ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dreaded Red Immobiliser dash light flashin and solid

Clio 172 Ph2
Hey all

I've had a good search through the forum but am yet to find a definitive answer to this problem.

Has anyone done a how to guide or pics of the common wire break points?

Basically sometimes mine flashes and wont spin over......goes soild and spins stgill the immbiliser cuts in and stops it..... or starts perfectly.

Although the mve it a few fit and stand on the brake then try again does seem to work....

Any hints..tips...or photos of where to begin?

Car: 2001-172

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I've been having the same god damn issue on mine this week.....there's no pattern to the fault either, so it's difficult to figure out.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not really; you're looking for damaged sections of wiring in the wiring loom around the gearbox area. May be a power or earth issue also.

If you want drop it in and I'll fix it.

Mick
Diamond Motors

Clio 172 Ph2
I take it we're looking for the purple and (i think) grey twisted pair can-bus link over the gear box?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
When mine did this it was the earth strap from the gearbox to the wheel arch. Mine was really badly corroded and had almost fallen apart.

Clio 172 Ph2
I'll try that tomorrow John, she's in the air at work at present with the loom hanging out :s

Did find this wire broken....
IMG-20120720-00138.jpgIMG-20120720-00137.jpg
Small white wire near the ECu end but solder and sealed and no difference... not even sure what its for :(

Clio 172 Ph2
Right then....after being in work on my day off checking every fecking wire in the engine bay loom and the uch to ring decoder.......
it looks like the UCH is indeed FUBARD
IMG-20120721-00140.jpg

I should be getting the Clip to read the VIN straight from the UCH when I go into the diagnostics....and it doesnt
And looking at the codes above they should also read VIN numbers not 12345ABCDEF ( IE fubard ) The Air bag ECU has been reset at some point hence the ?*?*?*?*?* code but thats nothing to worry about.

If anyone would confirm or deny that the UCH is goosed before i go and buy a 'set' please do.....

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Welcome to my world!

It looks/sounds like its missing multiplex information to me hence the missing ID's (I've got a Megane II dCi in with similar problems that had a UPC after water ingress that started once and then after parking up hasn't gone again since).

I assume you've confirmed the UCH and ECM both have stable power and earth supplies?

Can CLIP start dialogue with the UCH and if so, what information do you get back?

Mick

Golf GTD Mk7
What's displaying on the multiplex network map? Any red links or boxes? I assume that if you can see the ecu, the can-bus connections via the uch are ok, otherwise the ecu becomes inaccessible.

Clio 172 Ph2
Hey Mick / Jonny.

All Earths and lives check out ok, the clip will start dialogue with the UCH and ECM but as i mentioned earlier the VIN codes on both are curroupt. The network map shows everything and everythign is acessible but the comms, injection, and immobiliser come up red.

I've run clip with the red light flashing ( 2def on the ring ) and with the light soild ( 2def but only memorised fault ) try again and the light goes out and away she goes......
Sven
Livingston-Delhi-20120721-00141.jpg

PS just for Micks benefit......Scenic ph2 below....
untitled.JPG

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
This is why I have a matched UCH/Key set as a test rig for the common vehicles as it saves expensive guess work.

So if the components you mention are coming up in red on the network schematic it means they've either checked in but have issues or they've not been recognise/detected. Lets forget the VIN's for the time being - What faults, if you can access them, are you seeing on the red modules?

Mick

Clio 172 Ph2
Hi Mick,

they check in and talk.

I've run clip with the red light flashing ( 2def on the ring ) and with the light soild ( 2def but only memorised fault ) try again and the light goes out and away she goes......
no other faults come up.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
UCH screen > Live data > is the key shown as "recognised" or "authorised"?

Clio 172 Ph2
erm... that one will have to wait till monday.... cars with me clips at work 25 miles away :(
but from memory depending on if it was flashing or solid then the rec and auth changed.... I'll double check tomorrow.

Cheers Mick ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It could be a genuine decoder ring fault so check the connections there:

Black - Ground
Red - +5v
Brown - transponder code line to UCH

If this checks out id suspect the UCH

Mick

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
This is literally THE single most annoying car problem I have ever had.

My symptoms are similar to everyone else's..... go to start the car, most times get the flashing red light, sometimes get the solid light that doesn't go out. Then, very rarely it goes out and I can start the car.

With having another car too, I have 2 ECU sets and switching them over, it fixes it momentarily. But then, it decides it doesn't want to work again. Yesterday, I changed all the black relays over to see if that worked, it didn't. I've tried checking the earth straps around the engine bay, not found anything untoward, but then, I haven't dug all the way down there.

Can anyone show me exactly which earth strap is meant by the gearbox one??