ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft nut woes :(

MK7 Fiesta TDCI ZS
Hey Ive undone one driveshaft nut using my body weight on a broken torque wrench last night really struggling with the other one though...

Been looking at a breaker bar but not sure what size I should go for? Anything over 16'' bar gets a little costly at machine mart for something Im rarely going to use! So hope a 16'' should be ok?

Or any other ideas to get it undone would be much appreciated! Thought of a scaffold bar but have no idea where/ or if I could get one and how much they cost? Any idea?
Cheers

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
cant you just get a old piece of scaffolding pipe and put it on the end of the torque wrench? thats the cheapest option,

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
i was weary of buying a breaker bar because i didnt think id use it. turns out i use it a lot more than i thought i would. comes in handy breaking wheel nuts/bolts etc. and if your into your diy mechanics stuff like bottom strutt mounting bolts and cylinder head bolts are easy with one :)

i got mine from halfords for about £20 iirc

MK7 Fiesta TDCI ZS
thanks

just used a mates metre scoffold bar ontop on my torque wrench, on the right hand side driveshaft and tried to undo it using this method with a scissor jack [video]http://youtu.be/w_um-77hZWY[/video]

used so much force ive just rounded off and split two extension bars!!

Am I being stupid and its not a reverse thread is it on the RHS driveshaft nut?
cheers
lee

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
buy better quality extention bars! or use an impact socket onto the torque wrench directly, maximum strength from the tools.

then apply progressive force to the handle of the torque wrench, extending it with a scafold if you need to. standard thread on a driveshaft

BMW M135i
Had this before, cut reliefs into the back of the locking tabs. Some are that tight you'll just end up snapping the breakers bar if you just keep hanging off it.

Clio 182 Titanium
Just done driveshaft nuts today . were really tight from the factory! 600mm breaker bar and I stood on the end and bounced up and down till they cracked loose.
think halfords or screwfix maybe have them.
30mm socket

Clio 182 Titanium
IMAG0327.jpg

MK7 Fiesta TDCI ZS
hi!!! yeah pretty much a similar size on my broken ( springless) torque wrench jumped up and down on and it cracked off the right hand side nut easily!! Just been using no word of a lie a metre scaffold pole on the end of it its really seized on unfortunately and just eating through extension bars for breakfast! Am taking my car in tomorrow to a mechanic i get on well with across from work and get it loosened off!! Thanks for your replies!!! much appreciated!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've only ever had one problem like this that couldn't be fixed with one of these and the application of my 13stn... it was a Volvo T5r and a Thursday.

Get it on an impact gun and it'll buzz it off for fun.