ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR For the Mrs?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hello there camera folks.. the mrs wants a ‘good camera’ to use whilst out and about exploring Berlin.

I think it will basically need to be relatively small for a DSLR, and have interchangeable lenses as I reckon she’ll want a prime, something similar to a kit lens and maybe something with a little zoom capability.

Lastly, it’ll ideally need to be able to transmit photos directly to a phone for editing/using…

I haven’t bought a camera since my 500d and that’s been in a drawer for 4 years.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Depending on budget, i'd be looking at the Canon mirrorless range.

The EOS R10 or EOS RP are similar money ~£1000, the R10 being APS-C and the RP is Full Frame.

The RP is small considering it's Full Frame, basically designed for travel.

The take the new range of Canon RF lenses, but you can use the older EF stuff with an adaptor.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Depending on budget, i'd be looking at the Canon mirrorless range.

The EOS R10 or EOS RP are similar money ~£1000, the R10 being APS-C and the RP is Full Frame.

The RP is small considering it's Full Frame, basically designed for travel.

The take the new range of Canon RF lenses, but you can use the older EF stuff with an adaptor.
Thanks chap, definitely don’t need full frame, she’s just a beginner but really enjoys taking and editing pics with the phone so I don’t think she’ll get bored in 10 minutes.

like the sound of being able to use old lenses with an adapter, means she could use an old zoom if she ever had a use for it etc

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Didn't know there was such a thing as a WiFi memory card.
That's impressive!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Rob I'm no photographer, but I was very interested in it 10years ish ago and from time to time have a read up on current goings on.

If your Mrs is a beginner I would highly recommend grabbing her either a new mirrorless Canon/Sony however any of the good brands will be mind bogglingly good. I personally love the design of these, their newer models with leather are cool AF:

But have no clue if they are any good or not! Young chap at work is VERY into photography and has a nice Sony Alpha a7 which takes exceptionally nice pictures. They are a decent format because they are smaller than a traditional DSLR but accept good lenses - my limited experience was that any camera with a decent sensor is made or broken by the lens being used.

Saying all of that - if she really is a beginner get on eBay and buy a low shutter count traditional DSLR. They are still fantastic things and she will learn loads. I have a 450d somewhere and frankly you would be hard put to see the difference between that and a modern mirrorless at my skill level (near zero). You could for example buy her a Canon 7d for a few hundred pounds - the 7d was basically a professional level DSLR which would have been £2k+ with lens kit at release, chuck in a wifi card and set her lose.

There will be Nikon equivalents from the era too worth a look in but I have only ever owned Canons. Plenty of good used lenses to buy on eBay too.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Photography is one of those great things to get into because plenty of rich people buy expensive cameras, ever use them and then sell 10 years later so there is always a good selection of bodies and lenses on eBay.

Its also one of those hobbies where its probably just as much fun buying the kit as it is using it - so watch out!

EDIT* just read your first post properly - give her the 500d !!! Plus a few good book on it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Rob, go for M4/3 over a DSLR.

I have a Lumix G80 after years of shooting with Nikon DSLR’s, it’s a brilliant bit of kit. Hundreds of lenses available too.

Another vote for M4/3 here. I use an Olympus OMD em1, so much easier to take around with you, lighter and just as capable as a full frame DSLR.

I used to slug a Nikon DLSR and prime lenses but found myself increasingly leaving it at home as I couldn't be bothered. Have found the love again after moving to M4/3

koi

Audi S1
Check out the Canon M6 mk2, uses the EF-M lens but can get adapters to use others. Think it's getting discontinued so maybe get some deals.

Used to leave the camera at home as it was too big but the M6 with 22mm lens is so small and light it just gets chucked in the bag. Connects to your mobile and lets you use it as the viewfinder and controller as well as transfer photos.