ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doesn't feel like 182 bhp!!!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I'm driving the car spirtedly and with enthusiastic intent.

Pretend your a pikey and drive like you stole it.... she'll soon loosen up!

Seems to be working. I've a bit of problem with the pikey pretense as I don't fancy towing a caravan behind unless of couse it was ultra light,maybe carbon fibre.

Once again everyone, thank you for all you comments, really has helped!:D :D :D

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
850 miles have rolled off the clock since making the last post on this thread.

600 miles of easy driving, the rest quite hard. Using nearly all of the rev range, driving up to circa 6750 rpm.

I'd say there's a difference now. 1st gear accelaration is much better, with the engine spinning up quicker. Feeling quicker in most of the other gears too. Although I feel the ratio of second gear on these cars is slightly out. As when changing up from 1st to 2nd the car is out by 1500 rpm of it's cam point. Throwing it in to that awful flat spot area.

Looking forward to the dyno on Saturday morning.:)

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I was gona say to take the car for a run to warm up the engine oil (15 mins) then come back home and disconnect the battery for 20-30 mins. Make sure you have your radio code before you do this. Then re-attach the battery and start the car. Make sure you switch all your electronics / aircon on and leave it for a few mins to idle. Then take it for a drive and drive like you stole it. After that you shouldn't be complaining about it feeling slugish!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I was gona say to take the car for a run to warm up the engine oil (15 mins) then come back home and disconnect the battery for 20-30 mins. Make sure you have your radio code before you do this. Then re-attach the battery and start the car. Make sure you switch all your electronics / aircon on and leave it for a few mins to idle. Then take it for a drive and drive like you stole it. After that you shouldn't be complaining about it feeling slugish!

Thanks for the advice.

However today's dyno has quashed all fears of the engine not putting out the a correct power.

178 bhp at the flywheel. I'm happy with the result.:) :)

Although the same chap with the Fiesta ST that I duelled with had his dynoed alongside with myself.

The only mods he has is a K&N without carbon shrouding and a cat back Miltek exhaust. The quoted ford figure is 148 bhp. His was dynoed at 167 bhp. Surely a filter and cat back exhaust wouldn't give this kind of increase? He tells me absolutely no other engine mods have been made.

Anybody care to comment on this?

S1RST/205GTI
K&n induction kit on the ST gives 11bhp cos Ford restricted them as standard to keep it below 150bhp.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
K&n induction kit on the ST gives 11bhp cos Ford restricted them as standard to keep it below 150bhp.

Ah I see, that and the his exhaust have allowed for such an increase then.

No matter. The same duel was repeated this evening and this time I won.:)

RSC 182 Cup
178 bhp at the flywheel. I'm happy with the result.:)

What was the figure at the wheels? A flywheel figure from a chassis dyno is a "guesstimate" at best, however I notice in the UK it's all you guys talk about? :S

Here in Australia it's always quoted as "power at the wheels" if measured by a chassis dyno.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
178 bhp at the flywheel. I'm happy with the result.:)

What was the figure at the wheels? A flywheel figure from a chassis dyno is a "guesstimate" at best, however I notice in the UK it's all you guys talk about? :S

Here in Australia it's always quoted as "power at the wheels" if measured by a chassis dyno.

I did wonder how the dyno operator calculates the flywheel power. I guess it can't be acurate in comparison to an actual "at the wheels" figure.

The figure at the wheels was 124 bhp. Anybody else have a similiar figure for a completely standard 182 Cup running on V-Power?

Thanks.

RSC 182 Cup
The figure at the wheels was 124 bhp. Anybody else have a similiar figure for a completely standard 182 Cup running on V-Power?

Thanks.

A link to the dyno printout for my 182 was on page 2:

http://users.on.net/~murcod/RSC/Dyno/Murcod1.jpg

The same day there were about 6 Clios done (all 172's except for me) and the outputs ranged from 92kW to 103kW @ the wheels. (Multiply hp by .746 to get kW; or times kW by 1.34 to get hp ;) )

The strange part was some of the more modified ones made the lowest power (particularly ones with modded inlets.)

