ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dubai Convoy: Mountain Drive

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi Guys/Girls,
Just got back from the most amazing drive i've ever been on,nothing short of perfect. It was a place called Kalba in the Fujerah mountains which is about 45 minutes from Dubai. There were roughly 15/16 cars if i remember correctly.

All drove in convoy to a meeting place where the mountain stretch started and then we went off up the mountain pass.I'm probably not going to explain myself very well but i'll try. Imagine a dual carriageway road with near perfect conditions...add some amazing scenery and a lot of fast cars...

I really found the limits out of my car today,whilst going down the mountain i was really,really on the edge,taking long,tight sweeping bends at 100-115mph and barely keeping up with a few S2000's,it felt very 'nervous' under hard breaking on sharp corners,high-speed downhill long, tight sweepers really aren't the clios strengths. One car i was very impressed with was the crossfire going downhill. The guy was carrying a good 10-15mph more than me into corners.

Going uphill i felt a lot more comfortable with the car and was really able to give it the full treatment,bends being taken at 80-95mph felt a lot more safe and in control. On some straights i was able to stay with a R32,S2000's and the crossfire,pulled nicely away from the golf GTI. A lot of guys couldn't believe how quick it was. The only way to make the day better would of been to have another clio there to see how well i was doing in comparison to other FWD cars. I managed to lose the GTI both going downhill and uphill which was pretty nice. There will definately be some footage so you'll really be able to understand the mountain cross and the road conditions. Sorry about the long post, enjoy the pics!!

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

Nicest S2000 i've seen above..carbon fibre bonnet and wing aswell as boot. All mugen kit i believe.

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

At the meeting point:
DSC00271.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

Last edited:
  182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Sure was, the Evos were very good on the downhill sections, hell very good everywhere lol. I always thought the crossfire was a junk car but it handled very well on the corners,out running the R32 pretty nicely aswell on the corners.

Camel
That looks awsome the scenery looks amazing, makes me wish more and more I had made the move out there when I had the chance!!

An orange one
awesome pics mate

whats the deal with the roof on the M3? looks like its meant to be a CSL carbon jobbie..or is it just painted?

Banana
Excellent pics. I would love to be able to show up at car club meet wearing flip-flops instead of waterproofs :D

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
awesome pics mate

whats the deal with the roof on the M3? looks like its meant to be a CSL carbon jobbie..or is it just painted?

He's added quite a few CSL parts,the CF roof,spoiler,grille and exhaust surround. Nice car but he drives it like a tit.

Haha about upgrading my car...they all love the clio! If i wasn't moving home then maybe but its great fun til i leave.

Audi TT and various BMW's
You should maybe give this road a try next time, was on it last friday before i came home....

This road is on Jebel Hafeet Mountain which is about 125 Kilometers South East of Dubai.
The road is 7.3 miles long with around 60 corners of super smooth tarmac that rises to 4000 feet.
The road came about thanks to a Sheikh that wanted a palace built on the top of the mountain and needed a road to the top.
The car I used was a 2006 Boxster S Tip Auto Hire Car.
All I can say is..... Best road I've ever driven!!
Here's some pics for you....
Me in the hire car
P1010973.jpg

The road
JebelHafeet3.jpg
JebelHafeet.jpg

JebelHafeet1.jpg
JebelHafeet2.jpg

P1020109.jpg

The Palace at the top
P1020083.jpg

The Porsche Club going up
P1020104.jpg

P1020096.jpg

P1020101.jpg

The video's!!
Me driving up like a bat out of hell
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8247201278541512969
Me driving down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWsC0mFMNh8
Listen for the screetchin tyres!!!

dCi 100
Stunning pics and location! Lovely roads !!!

What kind of temps are we talking about? 30ºC?

Cheers,
J

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Nice pics tubbs,been to Jebel Hafeet many a time,know it quite well now,got my own vid myself on here somewhere.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
It is a great driving road but i prefer Kalba i think,you can be up the mountain in 6 or 7 minutes whereas Kalba can last upto 45 mins of intense driving,trying to sort my vid out now...

Was that quite recent Tubbs?

It is a great driving road but i prefer Kalba i think,you can be up the mountain in 6 or 7 minutes whereas Kalba can last upto 45 mins of intense driving,trying to sort my vid out now...

Was that quite recent Tubbs?

Just came home on sunday.....:(

Was up there on the Friday morning, was just coming down when the porsche club went up so i turned round and chased them up!!

Was on the Kalba road I think.... Quite a nice twisty road that takes you on to a new road built between dubai and the east coast?

Just thinking...

Is that the new road that your talking about?

It goes from the east coast at that roundabout and hed's up through the mountains and through 2 tunnels and on to dubai?

It was just built by Halcrow, my pal designed a few stretches of that road...

Is this the same tunnel?

P1020041.jpg

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Yeah thats the road Tubbs,i loved it...going back for more on Friday. I was at Jebel Hafeet on Saturday,just missed you!

I had to take those corners at 160/180 km/h in my clio in Kalba lol,was pretty nerve racking

Yeah thats the road Tubbs,i loved it...going back for more on Friday. I was at Jebel Hafeet on Saturday,just missed you!

I had to take those corners at 160/180 km/h in my clio in Kalba lol,was pretty nerve racking

Cant beleive how much fun some of the roads are out there...

Am going back out in April for some more fun but think i'll get a lambo or ferarri for a bit extra power!!

What do you do out there?

That looks awesome :cool:

Wonder if they'll let me stick my Cup in the cargo hold when I fly over next week........

Just hire yourself something tasty out there.... Its far cheaper than hiring a sports car in the uk.

Speak to a company called sphinx rent a car, they do really good rates and can get you anything you want!

They even offered me a McLaren Mercedes SLR!!!!