ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does anyone in the North West actually know how to paint a bumper?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Trust me it's far worse than the pictures show...

3 times I've had this bumper done for various issues, the paint must be an inch thick by now!

Originally I asked for the wings and bonnet to be blended but I'm glad they ignored me now or I'd be trying to correct even more - In the dark it actually looks pretty clo... actually even in the dark it's the wrong colour...

I've completely fell out with it at the moment until it's fixed, the annoying thing is the rest of the car is now pretty much perfect paint wise.

2013-08-12061136_zpsc386f5ee.jpg

2013-08-12061255_zps465d645c.jpg

2013-08-12061211_zps8a181a11.jpg

2013-08-12061221_zps18b27a28.jpg

Anyone any recommendations?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I need to get better pictures but it's not even close - I was more than happy for them to blow into the next panels but even then it would have looked wrong.

It's like a titanium bumper on an iceberg car, even blending in would make it look more like a cut and shut!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont rule out that the bonnet may already have been painted slightly wrong along the front edge to lose stone chips so you might be asking them to match to a colour that isnt as it should be.

As above only way to be sure is to blend it into the surrounding panels, but TBH given the value of the car I'd just leave it now, its not really *that* bad anyway, and like Budgie says most renaults are terrible for this anyway.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Bonnet has never been painted - I'm 1000% on that. And I asked them to blend, they didn't and said it's not needed as it's now correct. I know what you're saying about Renaults paint but I was totally happy with the original paint match.

I'm going to have to get better pictures as it doesn't show it's true variation. And Chip I'm surprised by your comment on the value. Value is totally irrelevant.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
And Chip I'm surprised by your comment on the value. Value is totally irrelevant.

No offence intended, just I hate spending money on paint that I will never get back personally.
But then again I will happily put a 10K engine in a 1K car, but I guess I view that as something I can actually enjoy where as paintwork I cant, but then Im not one for looking at cars really and prefer to drive them, where as if you enjoy looking at your car, I guess it makes sense to spend quite a lot of money on it just looking slightly better, just like I will spend quite a lot of money to make a car go just slightly better :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^ I think that's both sides of the coin with me - I can quite happily spend a fair few quid on bits that no-one else will ever see.

I don't enjoy looking at my car per se I think I'm more mad that it's been made worse by actually spending money. I guess it's like you spending a few hundred quid on a engine part that makes the car slower :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I don't enjoy looking at my car per se I think I'm more mad that it's been made worse by actually spending money. I guess it's like you spending a few hundred quid on a engine part that makes the car slower :)

Yes can certainly see why it would annoy you that you pay to make it better and it gets worse!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Anyhoo the whole point of getting the front done was so that I could concentrate on making it (much) faster ;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Very true but I'll have put them there - rapidly hopefully :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well with my inch thick paint they've got a fight on their hands!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Paint actually chips worse on thicker paint. ;) Will reply to your pm in a bit mate.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I think this explains the difference better to what it was before...

Before

Capture_zps4ca3657a.jpg

After

Capture1_zps654b2fe7.jpg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Just to update this I got the car back earlier this week from Carl at Brian Leighton Garages in Howden. If you want any work done contact Carl on here (smithandroper).

Anyway it was a totally different experience than what I received from my local garage, I was invited to take the car in the body shop and the car was assessed there any then under differing lighting and it was obvious the colour wasn't right.

After viewing a few swatches a match was found and the car was booked in (and a lovely Qashqai was provided in the meantime - I turned down the Range Rover ;))

I was kept in the loop after this and the car was ready for me earlier than I expected, so much so I had to leave it to pick it up for a couple of days!

This is the before as you recall:

Capture1_zps654b2fe7.jpg

2013-08-12061136_zpsc386f5ee.jpg

2013-08-12061255_zps465d645c.jpg

2013-08-12061211_zps8a181a11.jpg

And these are the afters - It was a very sunny day yesterday so I will continue to update with better pictures in differing lights:

P1020173_zpsedccf254.jpg

P1020168_zps363aa64f.jpg

P1020180_zps7e5d43f3.jpg

P1020177_zpsb8041795.jpg

P1020185_zpsfc74bbe3.jpg

P1020179_zps11a677bc.jpg

P1020166_zps8f51b254.jpg

P1020182_zps195f3a17.jpg

To say I'm happy is an understatement - I've been studying my old pictures of when I got the car and the bumper is as good if not a better match to the car, When I say you don't even bother to look at it I mean that there's nothing to look at anymore!

You also get an Ixell 5 year paint guarantee in case anything happens to the paint which I think is excellent.

The calipers and wheels really let the down car now the bodywork is done so I'll be refurbing the calipers soon - They'll be going red to match the later cars (shut up Ads! :))and I'll probably replace the seals while I'm at it. Then I'll be going back to Carl's gaff to get the wheels painted as soon as I've got the cash!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good now - Paint lays differently on plastic to metal. Not to mention a gun finish will be different to machine.

I wouldn't be happy with that though.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Lol at thinking that's bad, you should see mine. I get angry every time I clean the car.