Golf R/Leon FR

i had a blast with a guy in a fiesta ST the other day with a K&N and exhaust he wasnt too far behind me to be honest and was surprised how well he kept up.

i got my mk1 172 RR about 6 months ago came up at 166bhp and 151 ft/lb torque

and that was with decat, full exhaust system ITG panel filter

Deja vu 182
I got my 182 dyno d about a month ago 181bhp 152 ft/lb at the flyweel but about 156bhp at the wheels . seems quite high . standard apart from v power but may have had remap by previous owner?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
124bhp @ the wheels is way too low. I would say that a healthy 182 would be nearer 145 bhp atw.

I thought the at the wheels figure was a little low to equal the flywheel figure. Although the torque figure was there at 151 lb/ft.

I used Engine Advantage in Witham, Essex. Anybody used them before?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
My mistake. Idiot here read the graph incorrectly. 134 bhp at the wheels. After a the warrnty has expired I'll probably look at increasing to 190 bhp if possible. It would seem an aftermarket induction system is a step down in power?

S1RST/205GTI
My mistake. Idiot here read the graph incorrectly. 134 bhp at the wheels. After a the warrnty has expired I'll probably look at increasing to 190 bhp if possible. It would seem an aftermarket induction system is a step down in power?
Depends which one you get,try bmc cda or Itg maxogen

VaVa
Unless you intened to get other mods such as remap and decat I wouldn't bother with an induction kit. They provide very little in isolation, but are worthwhile if you are modding the engine breathing as a whole.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Unless you intened to get other mods such as remap and decat I wouldn't bother with an induction kit. They provide very little in isolation, but are worthwhile if you are modding the engine breathing as a whole.

Yes a re-map and a few other goodies are on the list. Perhaps something to increase low down acceleration, before the cams kick in as it's a bit sluggish?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep. The remap will get rid of the flat spot, after coming from a Group N mapped Cup, it was REALLY noticeble in the 182. Future mod for mine :)

VaVa
As gaz, my fellow Maxogen/GroupN evangelist says, the remap will improve the low down grunt. I thought my 172 was broken when I went back to the standard ECU. lol.

Clio RS 182 phase 3
I have mine dynoed this sunday.

The results are:

Flywheel: 189,3 bhp at 6452 rpm
Wheels: 157 bhp
torque at flywheel: 230 nm at 5283 rpm and torque peek at 2500 rpm of 218 nm.

The car is OEM including the exhaust and filter but is fitted with a Superchip.

Clio RS 182 phase 3
Hi Laingo,

No it wasnt a Superchips dyno. It was a normal dyno a friend of me had his civic type R on the dyno just after me this civic is fitted with injen intake, full exhaust and modified intake manifold and this car deliverd 221 nm torque and 210 bhp. so the dyno is reliable.

Perhaps Renault delivers their strong models to the mainland?

Does anyone overhere has a Superchips in as well?

I dont know how I can attach a file else I can attach the powercurve over here.

Jap Shed

eh? what does this do???:S

the ecu can learn to a degree your driving style allegedly (minimal though),hence why k&n etc recommend d/c battery once their filter is fitted

VaVa
Hi Laingo,

No it wasnt a Superchips dyno. It was a normal dyno a friend of me had his civic type R on the dyno just after me this civic is fitted with injen intake, full exhaust and modified intake manifold and this car deliverd 221 nm torque and 210 bhp. so the dyno is reliable.

Perhaps Renault delivers their strong models to the mainland?

Does anyone overhere has a Superchips in as well?

I dont know how I can attach a file else I can attach the powercurve over here.

I have no faith in rolling roads whatsoever. I tend to test mods by my own feelings and of course my local race track. lol.