ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DOOM: Eternal

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any love for this?

I'm quite looking forward to it as I enjoyed DOOM (2016). Admittedly there doesn't seem to be that much new on offer judging by the gameplay footage but it will be interesting (perhaps) to see on how they grow the Doom universe. I do like the nod towards some of the older enemies from early Doom games and the Id Tech engine seems to run along at a blistering rate again.

A SHED!
This gets a 9.5/10 from me. At first I wasn't liking the controls but I think this was due to playing heavily on cod. Once you get into the game it's brilliant. The gameplay is intense and manic. All the old demons are there and some new ones too. The marauder demon is a b*****d to beat but it's definitely a blast to play. Recommend it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This gets a 9.5/10 from me. At first I wasn't liking the controls but I think this was due to playing heavily on cod. Once you get into the game it's brilliant. The gameplay is intense and manic. All the old demons are there and some new ones too. The marauder demon is a b*****d to beat but it's definitely a blast to play. Recommend it.

Thanks for bumping and reviewing. I’m going to get it once I’ve finished the Witcher 3 I think. Something to go alongside COD and fifa....

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I’m a massive fan of Doom, well the originals back when I was 12. They were way ahead of the game back then.

Hopefully the next installment can recreate the excitement the original managed todo.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is it better than the previous Doom reboot?

That was decidedly meh for me - despite looking very pretty.

A SHED!
At first i thought no but as you progress through the game it tests you and the your controller...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Went for this via cdkeys on Friday.

Happy to say that it's an improvement on the other recent reboot, but it's still frustrating in the fact that the ammo is massively restricted to the fancy takedowns of the enemy. That should be an alternative method of obtaining ammo - not the primary method of doing so.

I find that backing up and trying to dodge the enemy, I frequently get 'stuck' on scenery, rather than brushing along it. So you're backed into a corner with no real place to go.

The controls are better than the other reboot, but I still feel sluggish compared to the opposition in this. I never, ever felt slow compared to the enemies in the original Doom games, yet I feel like an absolute pensioner in response to those that face me.

In all, it's still a very good game - but it could be a superb game with just some balance tweaks here and there. You would have to be the highest ranking, self abusive and tortuous players to play this on its maximum difficulty. I don't know of anyone who would have that level of (in)sanity.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Still going through the previous one. In all honesty I'm so f**king bored of it but I feel like I've come so far I have to complete it now! Maybe before the PS5 comes out would be nice.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Still going through the previous one. In all honesty I'm so f**king bored of it but I feel like I've come so far I have to complete it now! Maybe before the PS5 comes out would be nice.
I got that at launch.
I got to a point which autosaved. I've got no ammo, no heath and a room full of enemies which I just can't clear. It's been in the cupboard since.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I hit a wall of zero enthusiasm with the previous game about two-thirds the way though, but stuck with it until the end.

I don't know what they've done with the later Doom games - but caution and patience now seem to be the preferred ways of progression. Even with the Doom64 game on Steam, it's much easier to literally run about and shoot everything and then charge in when you have no ammo left. The newer, much prettier games simply don't have this gung-ho appeal to them.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
They say you can play doom on anything...

Screenshot_20200909-214803_Twitter.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've just met the invisible charging guys; please tell me I'm near the end :geek:
Can't actually recall those? Though yep - you must be near the end - lol.

I've just taken a quick break and thought of a quick dabble at Doom Eternal. Loaded my saved game up and retried the same point five times before quitting.

The irritations of your crap kit (which about 90% of your original game gear was also) - it so blatantly and annoyingly clear. Even grunts require precise, point-blank hits with the shotgun to have any chance of killing them. Those little s**t imps are on par with the quickest ninjas you've seen in a game, combined with a crazy level of fire accuracy from them and you're just cannon fodder.

Worse, is the fact that everything within range is behaving the same and targeting you with very high accuracy. So you have 100% health and get hit once. That can immediately drop your health to 18%. Armour is next to absolute useless in what it resists damage wise and all the while, the pop-up of 'low ammo' makes its regular appearance.

None of this of course would matter if you had the reactions and nimble agility of say a Tenno from Warframe. That parkour gracefulness sees you jump, slide, glide and slam amongst a group of enemies with lethal ease. Shooting, cleaving, zapping and charging through waves of the opposition with an elegance that makes you feel far superior to the enemies that you face. Not so much in Doom. Rather than representing the saviour of humanity, it feels like your controls are hardwired into Bernard - who's just left the chippy after several pints in the Bay Horse and is slowly meandering his way home.

I really can think of no other FPS game where you are supposed to represent a near unstoppable force-to-be-reckoned-with - that in reality feels like a lethargic and feeble anti-hero.

And I'll say again. This is not Doom. It's Doom in name only.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had another dabble with this and got further than I did before. But it's still not 'right' as far as I'm concerned.

Put another way, I bought Serious Sam 4 in the recent sale and am MUCH preferring that as a chaotic shooter. You know that the Doom series has failed when you start with a max carrying ability of 16 shells for the shotgun (really?) and 60 rounds for the assault rifle thing.

Each and every stage is an exercise in ammo management. It shouldn't be. I've got keys assigned to dashing, double dashing, jumping, melee combat, chainsaw swiping, flamethrower thingie, chucking grenades, secondary weapon mods, equipment mods, blah, blah, whatever. It's like the Doom devs looked at the ARMA series and thought that that was a good path to follow. You misguided fools.

'Middle' bosses are WAAAY too tough for the standard kit. The plasma rifle drinks ammo at a rate to be virtually useless and of course, you have to melee kill 90% of your adversaries in order to gain their highly precious health and ammo drops.

Fundamentally broken as a game experience. Its simply way too overthought and over-complicated for its own good. Dial it back down to 2 - quadruple the amount of enemies and increase the ammo availability by, I don't know..... 728% within the game.

Just make it fun, FFS instead of banzai charging a horde of enemies (yet again) having run out of ammo (yet again) with virtually no health left (yet again).