ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dreaded bonnet flip

BG V6, LY 182
Not mine, but happened to someone I know yesterday travelling 60mph and bang. Outside lane of a dual carrige way so coulda been a lot worse! Iv kindly volunteered to help sort it.
Typical damage, shattered windscreen, bent bonnet and dinted the roof. Surprisingly it didn't crack the arches.

Not gunna bother with insurance, new windscreen and bonnet and it should be good. Just have to live with the roof.

It's a 55 clio extreme 4, one with the colour coded bumpers. I'm not sure what the silver is called? Hence the post. Anyone know the paint code? I don't fancy them using my carbon fibre bonnet for longer than necessary lol or even better, anyone have a bonnet in this colour?

BG V6, LY 182
If recall had been done take your proof to the dealer that did it!

Well the garage told them the recall had been done. But I'm sure it'll be on record surely with renault? I'll get them to phone them tomorrow and find out.

Clio 182
When mine was done (6 months ago and obviously several owners in) it was Renault that got in touch with me, so they should definitely have a record

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah whenever these threads come about I think I'm gunna check and then I never do.

I always check it's secured down though, what actually fails? Does it fail to catch and people don't notice or does the catch open by itself or something?

Sorry to hear about the car, must be pretty gutting.

BG V6, LY 182
Yeah whenever these threads come about I think I'm gunna check and then I never do.

I always check it's secured down though, what actually fails? Does it fail to catch and people don't notice or does the catch open by itself or something?

Sorry to hear about the car, must be pretty gutting.

They had the bonnet open for a few weeks. So I guess it was s**t correctly.
I thought it was the catch that failed.
Only thing I'm thinking is that it was really cold, caused something to become brittle and snap maybes?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mercury Silver is the colour. You'd have to google the paint code I can't remember it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Has anyone ever known a case where a individual has won a case against renault for this?

If the recall "fix" has been applied to a vehicle then it should also have a sticker near the replacement catch instructing the owner/service agent that correct and regular maintenance of the mechanism is required and it IS YOUR responsibility from here on... you won't have a leg to stand on i'm afraid as that's RUK indemnified.

The truth is that in general these vehicles are not serviced correctly by 90% of garages that work on them. An oil & filter change is not a service but you try explaining that to a tight ass know-it-all customer armed with a Smart phone & Google.

Mick

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Mick, What would you class as a service?

In my eyes, its gearbox oil, Engine oil, Filter, Air filter reoiled, Pollen filter and check all my bulbs are working.
What would you add to that?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've just done a PDF which will be going on our website before the new year as I get annoyed when people ask me to justify my £240 service fee.

Doors/boot & bonnet/sunroof mechs, lights, exhaust & engine mountings, suspension, tyres, coolant strength/condition, brake fluid condition/moisture content to name but a few. One HUGELY over looked area is the vehicles drain points... very rarely are they cleaned these days and you wouldn't believe the s**t they cause when they block up and flood.

Mick

I've just done a PDF which will be going on our website before the new year as I get annoyed when people ask me to justify my £240 service fee.

Doors/boot & bonnet/sunroof mechs, lights, exhaust & engine mountings, suspension, tyres, coolant strength/condition, brake fluid condition/moisture content to name but a few. One HUGELY over looked area is the vehicles drain points... very rarely are they cleaned these days and you wouldn't believe the s**t they cause when they block up and flood.

Mick
I wish I knew of a mechanic that would do that around here. It's the sort of things I don't know about that I want an expert to look at!

BG V6, LY 182
@MicKPM @-J-

So...they rang renault today. And apparently there never has been a recall on the car. Not even a letter sent out. I thought it was for all that shaped clios? Any lines they could go down now against renault?

BG V6, LY 182
110% letters were sent to all X85 owners

That's what I thought. But the person on the phone was adamant that this hasnt had a recall.

Tbh, I might ring them myself, but a different garage, and See if I get a different answer. Or even renault direct.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nope, the recall only effected X65's with a specific fabrication number range. I don't know the exact details but I'm sure there's a DVLA/VOSA site that will tell you this.