ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy Rev Counter

Ever since i bought my 1.4 RT the rev counter has been dodgy.

When i start the car it will work for about a minue sometimes less than that then it cuts out. So for short journeys i am without the rev counter.

But if i am driving for more than 1hr/2hrs it will tend to all of a sudden start working again and keep working until i turn off the engine. then when i restart it its dead again!.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem with their rev counter? or a similar one? i spoke to a bloke months ago who said it could be a mechanical fault or the sensor in the gearbox.

im hoping its the dials not the gearbox sensor, shall i just replace the dials?did that cure the problem for people in the past?

cheers

C

chip16v

i had a mate with an rt who had the same problem. he wrote the car of before he got the problem fixed :D so i cant really help you

jay is the coil module able to die or cause an intermitent fault?

trouble is, because it works sometimes then not it sounds like an electrical prob.

could i test it using an ammeter?

Chris, when i say it cuts out i mean it is at say 3000rpm then will drop to zero (rest) and stay like it. I guess this isnt what u meant by it sticking?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i would check the coil connections and instrument panel connections.carry out a continuity check of the wiring between these two parts.i would have to check the connector pin numbers/locations though.

ok ill have a look. may just be a dodgy dash tho. i have tried to get the dash out before but havent been able to get the speedo cable to detach. do i have to twist it or does it just pull out?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you squeeze the end and pull it off.you can normally flick it off with a screwdriver.remove the lower dash trim and you can see the cable.put your screwdriver up the gap and flick off the cable.you can also push the cable back on this way with a screwdriver if theres not much slack in the cable.