ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dom's non-sport MK3 thread #Re-post

There isn’t enough of non-sport MK3 threads so I thought I’d add to the small amount there are J

So.. I bought the car back in February of this year after I had rolled my previous 54 plate 1.2 MK2 spectacularly. After the crash I was told 'you'll never get as good a car as you had before you crashed!' (bit of a pain in the arse as I LOVED my MK2 but what could I expect)

Long story short, I had been looking at standard MK2s but then decided to go and have a look at some MK3s.. this is where I found and fell in love with the MK3 SX...

I sent my dad packing, cash in hand, train down to Runcorn and back he came with my 07 plate IMMACULATE Sx.

This is how it looked the day I got her;

ClioMK3.6.jpg

Luckily for the car, the guy who had owned her from new had slight autistic tendencies and was VERY OCD so the car was valet monthly and looked after very well.

Unfortunately there was a leak in the alloy wall, which resulted in me going through 2 sets of tires in the first month and a half of ownership. Was a bit of a pain in the arse having to fill the tyres up every 3 days or so but well well worth it!.

I had been looking at way to improve her but I wanted to keep the outer aesthetics alone, as she looks very modestly sporty, all-be-it a 1.4.

The first thing I really did was fit blue interior lights, unfortunately I don't have a picture of this but looks pretty decent and keeping in with the colour scheme of the car.

Next were some blue sidelights and a new set of headlights.

I got some pressed plates from Fancy Plates based in Dublin IIRC and the registration was fitted

295382_599102193436088_779141501_n.jpg

After scouring the net for little mods to do, I eventually found out about the 197 grille and how it was claimed to be the 'BEST MOD FOR UNDER £70'.

The next day I had ordered my grille and awaited its arrival eagerly.

Becoming a member on CS.net made it simple to fit as there is a guide on the member-only forum to fit it.

Fitting took no more than 10-15 mins and I was impressed with the outcome!

Before;

25959_562637863749188_1954155607_n.jpg

After;

970159_606955372650770_277168918_n.jpg

I couldn't agree more with the statement that it is the best mod for under £70. Totally changes the look of the front of the car, with the SX front splitter on it really sets it off and the compliment each other well.
Shortly after, I had hit a curb on a way home in the village where I live and it snapped my front splitter which was a total ball ache.

Luckily enough I realised that I had lost some of my splitter as I saw it out the corner of my eye in the wing mirror.

247493_599102033436104_630617041_n.jpg

Damage wasn't too bad but definitely dinted the cars pride...
Never the less I booked the car in to get plastic welded and for the time being held the splitter on in place with some electricians tape.

Within a week it was all fixed and looked like new, a new coat of paint and the welding came to a grand total of

£70 which in my eyes, isn't too bad at all.

As you can see the repair was good and looked like new

942644_603136556365985_2023376439_n.jpg
(Passenger side)

The next thing that came was the 197 steering wheel insert and for £20 it was a good enough price so was bought and fitted a few days later.

247191_599101950102779_769333442_n.jpg

I know people sometimes have a grudge about putting sport badges.

Being bored of the old slightly ugly head unit, which is standard fit in the Clios I decided to go and get myself a new head unit.
The one I went for was the Pioneer MVH-350BT.

944822_599101866769454_669128439_n.jpg
(Everyone loves Monster)

I've jumped around the place when it came to mods and now I was after something to give the Clio more grunt but didn't sound ridiculous and chavvy.
My mate had a K&N air filter laying around and after some fiddling on I eventually got it fitted.
The MK3 engine bay is tight as f**k so was a job and a half to find somewhere to fit it.

395654_599102133436094_2064860992_n.jpg

The air filter is decent enough for what I need and does give a good bit of rumble up into the high 2k low 3k rpm.

Having a flick through at other treads I’ve noticed that the Team Heko wind deflectors give the windows a sportier look… I know that this opinion is split but I like it so I guess that’s all that really matters when you’re modding your car..

