ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Donington Park Race Report

Turbos.
Haven't done a report for a while, i've been waiting for videos but its taking so long i thought i'd crack on. We were at Donington at the weekend, the home of our first ever race a few years back in the original NSX. Despite the 'developments' to turn it into an F1 circuit, other than the chicane it looked exactly the same as before!

The weekend was somewhat stunted. Normally we have a couple of practice sessions, then qualifying, and then the race the next day. However, to make the round cheaper, the organisers cut off practice and it would be simply qualifying and then the race all in one day! Not so good for a two driver team, where we had to split the half hour qualifying session...

P1080497.jpg

P1080498.jpg

As we saw it coming, we booked a test day a couple of weeks back and were pleased with our progress: a second quicker than pole the last time Lotus Cup was at the circuit (albeit with the slightly different chicane). Time to consult my notes!

P1080493.jpg

My dad went first for qualifying, and managed to beach it after two laps. Fortunately, they were operating what's known as 'live snatch' (rescue trucks etc. are allowed on circuit whilst cars are going round) so he managed to get back to the pits, but unfortunately had to concede his go. The pressure was on me then to deliver on our promising test results.

donny1.jpg

Within a lap, i realised why my dad had spun. The different weather conditions caused the brake balance to be wrong, it was locking up the rears at every opportunity, making corner entry very interesting! I adjusted the bias and got some better laps in, but it still felt messy. However, i looked at the pit board and saw 'P1'. I presumed this meant in class.

Because of a fellow k-series runner blowing up their engine with a fire to match, the session was yellow flagged and so that was my opportunity gone. But to my surprise the team were celebrating in the pits when i got there, it was actually P1 overall, pipping an experienced racer in a 2-11 by mere thousandths! A small margin, but winnings winning and all that ;)

P1080494.jpg

Because of the qualifying result, i got the honours to start the hour long race. I thought i'd be nervous, but i guess i was so pumped up i didn't think about it too much. I talked with the team about how best to do the rolling start, and we decided i would simply progressively accelerate up to the lights, as if i bluffed a start, the higher torque of the supercharged 2-11s might get the better of me if i mis-judged it.

After a nervy lap behind the safety car, our strategy worked, and i just managed to hold off a (turbocharged) Europa steaming up my inside before the first corner.

donny2.jpg

For the first few laps the 2-11 was up my chuff. I'm used to chasing, not being defensive!

Qy2j6523.jpg

After about 10 minutes though, i put in a really good lap (in fact beating my pole lap) and suddenly pulled out a couple of seconds. I could finally settle and get into my groove a bit.

Qy2j6819.jpg

The chasing pack also held themselves up whilst jostling for position.

donny3.jpg

But just as i started to feel it was all too easy, up popped the safety card board! I was furious, i shouted to the team boss over the intercom about the f**king production Elise who was in the barriers. My lead, which was around 10 seconds, was swiftly back to 0. I had it all to do again.

Qy2j6439.jpg

As the safety car finally went in, the pit window opened. I pressed on, whilst the 2nd placed 2-11 pitted. However, after a couple of laps i noticed the water temp going up to an unusual 89 degrees. It kept doing it every lap, so i went on the radio and explained the issue (yep, head gasket...) I was told to short-shift before 7000rpm, which added a second to my lap time. The pack closed in.

Qy2j6440.jpg

When the temperatures crept up further, i came in for the driver switch. The team manically threw buckets of water over the rad. All i could do was hope everything was ok.

Qy2j7016.jpg

The short-shifting had damaged us, as dad came out of the pits in 4th. It was devastating to see as i knew my dad couldn't push with car in the state it was in. Another safety car shortly after though was a blessing in disguise, closing the gap and giving the engine a break. But now the temperature was approaching 100 degrees, it was a case of surviving the last 20 minutes.

After a nervous time watching the lap screen and in-car video, my dad finished the race, coming home in 3rd. One guy ahead of us had received a drive through for doing too-short a pit stop, getting us the final position on the podium. If there was one more lap, my dad would have been overtaken or the car would have blown up! Understandably though, my dad was dismayed that he couldn't actually race, rather than seeing the bright side of things!

Qy2j7055.jpg

Qy2j7053.jpg

For one of our best finishing positions of the season, we looked pretty disappointed on the 3rd step! I really wanted the clean sweep of pole, fastest lap and an outright win.

Qy2j7062.jpg

Amazing to think this damn engine lasted a whole weekend a couple of years back that included a 6 hour race, with no problems.

P1080499.jpg

Our next race is at Brands Hatch, where i came 3rd just a few weeks back. Hopefully we'll get out our revenge!

Black Clio GT
nice write up and pics and congrats on 1st and 3rd :)
for god sake bin that k series.. its caused you no end of greif lol

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Good write up, shame you couldn't fight for the win, did the engine survive?

Turbos.
Thanks guys.

The engine didn't expire, but ultimately it s a head gasket failure so is being rebuilt. Fortunately plenty of time to get it done.

172, Tiguan
Enjoyable read Rob. Congrats on third, even if it wasn't the result you were after. That engine's had more headgaskets than i've had hot dinners!

Turbos.
Cheers!

It is a mandatory 3 minute pit stop Dan, for safety (avoids fires) and is fairer because most people have normal fuel tanks where people like us have quick filling bag tanks, where the car was built for endurance racing and regular fuel stops.

Unfortunately, not everyone can be tracked, so some people get away with it. I still don't understand how we went from 1st to 4th after our stop when we entered in 1st and we all had the same time pitstop! They would have had one helluva out lap...

182cup & 172 racecar
Cheers!

It is a mandatory 3 minute pit stop Dan, for safety (avoids fires) and is fairer because most people have normal fuel tanks where people like us have quick filling bag tanks, where the car was built for endurance racing and regular fuel stops.

Unfortunately, not everyone can be tracked, so some people get away with it. I still don't understand how we went from 1st to 4th after our stop when we entered in 1st and we all had the same time pitstop! They would have had one helluva out lap...

I actually thought that after I read it,but wasn't really sure on the time allowed.

Two 0 Shitx
Donny is an awesome track, good result either way, seemed you were pretty quick which is impressive for a K car! Why no vids yet!?

bit of an odd one but if possible can you do me a favour rob? measure the height and horizontal length of your rear diffuser please chap? also if its possible how far it extends under the car...

thanks

Turbos.
bit of an odd one but if possible can you do me a favour rob? measure the height and horizontal length of your rear diffuser please chap? also if its possible how far it extends under the car...

thanks

Can do next time i see it, although length wise it is practically full-length! Up to the front axle...

Height of the physical diffuser or height to the ground?

Thanks guys.

Turbos.
Sorry Naith... still not seen the Elise. Bought the diffuser?

Finally a bit of footage; my pole lap followed by a more aggressive lap. Thought the two were an interesting contrast, as it shows aggression doesn't always reward! Ultimately, being sideways isn't as fast as going forward!

[youtube]WQso6QtyfWc[/youtube]

Also a short clip of my spin earlier in the session :eek:

[youtube]wklRq1UdHk0[/youtube]

The race footage isn't that great as of course i was in the lead, so not much going on. Need to get the 'Ring video up next....

Two 0 Shitx
Wow, vids! Thought i'd never see the day ;). Seriously though, i need that gearbox/car in my life!