ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drilling a carbon bonnet.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've had one before, but had the washer jets in the scuttle panel. Bad idea, since they don't reach higher than 6" up the glass. :eek: Ah well, I was young.

This time, I'm drilling them into the carbon. How do people do this?

What drill bit do I need? What speed? Also, what's the best way to mark out?

Cheers.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Regards drilling the hole, start with a small bit first like a 2mm then work up the size in say 3 steps with each step being a larger diameter bit. Start off real slow on the speed with the 1st drill bit to make sure it doesn't spiral out of place, pretty much the same with the other bits. You could use decoraters masking tape as it's white, when drilling obviously 1 hand on the trigger and the other hand on the body of the drill to hold it steady.

Had to drill glass so did a bit of research into it, came across a lot of "i want to drill carbon sheet" threads as well..

The general conclusion for carbon sheet personally: Use a carbide drill bit, mask where your drilling, Make a slight punch on the spot so the drill doest slip... Go slow dont use much if any pressure? (thats with glass i think as long as you dont press down too much the laquer wont crack)

Also read diamond bits are good, because you will be drilling a wide hole for the windscreen sprayer, could be an idea to get a diamond hole bit, few quid off ebay...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Any reason why you're spraying it Turner? No one will be able to tell the difference. Is it for those 1/4 mile's?

Why don't they come with the holes in it? Anyone i've seen have come with everything as standard.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Had to drill glass so did a bit of research into it, came across a lot of "i want to drill carbon sheet" threads as well..

The general conclusion for carbon sheet personally: Use a carbide drill bit, mask where your drilling, Make a slight punch on the spot so the drill doest slip... Go slow dont use much if any pressure? (thats with glass i think as long as you dont press down too much the laquer wont crack)

Also read diamond bits are good, because you will be drilling a wide hole for the windscreen sprayer, could be an idea to get a diamond hole bit, few quid off ebay...

Nice one! Good info.

Any reason why you're spraying it Turner? No one will be able to tell the difference. Is it for those 1/4 mile's?

Why don't they come with the holes in it? Anyone i've seen have come with everything as standard.

Standard bonnet needs spraying and has a ding on the front which can't be removed since it's in front of the bracing.

Plus, I got a carbon bonnet for free.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'd shite myself tbh! I would use a new drill bit for starters...And work my way up slowly!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
is the dent on the standard bonnet excessive or repairable ? should easily be able to get pulled out, if not from behind then using the stud gun and pull it out from the front

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why not just repair you own bonnet? It's a 1 day job at most.

ITB'd MK1
The right drill bit to use would be sharpened to more of a point than a standard bit, in the same way that would be used for sheet metal (for those who know the need for a difference)
The different angle will mean the likelyhood of the edges grabbing the material on the way through and tearing is less

I have tired a large range of different tools for working through carbon when prepping the plenums on the RS2.

The most effective technique I find is to drill from the side that will be visible. Pop a 2-3mm pilot hole through the skin, then use a cone (not a step) drill bit to slowly slowly work you way through. The bit acts like a nice sharp blade if new and trims the fibres cleanly, stopping that ragged bullet hole effect. The last step is then to simply tidy up the reverse side with a suitable dremel sanding tip.

Cone bits: http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Drill-Bits---Step--Cone/Trend-Snappy-Tapered-Drills__p-12710216-23365.aspx

Lmao at all the people saying repair your bonnet.

As say, drilling a small hole in carbon isn't a problem with a small sharp drill bit. Mask where you want to drill and go for it.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
you can get vw ones that sit under the bonnet.. on mk4 golfs iirc... quite cool n maybe worth a look

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ebay carbon bonnet > pay for repair = win?

Exactly my plan. I decided it looks guff with my colour.

I'll probably sell it on eBay with a link put on here. At least then I won't receive 5,456 PM's telling me it's only worth four quid, and do I want to swap it for some 2.0 badges with missing clips.