944365_599101913436116_1202061394_n.jpg

Apart from looks they do make the wind that is sucked into the car through the window at any speed massively reduced and its nice on a hot sunny day to be able to have your window down and not be blown into the back seats when doing 70mph+

The next thing that was ordered were the Renault Sport mats..

321318_599101876769453_1588681895_n.jpg

Just the little things which make the difference to other in the interior.

Next on the list were new pads and discs all round. As you can see the near side disc was pretty chewed up, so BOSCH pads and calipers were fitted. It now stopped much better then over the previous few days.

969840_606955555984085_698314701_n.jpg

I had been looking through different alloy and tyre packages from the first day of ownership. I wanted something which wasn’t main stream and every other clio had on, and didn’t want black alloys as silver stands out much more and the car doesn’t have enough black detail on it to pull them off.

Cades Vienna were my choice and after a week or two of saving and bartering I had placed my order for a set of 17” Cades Vienna with Falken tyres all round.

I went down to FoxHunters in Newcastle and had them fitted on Saturday morning.

970852_617329278280046_437485596_n.jpg
935912_617329308280043_1507331058_n.jpg

When they were finally fitted I couldn’t wait to get her home and get a photo!

1011138_6173292582804048_1486232795_n.jpg

That’s as far as I’ve got so far and in the 3 nearly 4 months I’ve owned the car I think she’s coming along nicely and am very happy with where she’s at.

All that’s left to do is lower her 45mm on H&R springs and a little bit more plastic welding and then I think I may be done, then again I wouldn’t mind a 197/200 CUP spoiler..

Would like to know what you all think of her so far !

Apologise in advance for any spelling mistakes etc as am writing this at work this morning very hungover..

Thanks for reading and I’ll update this thread when I progress.

parking.jpg

Bloody hell thats nice! where did you get the grill from? I want one now haha, I dont know if its just me but your front arches seem more out than mine do hmm, I think I need a splitter and sides too :/

Bloody hell thats nice! where did you get the grill from? I want one now haha, I dont know if its just me but your front arches seem more out than mine do hmm, I think I need a splitter and sides too :/

I can link you to the grille mate :)
Thanks for the compliments bud, means i'm going in the right direction.
The front arches do look wider than usual but i'm not sure why that is.. could just be me I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...Grille-Inserts-Renaultsport-Cup-/400396451597

they are simple to fit and I could give you a hand with how to fit it

Arctic 182FF
Really like the mods you've done so far. I quite like the wheels although I imagine some won't, but it's all about what you like! For me it needs to be lowered quite a lot and spacers are a must, also have you considered colour coding? I'd suggest some silvervisions or diadem indicator bulbs if you haven't already. Keep up the good work!

Really like the mods you've done so far. I quite like the wheels although I imagine some won't, but it's all about what you like! For me it needs to be lowered quite a lot and spacers are a must, also have you considered colour coding? I'd suggest some silvervisions or diadem indicator bulbs if you haven't already. Keep up the good work!

Yeah I guess they won't be to everyone's liking but the main goal is that I myself am happy with the car. If others like it then that's a plus :) thanks for the kind words! Yeah may colour code the side strips but not sure if the black sets it off a bit.. Want the rear bumper smoothed.. Lowering it 45mm so I can at least still use it as a daily driver without having too much trouble. Spacers are also going to be ordered, I'm thinkin 25mm on the rear and think I'll leave the front. Looked at some Philips silvervision but we'll see as to replace lights it's a bumper off job as the engine bay is so crammed. Thanks again dude!

Superleggera'd MK3
Arches are wider as it is a dynamique sx i think anything under a dynamique in terms of trim have narrower arches :)

Btw, nice car mate :)

Arches are wider as it is a dynamique sx i think anything under a dynamique in terms of trim have narrower arches :)

Btw, nice car mate :)

That'll be it then hahaa. Thanks bud! I had a look at your progress thread a little while ago and its looking great!

Just a general question really... colour coding side strips and rear bump strips? Yes to both or one or the other?

