accident and you will have to pay any claim made against you out of your own pocket. Whilst this is going on the police will prosecute you for driving with no insurance.

[Edited by badgersport on 22 July 2004 at 12:51pm]

This is a bit of a grey area as far as I can tell and Im not sure all Ins companies have the same approach. For my motorbike my current insurance say Im not covered if I put my non-road-legal exhaust on... But I asked the question... I know of people who dont worry about it but it would seem to be a perfect excuse for the Insurers to dodge out of a claim - in which case all your buying is a piece of paper to allow you to tax your car!

They could argue their way out of a theft claim if you had non-standard alloys on the car on the basis that it would make it more attractive to sc**bag thieves. Up to you but you must be concerned to have asked the question on the forum here... Why dont you ask your insurers in some hypothetical way which doesnt let them know who you are (they are of course more likely to include mods before theyve had your cash though - and youd need it in writing to make it stick).

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

I havent decalared my mods but Im insured under my Dads name, and he is the main driver and he thinks that they will question that if they find out that the car is lowered and has an induction kit etc.

Infact that reminds me that I need to get my own insurance for my gap year.

Can I do a Tesco online quote?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Declare all your mods. I cant even see why this is, again, up for discussion. I have declared EVERY single modification to the nth degree.

You really are a dumb f**k if you mod and dont declare. If you cant afford the insurance hike from your mod, dont do it in the first place. Kn0bbers.
{Edit} Furthermore from what badgersport said, if you are found to have undeclared mods and as such are driving without Insurance the police will be round for a nice little chat and most likely give you points and a fine. Also, if you have no insurance your tax (road fund licence) is therfore void along with your current MOT (where applicable..)....

172 Cup

Some people will only learn the hard way. What would you do if you hit someone or a car? With no insurance youd be seriously screwed.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

With regards to insurance, "silence amounts to misrepresentation", with misrepresentation meaning lying.

By not declaring anything...you have in effect said "No my car is completely standard as it left the factory" in answer to their question, which is on every application form, "has the vehicle been modified in ANYWAY?".

If youve lied about modifications, your premiums based on a standard car. If they find out its not standard, the cover provided doesnt exist as the car youre driving is not the one theyve quoted for, so youre f***ed...pure and simple.

Its really not worth it...

Quote: Originally posted by LondonLad5 on 22 July 2004

does anyone know if elephant.co.uk will charge u more for mods?
Yes they do..

And depending on the car, its quite steep.. as it goes up by percentage relating to the risk of the car or something, heh. So, when he told me that, I took it as: "Lowering a 1.2 wont cost as much as lowering a 2.0"

BMW X5

What about Norwich Union people? Will they put up cover for 17s and an induction kit on a 1.2?

Considering the 17s actually make me slower!!!!!

Dave

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Yes because the modifications you have done alter the performance and look of your vehicle - therefore it is more likely someone will steal it.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

DECLARE IT ALL!

YOU CANT SWAP-EM-BACK if your in traction in Hospital!

£100.00 now or £0.00 payout for a 5, 10K or 15K motor??

if keep total value under £1000 should be very cheap!

IMO only delcare the stuff that can be seen!!

On the likes of my valver, they dont know about chip, cams or decat and have only mentioned the lowering and tints.

TBH after 2 write offs i dont think theyre that thorough anyway. My 1.4 (non-turbo) was lowered to the weeds and they never noticed. My megane had 17s, 285 discs, full (bright yellow) PI lowering kit, splitter and they still paid out...

Either way, you drive a mk 1 - chances are if you crash youll be going so quick your mods will just rip off and the car practically disintegrate!

[Edited by u33db on 7/22/2004 3:54:21 PM]

thanks for the help fellas! think ill give em a ring, im with liverpool victoria so hopefully they wont mind. although if they do i cant exactly say "oh i was only kidding", lol, cos theyll know then. if i crashed (again!) i doubt id claim anyway unless i wrote the car off, im really trying to build some NCB

I can understand the predicament . ie lots of ££££s

But imagine you are in a car crash, you hit a car (by accident) and you severely disable/kill someone. Normally this injured person could claim on your insurance so that they may have some compensation.

Difference is, if you dont declare you mods, they insurance company may not pay out. I know i couldnt live with that guilt on my conscience.

Its worse case scenario, granted. But these things do happen. Its not just about you losing £10ks worth of car, its someones life and livelyhood.

Da

Less

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 22 July 2004

just ask connor, nuff said
seconded!!! Its simple really- not declared = not insured!!! It seriously aint worth the risk mate!!

Got all my mods declared mate and It was only the springs and bodykit that have affected my premium as it went up 2 insurance groups I think.

Its definately better to ask the question though as all the different insurance companys seem to look at mods differently

Clio 197

liverpool vic dont mind about mods as long as the cc of the engine doesnt increase -FACT! i renewed on friday and re-iterated this to them and they confiremed that they still operate based on this, they dont want pics or a list of the mods and the operator said if you happened to crash let us know what was modified at the time of the accident and we will take it fro their!