ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does Tyre Gel Ruin Handling?

Clio 172
Hi guys, just a quick question, if you use tyre gel on your tyres is your car more likely to understeer?. when cornering hard am i right in saying you car literally drives on its sidewalls? how would tyre gel affect the handling when driving hard?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Cornering hard does cause your tire side walls to flex and make more contact with the ground. You dnt completely drive on them tho. Tyre gel will cause it to slip more and understeer but its only for a few hundered yards or 1 mile max

53 Clio's & counting
in theory yes, it could loose you a bit of grip, just dont paste it on right up to the tread

182 & Porsche 986
You shouldn't need to layer loads on anyway, i've never even thought about it making a difference.

what u put infront of me
im pritty sure we are all going to be safe, and if we do end up upside down least u can see the bits u missed....!

Nippy white cup
I remember putting tyre gel on the Cup years back...went to meet at the local services and give is bit round a small roundabout and the backend whipped round...didn't think I put too much on but don't bother with it now tbh

Chris

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
Hi guys, just a quick question, if you use tyre gel on your tyres is your car more likely to understeer?. when cornering hard am i right in saying you car literally drives on its sidewalls? how would tyre gel affect the handling when driving hard?

If you wanna use summat similar to tyre gel, zymol do a product thats watery but doesn't cause undeersteer.

Z16 tyre shine, it looks like milk and gives a brilliant shine. :D

182 Cup
The most common mistake people make is to apply it to more than just the sidewall of the tyre and end up with it on the outside edge of the tyre's contact area.

Golf GTD Mk7
It can do yes. If you put too much on it absorbs round the tyre from the wall to the contact point. This can make the back particularily sllippy. Not that common though. Just be stingy when applying it and don't go anywhere near the edge.

pmsl, just how much gel do people but on their tyres on here? sidewall only and stop before you reach even the treaded part of the sidewall. If you're still having issues with a lack of grip it's clearly because you're on two wheels and actually riding on the sidewall ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
put some on your spare tyre and watch it absorb onto the tread. Don't know why people are taking the piss, it s***s you up when the back goes on round abouts. I've stopped covering the whole wall because of it.