Superleggera'd MK3
I did fronts, sides and back mate.....just looks better the less black plastic u have around the car. Thanks mate, yeah its looking nice enough for me. U going to CSS?

I did fronts, sides and back mate.....just looks better the less black plastic u have around the car. Thanks mate, yeah its looking nice enough for me. U going to CSS?

I was going to mate but its a bit of a drive.. Plus haven't really been to any of the CS meets before and none of my mates would come so would be a proper loner hahaa

**UPDATE**

Took the old K&N out as was too big for the car and didn't fit properly. Bought a new one from a lad on the forum cheers Dannyb2012! Top bloke.

Started fitting it at about 6pm

after about an hour I had gotten the air box, air intake hose, disconnected the air filter from the throttle body, got the battery disconnected and the battery case pulled out!

It now looked like this on the drive and in the bonnet..

1044362_623995960946711_1712837822_n.jpg

(Wish I had gotten a picture with everything pulled out as I was surprised how much needed to be stripped away, this is probably 2 3rds of what was taken out.)

1044188_623995984280042_405221871_n.jpg

Loads of space now for the air filter and support bracket to be fitted!

Finally getting it all fitted and pieced back together!.
Looks much tidier now than with all the stock parts on.

10362_623996017613372_688451295_n.jpg

Took me a while to get all the fiddly little bits back together but got there in the end and imo looks pretty smart.

Even got the K&N decal on the inside of the bonnet.

iirc +100 bhp i've heard? correct me if i'm wrong though ;)

Have got some plasti-dip so intend doing some of the interior trim with that and to be fair.. will probably want more than that doing.

Will be posting pictures of that when its complete!

Thanks again :)

C+C Welcome

Another little update, know it's nothing much but thought i'd keep you all posted as to where I am so far;

580188_624782197534754_1164215591_n.jpg

Nothing amazing but seeing as the MK3 was supplied with no rear speakers but had the place for them to go seemed stupid to me so got some cheapy ones for the time being till I decide what brand of audio I want.. thinking of going with Pioneer all round to keep in with good sound quality and also keeps the same make as the head-unit I previously installed.

971317_624782164201424_116066170_n.jpg

These were so simple to fit, all the needed were some adaptor leads which I paid £5 for a pair and then you need to bend two of the tabs to allow them to fit into the suitable position. Sack HalFRAUDS £29.99 fitting charge. I'll do it myself!

So far they've been decent sound quality but have only had them in a couple of days.

If anyone has changed their in-car audio let me know what system you've got and how good/bad it is!

Renault Clio MK3
Looking good mate, when do you plan on getting it lowered?

It's something I'm going to look at doing and would be nice to see this lowered as some inspiration ;)

Mk3 1.4 clio
Hey fellow non-sports, we defo need a dedicated non-sport section, feel left out seeing all the sports lol. I'm lowering mine as well on coilys. Domdale cars coming a long nicely mate.

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
Hey man car looks good im not usually a fan of the SX kit but i like it on this!
coilys would be a really good choice tho you could make it sit just right 45 wont be enough imo
like the wheels to and i got fli all round in mine
78112e73.jpg

i got the biggest n fitted on the door lol n they sound even better when hooked up to an amp!!

Mk3 1.4 clio
100% hardly any MK3 non sports on here! Needs to be more, you got a thread? Cheers for kinds words too :)
No I haven't got a thread mate. Pretty new to this forum so just finding my way round, looking for the non-sporters lol.

Hey man car looks good im not usually a fan of the SX kit but i like it on this!
coilys would be a really good choice tho you could make it sit just right 45 wont be enough imo
like the wheels to and i got fli all round in mine
78112e73.jpg

i got the biggest n fitted on the door lol n they sound even better when hooked up to an amp!!

Yeah mate i'll have to see what happens really. I only got the 13cm which means I wasn't able to fit them like you have with the FLI surround. Oh well.. guess it makes it look more OEM. Need to get a sub + amp so hopefully will have it all connected soon! So much I want to do now I think of it.