ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

does no one like the 197?

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
197 looks lovely

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scirocco GT 210
I think they look quite good actually. Seeing one next to an older shape clio really makes the older clio look dated.

I've only had a fairly short test drive in one but I really liked it a lot, quality was leagues ahead of the previous clio, as was how it drove, seating position, steering wheel - all great.

Didn't like how light the steering was though, could breathe on the wheel and it'd turn. Absolutely hated the sound it made, was so strange, and I can't see it being too good on a motorway with that gearing either. And finally, as has been said by everyone, wasn't quite up to 172/182 pace, but it wasn't far behind.

Main reason why I wouldn't buy one though is the price, they're so expensive!

Anything from the fleet
Batman said:
everytime i see a new clio i wanna key it because it looks so bad

There is no need for that - how would you feel if someone keyed your Clio because it "looks so bad"?

Golf 7R
The 197 is the equivalent to an overweight teenager at school that everyone picked on, its ugly.....but if you get bored the diffuser doubles up as a george foreman lean mean fat grilling machine, so you can comfort eat whilst driving a slow wide gash of a car.

In short its fantastic!!

lei69gh said:
The 197 is the equivalent to an overweight teenager at school that everyone picked on, its ugly.....but if you get bored the diffuser doubles up as a george foreman lean mean fat grilling machine, so you can comfort eat whilst driving a slow wide gash of a car.

In short its fantastic!!

You what?

197 ALBI BLUE
I have a 197 in Albi and to be honest I love it. IMO it makes the old clios look dated as my wife still has our 182 on the drive next to the 197, When I leave the house I go to the 197 everytime it just seems a more sorted all round package, yes, it does feel a little down on power, but thats easily sorted with an ecu remap, new filter maybe an exhaust etc. But I bought the car for how it looks not for raw power, the car is in its element round b roads where the handling and brakes come into there own. To all you doubters out there, give it a chance cause I was one of you and I have been converted....the more you drive it the more you love it!

cup 182 mit stripes
Saying the 197 is a step up from the 182, I think you are in denial ranksie.

I recently had a long test drive in a well run in 197 demo,on my tod, so was able to give it a right hammering.
Apart from the brakes I thought it was inferior to the 182 on all fronts,especially the tendancy to bounce the limmiter when gunning it through the gears.

My clio was £11,600 on the road. The price difference could pay for a turbo conversion. No contest then.

197 ALBI BLUE
ja.jack... who am I to talk heh! gotta a 182 and 197 but youve driven a 197 on a test drive!!! guess you know best!
Yea a turbo conversion would make the 182 quicker but its still a nice but old looking car....fact.
As for the 182 being better on all fronts...dont drink and drive eh!!! cause you gotta be p****d.lol.

You just trying to wind the guy up ja.jack? He has his own, informed views, and is in a better situation to judge than you, so why bother? each to their own

I like it. I think the only thing it's really missing is that bit of grunt which would put me of buying it. But lets face it any who buys a clio hoping for straight line speed is wasting their money even for the 12k a 182 would cost you could be going a lot faster.
Look how many TypeR Civics were sold here compared to what Honda expected. Look at the driving styles of most people driving them they drive like grannys so maybe their only buying it for looks and reputation. These are the kind of people who would want a 197 even without that extra 10bhp per tonne or whatever it is over a 182.
As shown on here i think Renault are trying to make this appeal to a different type of person from the one's who wanted things like a 172cup.
I still like it for what it is though and i bet it's still fun on a track.

Mini Cooper S sport
I think they look great actually, but I can't comment on how they drive. I just think they're too expensive for a hot hatch, and for the same money I'd get something else. Simple as that!

Also the reliability of Renaults bothers me, so much as I love my 182, I'm not sure I'd have another one.

Clio 172 mk2
I think it's a great looking car....just too expensive though when you compare it to the fun to be had at the 172s & 182 prices now.

Chocolate Bar™
agree about it being too expensive. at first i thought it was too 'standard'

but theres been a red one in my street for a couple of weeks now and im really starting to like it. absolutely love the vents behind the front wheels :approve:

none, just walk
i think i like the look of it more than the power, the power is mearly a bonus, im too tight to drive it the way it needs to be to get the most out of it cos i wouldnt be able to afford the petrol that it would need, i dont think they are that expensive but for what they are it is, but bearing in mind in 2 years time the price will be down for a second hand one and cup version might be out by then? ,and its alternative: golf gti, focus st, the new cooper s, new type r will be cheaper and therefore all roughly the same price, by then i would say thats the best time to get one, right now the price isnt worth it

197 ALBI BLUE
ja.jack im not angry or having a go its just that you seem to decision on a test drive, which with the 197 you need longer. Granted its not the fastest hot hatch around but it doesnt need to be when it looks so good, as for the price I didnt think it was too expensive, I paid £14770.00 for mine in Albi,climate,upgrade stereo mp3,cornering lights,electric mirrors,auto lights and mirrors the car was brand new. So the other cars I was looking at Focus ST my dads got one so ruled that out,VXR Astra.Golf VR6 all big money.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't like the shape , its just not got that wow factor in terms of looks for me . I haven't test driven one so i can't comment on the handling / performance , but i have no desire to test drive one either .

106 GTi
Most people that purchased there 182's new paid around 12k fully loaded which makes the 197 seem expensive. After driving one the other week I could not justify the money for a car that I did not find any better. Both cars had there plus and minor points. Your right what you said about the 197 making the 182 look dated, interior wise mine looked so dated when I got back in it. Loved the 197 gearbox and extra seating space, but disliked as many other things.

Clio 172 mk2
197 is a better all round car...they have just made it a bit too refined by the sound of it.

I do like it a lot but definately won't be buying one