ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does a 197 or 200 engine fit in a 182, and if not why not?

RB Clio 182 Cup
Simple question really, can you get a 197 or 200 engine in to a 182? If you can't why not, what's different about them?

Does anyone have a link to a guide of what's changed between the engines because they are all based on the same one aren't they?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Dont think there is much point mate. The 197 engine is exactly the same as a 182 engine bar a different manifold and some other bits and bobs.

I may be wrong though, although i do know its the same basic engine 100% :eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Apart from it maybe not fitting, why would you want to anyway?

I cant imagine there would be many 197/200 engines about anyway...?

I think there around £4.5-5.5k from Renault..?c

Megane RS 250
It's a lot easier to modify the 182 engine to increase the power to the 200 level (which has not 200 real horse power...). The real advantage of the 200 is the gearbox, 6 gear and much sweeter to use, the brakes and the chassis.

If you want to change the engine is better to go with the megane 225 a bit tuned.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Does it not run a wider block? The gearbox is much bigger and also the 197 inlet wont fit under the bonnet ;)

Titanium 182
Doesn't the intlet plenum catch on something ? and the gearbox has issues fitting right too ?

Meh.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's an interesting one this, if you look at the photos of the bottom ends between both a 182 and a 197 engine you can clearly see that they run a different setup with regards to the alternator/water pump/power steering.

The 197 block looks Identical to the megane 225 F4RT block, however if you look at pics of the cylinderhead it looks as though it shares the same head as a 182 (with different size ports) as it has the same breather blanking plate.

We all know that the 182 runs a jc5 gearbox, but the 197 runs a 6 speed tl4 gearbox.

Now there are a couple of unknowns, the jc5 and tl4 have never been measured side by side so it's difficult to say if it will fit in the bay, on the flip side though if it's a case that the bottom ends are identical between the 197 and 225 then why not just fit the megane engine in? if the tl4 box is shorter then you could possibly use that instead of the large ND0 box found on the meganes. You'd probably have to get custom drive shafts though.

M

mini-valver

Its the head and inlet manifold you want. While the head is off, open up the exhaust ports too as they're tiny for emissions. Mate that to a 182 block and you're laughing.

Ideally you'd want to take advantage of the 197 VVT too but I'm unsure of how you'd get it to work with the Sirius ECU.

PH1 172 Sport
Does it not run a wider block? The gearbox is much bigger and also the 197 inlet wont fit under the bonnet ;)

The inlet does fit. Someone on the Australian forum has fitted the inlet to his 172/182. There's a thread on it somewhere

Da

Less
The gearbox will fit too, with work. If I remember correctly, Fred proved this point by fitting one ;)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Its the head and inlet manifold you want. While the head is off, open up the exhaust ports too as they're tiny for emissions. Mate that to a 182 block and you're laughing.

Ideally you'd want to take advantage of the 197 VVT too but I'm unsure of how you'd get it to work with the Sirius ECU.

It's not as easy as that, as they run a different cambelt set up.

Besides why not just fit the megane 225 head complete with turbo etc....

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's all about the boost!

This could be a great conversion for someone with a bit of mechanical know how. The twin scroll turbo off the meg would give great low down instant power you could even route your intercooler pipework over the top of the engine the same as a 225, obviously you'd have to lower the boost due to the high compression ratio but I'd still expect 220+ bhp with 220+ lb/ft. you could probably do this conversion for easily less than a grand if you shop wisely. In fact Fred don't you have a F4RT engine kicking around?:)

pu

Probably wouldnt, but put a cable throttle on and an EC1 ecu and it would be VERY good.

It's all about the boost!

This could be a great conversion for someone with a bit of mechanical know how. The twin scroll turbo off the meg would give great low down instant power you could even route your intercooler pipework over the top of the engine the same as a 225, obviously you'd have to lower the boost due to the high compression ratio but I'd still expect 220+ bhp with 220+ lb/ft. you could probably do this conversion for easily less than a grand if you shop wisely. In fact Fred don't you have a F4RT engine kicking around?:)

Ive seen it done once or twice...Andy has put F4RT pistons in an F4R block, running the F4RT head and turbo setup etc. Tapped a thread into the head for the F4R cambelt idler...then just bolted the JC5 box on and dropped it in..

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Ive seen it done once or twice...Andy has put F4RT pistons in an F4R block, running the F4RT head and turbo setup etc. Tapped a thread into the head for the F4R cambelt idler...then just bolted the JC5 box on and dropped it in..

Jord I've been helping Andy with it, it was actually my idea to put the head onto a stock block and I gave him a spare block I had. His initial plan was to use a complete F4RT engine and machine the F4RT block to accept the jc5 box.

Ah cool!

I wouldnt have bothered doing a custom bellhousing for a JC5 if I was going down that route, id find a better stronger box that could take more power in the future if thats what the plan was...Chris/Scoff with his O2J box is a good example, although custom shafts are then needed etc etc, depends how custom you want to go I guess!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
The amount of fabrication that went into Scoffs VAG gearbox conversion is more than I could do.
I have looked at loads of renault/volvo gearboxes to see what would be a feasible option, probably the best out of the lot would be the m56 used on T5's as theres some mega powered ones running around problem free. However the starter motor is at the front of the engine rather than the rear. And I've not had a chance to see how big they are.
I'll just see how the DCI box goes when I'm up and running and take it from there.

pu

Probably wouldnt, but put a cable throttle on and an EC1 ecu and it would be VERY good.

Put an EC2 on it and you can run DBW as well! Only caveat is we won't supply this for road use, at all, as obviously it's not type approved.

I'll shortly be running DBW throttle bodies on my Xsara with a BMW E46 M3 throttle motor and a VAG pedal position sensor :D

BLK RSC172
still amazed at the 230bhp on ITB's and grpN cams "claim", that's 205bhp in english, bloody aussies! LOL
and?

here are some of the lastest pics of my setup..
the engine makes about 110kw atw.. and feels very strong between 3k8 and 7k0 rpm... as thats where most of the torque is made.. other then that it drives like a normal clio while commuting..

and a youtube clip if ya intrested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5A0EE8SVg

Cheers.

Lionel Richie
cool video and impressive work, i like seeing different things in this game! :D

an ITB clio still don't do 230bhp on 420's ;)

BLK RSC172
yea getting the tuning right was an absoloute b**ch.. and getting the correct software was half the task...
we were gonna use some heavier cams,, has anyone here gotten a 1*2 to idle with 421 cams with a stock ecu??

Last edited:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
If you do a search mate you'll find that the wild overlap is too much for the stock ECU, however you could try Ktec to see if their Gen 90 will run it as there using it for ll the boosted/itb conversions

I think a 6-speed conversion using the 197 gearbox would be a nice modification, more for the shift quality than for the 6th cog! (although it'd make the gearing shorter overall anyway!). Although the 182 box is ok, the 197 shift is very very nice.