ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgey copy of windows XP

A4 Avant
A guy at work had his computer reformated with windows XP Media Centre by a company about a year ago. Everything has been fine untill recently when he's getting a notification saying it's not a genuine copy. The company are no longer trading, so what are his options for the future?

Can he purchase XP media centre and just use the new product key? Is it still available to purchase and does anyone know of a good price?

If he can't get XP media centre can he upgrade to Vista home without overwriting all his programmes? If this is better where is the best place price wise to get a copy from?

Just seen this on PCworld website, any good?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=423902&category_oid=

I'd prefer to just replace his product key as it's less work for me as I won't be paid for the work. He'd rather try and upgrade to Vista.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah it just takes you to the microsoft website where you can buy a key.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
you can ring up microsoft direct, you get through to an automated robot thing...

if you follow the steps it will give you a new product code (providing the answers you give aren't dodgy)

M2 / Golf GTI
Call microsoft say your comp burnt out and you need a new product key because says the original is registered :)

Not a Clio
Call MS and give then all the details and just see what they say. For a time I think they were offering free/discounted copies of XP if you found yours was pirated. Depending what he uses his pc for it might be worth considering a free OS (Linux).

Shed.
you could...maybe....perhaps....visit certain websites....and "get hold of" being the key phrase here a copy of the running system. Theres a lot out at the moment which have the WGA removed from it. I however have a genuine copy of XP (actually im being serious).

/runs

A4 Avant
It's definately a dodgey copy from what he's told me.

I can't get access to the computer until Monday.

What details do Microsoft need, I don't want to get him in trouble as I think his son has put other bits of dodgey software on there as well.

He's really pushing me to upgrade it to vista for him, I take it I'd have to back up all his documents and reinstall his programmes?

Not a Clio
Haven't a clue what they'd need or even if they'll help any more, can you still buy XP, I'm not sure?

You can get FULL (not an upgrade) Vista Home Premium OEM for around £70. Would be a lot cleaner than trying to upgrade if that's possible from that version. So yes you'd have to backup whatever he wanted keeping and reinstall programs. Will his machine handle Vista? Is all his hardware compatible?

A4 Avant
Haven't a clue what they'd need or even if they'll help any more, can you still buy XP, I'm not sure?

You can get FULL (not an upgrade) Vista Home Premium OEM for around £70. Would be a lot cleaner than trying to upgrade if that's possible from that version. So yes you'd have to backup whatever he wanted keeping and reinstall programs. Will his machine handle Vista? Is all his hardware compatible?

God knows about if it can either run vista. I don't know the specs of it. I think it's an athlon 64 3000.

TBH I don't want the hassle of spending hours reinstalling windows and all his programmes.:dapprove:

Not a Clio
I found Vista installed fairly quickly to be fair. Surely he can do a simple thing like install the programs he wants?

Processor wise he should be ok but he wants a minimum of 2GB memory.
There is an upgrade advisor to see if his hardware will be compatible but if he hasn't got a genuine copy of XP I don't think he can download it.