ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you need an oil filter tool?

ValverInBits
No.
1) Wipe the filter with a rag (touch of white spirit if you like)
2) Try turning with your hand
3) if you really can't shift it, use a fairly sharp screwdriver and a hammer, punch the screwdriver all the way through and turn.

You'll be unlucky if it can't be done by hand tbh

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
If you can't undo with one hand then use two :)
The screwdriver method works but do it towards the end or you risk damaging the spindle it threads onto.

Mk5 golf gti
Get a tool for the sake of a few quid as its much easier considering there isnt much room to play with

Mk5 golf gti
so it can be done by hand? thats all I wanted to hear :)

No not always last time i changed the filter on mine it must not of been oiled on the seal the previous time and was tight as f**k
so has to use the filter strap.

Screwdriver is a big no no i would have my balls cut off if caught doing that :)

Clio 172
Also do you really need to replace the copper washer when replacing the oil? Can you just walk into Reno and get one?

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Girl hands ftl

Mr Righty has never let me down :-D

Also do you really need to replace the copper washer when replacing the oil? Can you just walk into Reno and get one?
I really would replace it every time (should cost ~50p from a local motor spares/factor). I tried to script before and got an annoying drip-drip.

Clio 172
No.
1) Wipe the filter with a rag (touch of white spirit if you like)
2) Try turning with your hand
3) if you really can't shift it, use a fairly sharp screwdriver and a hammer, punch the screwdriver all the way through and turn.

If you can't turn by hand, wrap some sand paper around the filter and try again, usually works for me;)

monaco 172
did mine today and it was tight as hell, but ive got a chain which attaches to a rachet which worked a treat

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Proper, full on, n00b question, change the filter before or after changing the oil? Or whilst it's empty?

I can honestly say I've never bothered to change one myself before.

monaco 172
I drop the oil, and while that's draining take off the filter and allow the lot to drain for a while. Then fit new filter, put sump plug in and fill it up.

Suzuki Ignis
Proper, full on, n00b question, change the filter before or after changing the oil? Or whilst it's empty?

I can honestly say I've never bothered to change one myself before.

Drain oil
Take off oil filter
Put the plug back in
Put some new oil into the filter and smear a bit around the seal
Put on new filter
Fill up
Check dip stick

Done.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hey man, I'm a pro!

I've done quite a bit myself, but there's some thing I've just always used a garage for due to lack of tools, oil changes etc was one of them, only recently having space/time/confidence to work on the car means that until something comes around to be done, I have no knowledge of it, I can fit coilies, engine mounts, ball joints etc, I've just never bothered to do my own oil change.

I'm not as bad a Luke :( lol!

Oh, and serious Question Gray, where do I get me a sump washer? Got to come from Renault or any motorfactors?

Last edited:
  SG9 Forester STi
I've always used a strap spanner when doing mine.

Rob, you can get a sump washer and oil filter for around £9 from Renault if you use your CS card :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
CS card? In Renault? Really? I imagine they'd just look at me like I'm a nut.

I've already ordered a bosche filter from ECP, so just need me a washer.

340i
yeah renault are just as cheap... for the price I always use genuine filter (like £1 more than a motorfactors branded one)

SG9 Forester STi
CS card? In Renault? Really? I imagine they'd just look at me like I'm a nut.

I've already ordered a bosche filter from ECP, so just need me a washer.

Lol yeah, I only discovered this about a year ago.

You just say you have a cliosport membership card and they take your membership no. and then give you monies off :D

Probably the only two parts that are reasonably priced at Renault tbh.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
yeah renault are just as cheap... for the price I always use genuine filter (like £1 more than a motorfactors branded one)

Surely a bosche one will be just as good? I just need to go get a sump washer from somewhere, Renault isn't an option for me, as now....

"Parts close at 5 and no London brances are open weekends"

Screwed.

Every time I read someone saying "ram a screw driver through it and turn" I cringe

The amount of people i've seen do this and then turning just rips the end of the filter off and then leaves you half a filter stuck to your engine that you can't get off!

They're supposed to only be on hand tight - but if you cant get it off just buy a proper oil filter wrench - they are cheap as chips and saves you knackering your engine by following daft advice on here lol

SG9 Forester STi
Surely a bosche one will be just as good? I just need to go get a sump washer from somewhere, Renault isn't an option for me, as now....

"Parts close at 5 and no London brances are open weekends"

Screwed.

I know they do them at Halfolds but i'm not sure whether or not they do the correct one as I've always got mine from Renault.

340i
its not important you change the washer... half the time I dont change them, only if I remember to purchase one! ;) do not worry your little cotton socks x

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Why are people saying no to screwdriver method?

Not exactly like it's going to get reused hey...

Pikey yes.. does it work.. yes!

Jamie - because you can rip the end of the filter clean off (it's thin tin, not designed to be used to wrench the damn thing off) and you can hit the thread in the middle and damage that
It's a proper s**t way of doing it - if you need to save £4 on buying a wrench you shouldn't own a fast car!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Bugger, need to get me to a Renault, actually I'm off Friday, touch.

Gray - Wouldn't buy a new one, but my sump weeps from the plug, I hope this'll fix it.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate, I'll pop and get one this evening then.

Sod off, can't say it's something I've done before and I'm not too proud to ask! Fool.

/beef

Laguna sport tourer
i use a leather belt to remove the oil filter as it saves cutting your arms to pieces as it can be undone from above :D

Clio 197
a marigold on the hand has also worked for me in the past with a stubborn filter, but tbh there is plenty of room on the clio to get your hand in there without the use of a tool