ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you regret getting into detailing?

Not a 320d
For me, protected car is a must as it makes washing and drying so much easier and more rewarding, fortunately I have lost some of my interest as it was getting out of hand some years ago now. Like an addiction to drugs. I even own one of those blower things from polished bliss.

But why do I need to inspect every inch of paintwork in detail. As I walk up to my car in a carpark...

20 ft - Looks fukken great

10ft - looks dusty

5 foot - omfg swirlz

Literally at the 10 foot mark I begin to hate my car because of defects. Why do I have to be like this

RS6 C7
I hate it!

I just want to take my car to a Polish car wash but can't because it will come out all swirly. 99% of people don't notice swirls anyway!

Then when i go to clean it, it takes me half a day minimum :mad:

I've been out of it now for a good 6 months, used to be so anal about it.

havent washed my car by hand in about 3 months now, jet wash ftw.

I will eventually give it a good going over then continue with the jet wash.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I hate it!

I just want to take my car to a Polish car wash but can't because it will come out all swirly. 99% of people don't notice swirls anyway!

Then when i go to clean it, it takes me half a day minimum :mad:

This. I'm a fcuking valeter for goodness sake but I still take my own car to the russians. If I start cleaning it, I end up spending all day on it and getting very upset at the state of it. It's utterly pointless trying to keep it up together as the wife and kids just trash it.

Ph1 172 (titanium)
I don't regret it, but my god I've spent alot of money on different products!
And time wasted for it to be filthy again the next day!
(Living on a building site at the moment)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I dont mind doing mine on a nice day which is rare. Ive spent a fair whack on products myself

Hate it when it rains the next day after spending the whole day detailing it

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I hate my car when it's not clean, I can't go out if the sun is out and it's dirty FFS! All my work collegues think I am mental but I like to look after my possessions. I don't personally think there is anything wrong with it, just maybe a little too obsessive.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Correction, yes I'm very bored with trying my upmost not to treat my car like it should be in a bubble.

keeping it well protected and shiny is good enough for me at the moment.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Im not into it at all, might give it a try but I can think of lots of things I prefer to do, besides that if you spend too much time you can get neurotic about getting it scratched ffs its a car, drive it and enjoy it but don't let it control your life..

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Lol Toby, I still can't believe you went black! I do ant don't regret getting in to it.. It helps to have a silver car!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I don't mind too much because it doesn't dictate my life. My cars are rarely clean nowadays, but if I want to make it look good, I know I can.

Nope, I've spent my money on base products; got a cheap rotary, some decent pads and mezerna polishes etc, I treat myself to the odd new product, I think as much as I'd like to be able to afford the silly priced waxes and such I'm happier to just make do, I could see myself easily spiraling out of control because it is addictive.

Just spend the evening cleaning the car and then going over it with a gloss pad and some prima amigo again. Sealed it with cheap colli 845, results are great for my standards and it hasnt cost a bomb.

Not a 320d
Lol Toby, I still can't believe you went black! I do ant don't regret getting in to it.. It helps to have a silver car!

Its my second black car. I should have know better. Alarm bells were ringing but I ignored.

This is the only time I like black. - In the first day or so after washing.

WP_000078_zps9092ea53.jpg

Audi A5
Detailing is still very new to me so I've not spent a fortune yet, I don't regret it at all though, I feel it's a good hobby to get into, not too expensive and its a good skill to have.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It has it's pros and it's cons. The general public do recognise a properly detailed car over a clean one. I know that as fact now.

From the Frp, TT, Trophy. Properly clean cars sell, mostly to enthusiasts of course. But still it shows it's been properly looked after imo. Even though it might be mechanically hanging!

Anyway at times I wish I simply didn't give a f**k but seriously once i've finished that final wipe down in the Sunday sun knowing I won't have to detail the car for another 6 months it's more than worth it.

People think there car is clean until they get it "properly" detailed. The difference can be night and day.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I have a shed load of kit now, mainly Auto Finnesse stuff. Now I'm CQ Finest, I don't get to use any haha, girlfirends loving it though as I dabble with her car now.

I cant go into halfrauds or any car shop for that matter and not buy something, and when they have 3 for 2 I have to limit myself, ive been known to come out with buckets, squeegees and 2 1ltr bottles of auto glym before now. Not because i need them just because there on offer and have duplicates of everything.

My cars only a 1.2 but it gets cleaned at minimum every fortnight, but have done it 2 twice a week if the feeling gets me, I've had my neighbours ask me about it (if your not cleaning it the bonnets up :butt:), it is truly an addiction and the only bad point about it is that its gone from Royal Blue to a slight shade of purple.