ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drivers cars

can people on here list some cars they class as "drivers cars" im just after some ideas on cars to look at thanx, nowt to expensive mind!! and no jap crap they just dont seem to capture the emotion of driving.

1.9 205gti, 106 gti, clio 16v/williams, clio cup etc etc

106 Rallye

S1 Elise (can be had for around 10k now!!)

Clio 16v definately deserves a mention, its a fun car in its own right

Lots of Alfas

depends what you mean by expensive, thers Clio 16v, willi, clio cup, Lotus Elise, Honda NSX-R, impreza p1, original minis, 911 Turbo etc

182, GTR, C63

Hows about a 7 replica like caerham or westfield for the money theres nothing like em.If insurance is no object how about an old TVR griffith (but very unreliable) maybe a 306 ralleye.

150bhp in a 106 is fine, but just tell my mate that, hes not long put his on its roof

a car with that power with so little weight requires a lot more concentration than most drivers can ever think is necessary, the 106/saxo is a good drivers car especially for the money you can get them for nowadays

EP3 Civic Type R

sorry to hear that mate, yep they do require control... they weight f**k all.... hence why they surprise alot of things... im pretty careful with my 2 ... I own 2 106GTis .... so know what they are like... both have diff suspension.

3 Series xdrive

Ahh the 106gti, probably the most under rated hot hatch ever, i have the privalege of living close by ecosse, i had a 106 xsi which they had kindly put a 16v gti engine in along with every other mod under the sun. 120/130 brake horse might not sound as much as the clio182 but i bet the gti would give me a run for my money in my 182.. or more

The torque you get once you hit 3500/4000 rpm is unreal and it just keeps going all the way to the limiter, unlike the 182 you really have to get upto 5000/5500 before you get any real power.

And as for the handling on the 106.... Its on rails

Nuff Said.

http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk/http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk/

my old 106 gti was 163bhp was bought by a lad who is having his 106 put up to over 210bhp with a longman built engine! by expensive i would say over 20k

Id go for:

Clio 16V & Williams, R5 GT Turbo, Clio Cup

Pug 205 GTi, 106 GTi, 306 GTi & all Rallye variants

Golf GTi Mk2, Citroen BX GTi, Mini Cooper (old)

Caterham 7, Lotus Elise, TVR Griffith

I think he meant the subarushi!

Would have to agree with Mx5 but wouldnt want to be seen in one!

The ultimate and my next car the 1969 rwd lotus elan sprint ! As quick as atype R but with fantastic rwd handling. Often quoted as the best handling car ever!

Oops - super sensitve mouse.

Before the Cup, I had a 106GTi, with some minor mods (chipped by Sanspeed in Kent, Peugeot Sport Exhaust, Peugeot Sport Airbox) with 140bhp. It was fu*kin awesome car. For the money, you will not get more fun from a car. Only MAJOR improvement the Cup gives me is safety - 4 NCAP stars and passenger airbag.

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 28 May 2004

Id go for:

Clio 16V & Williams, R5 GT Turbo, Clio Cup

Pug 205 GTi, 106 GTi, 306 GTi & all Rallye variants

Golf GTi Mk2, Citroen BX GTi, Mini Cooper (old)

Caterham 7, Lotus Elise, TVR Griffith
:oops: Behave...

williams and trophy

forget the newer mini coopers (old shape)..if u can find one get the ERA model, or plump for the 1275 GT if the squareshapes ur thing.......the inj coopers are sh*te...much better with a 1340 on carbs or summat like that....ERA had MG turbo in it btw hehe....very rare now

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by 16vGaz on 27 May 2004

and no jap crap they just dont seem to capture the emotion of driving.
I can see where your coming from but an Integra Type R really is meant to be 1 of the best drivers cars and imports aint too expensive. :cool:

but jap sh*t dont have the certain "thing to it" japs have no flair! jap cars do everything but just do everything average just my two peneth i find them boring

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Sounds to me like you looking for a Williams then!

If not, i think you have the car on your drive already!

Where you from 16vGaz?

Quote: Originally posted by 16vGaz on 28 May 2004

but jap sh*t dont have the certain "thing to it" japs have no flair! jap cars do everything but just do everything average just my two peneth i find them boring

The ITR boring! hmm, very odd. Each to there own tho :confused:

E90

Well if i had extra cash, Id be tempted to get a cheap mini, strip the sh*t out of it, cage and bucket it and drop in a 1340 minisport engine with big twin carbs, straight cut gearbox and all the other gubbings. 13 inch minilites and uprate to disc brakes, Perfect and all for a resonable sum.

jap crap ?? sorry mate but you ever owned a jap car (of any significance ??)

integra type-r for example normally aspirated bare minimum of kit inside probably the best handling front drive car ever made. just look up articles about em. you can pick a good one low mileage for around 9K

from that of ones ive owned, id put order like this

1. Teg-R

2. 306 GTi-6 almost perfect

3. Williams III

bottom of all

14. Civic type-R (yes i know its jap but there are some outstanding jap cars out there)

15. Maestro

How about a.....

- VW Corrado VR6

One of the best handling front wheel drive cars in its time about and darn quick too!

jap cars ive had a 200sx turb and an mr2turb good fun just didnt have the spirit or the emotion i found my 106gti had anyways seen a gorge 172 cup today so that looks like the car for me !

182, GTR, C63

Ok this will sound gay but a 1.7 Ford puma. I know ford are crap but this had lots of good reviews and i bet a low mileage lady owned car would come pretty cheap. I checked to see if they were as good as i read in the back of EVO magazine it says good points everything bad points nothing and gets 5 stars. If anyone reads this mag then theyll know how much of a great car it will have to be to reach a 5 star rating. Or a underated accord type-r i know its a jap car but you get plenty for the money. Or do a smart thing save loads on insurance and buy a cup. LTD edition means you wont loose a fortune.

Quote: Originally posted by DoddCup on 29 May 2004

Ok this will sound gay but a 1.7 Ford puma. I know ford are crap but this had lots of good reviews and i bet a low mileage lady owned car would come pretty cheap. I checked to see if they were as good as i read in the back of EVO magazine it says good points everything bad points nothing and gets 5 stars. If anyone reads this mag then theyll know how much of a great car it will have to be to reach a 5 star rating. Or a underated accord type-r i know its a jap car but you get plenty for the money. Or do a smart thing save loads on insurance and buy a cup. LTD edition means you wont loose a fortune.
my mates spent a fortune on his puma went from a 205 Gti 1.9 and he seriously rates it, always been a fan of ford handling though, drove a focus 2.0 zetec as a company car a few years back handling was excellent

306 XLd

Mini turbo :) just have to cut the bulkhead and weld a box in which you can buy (i cant remember the name) and the engine will fit. Actually just get any Proper Mini

williams and trophy

the ERA mini had the mg turbo fitted as standard...as i mentioned earlier.but yeah other wise jus cut a hole in the bulkhead n get a plate in there, upgrade to 4-pots an u laffin