ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dunns MK5 Golf GTI

Mk5 golf gti
Hi all

as some of you know i do literally go through a few cars a year, and one i wanted this year was a golf or audi for the daily

i ended up getting this, a mk5 golf gti black 3 door

has the upgrade tartan seats (very very nice) factory navigation with changer etc
loads of other little extras too like heated seats and lighting pack etc

anyways i might change the wheels once ive ran out of tread on these and also get a remap for 260bhp for 200 notes as its too cheap to pass up
couple of phone pics (will get some good ones over the weekend)

423834_10151373121265171_566360170_23467767_1640904056_n.jpg

426472_10151373122615171_566360170_23467778_712972779_n.jpg

love having the comfort coming from a clio, literally worlds apart which is exactly what i wanted for the daily
still not decided what to with the phase 1 either :dapprove:

does anybody know what the best forum for these things are?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I really like these and that looks tidy. Could do with the bigger 18's though. I looked at them when buying last year, but they were just far to expensive for what I was looking for. Enjoy.

Mk5 golf gti
What are these like fuel wise, ive heard they're pretty reasonable?

Fantastic so far, mixed driving was about 36mpg on the way back, 6th gear helps alot too, was seeing 40mpg at one point

I really like these and that looks tidy. Could do with the bigger 18's though. I looked at them when buying last year, but they were just far to expensive for what I was looking for. Enjoy.

thanks mate, pictures dont do it justice tbh Lol i actually prefer these wheels to the 18's but i do agree it needs different wheels at some point. maybe the ed30 wheels

DB.

BMW 440i
Welcome to the club!

I find MPG around the city is about 28mpg, similar to what i got in the clio tbh. Maybe a little worse, but better on long journeys.

DB.

BMW 440i
(Oh, good choice with the alloys too, i think they are more subtle/less chavvy, hence my decision)

Good change. I really liked mine till it went wrong.

So nice to be in for a daily.

I upgraded from the 17" monzas to the 18" Monza II's, the ride suffered, and I'd either stick with the 17's or go for the Ed30 CH's.

Oh and those seats are standard in them ;)

ARMREST!!!! Makes the car. :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
When i become a dad next month i may have to get a 5 door.This is one of my choices atm.

182 with cup packs
Can someone kindly educate me on the manual automatic dsg box bit confused on what one is best and what the differences are ? never looked into getting this type of car but looks likely to be my next daily.

DSG is an auto box with paddles on the steering wheel.

You can put it into drive and...well just drive. If you put your foot down it will usually kick down a gear and you get the power. You can also flick the paddle to down shift. When in drive if you do this the box will switch back to auto after about 30 seconds.

You can put it in sport which is just the same as above but it keeps it in its powerband.

Or you can stick it in manaul and you'll need to downshift and upshift etc. If you try and bounce it off the limiter though it will change up.

Definatley get a test drive in a DSG before you buy though.

For general driving daily then DSG is epic as you just chill out and let the car do the work but if you fancy a blast just hit the paddles!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Vw dsg is the world best auto ! They are epic but real expensive when they go wrong .

53 Clio's & counting
Il do a write up on the dsg for you later.

The map will get you more like 245-250 - you dontcwanna be putting much more through the turbo.

get a decent panel filter too, they help.

oh the tartan seats are standard, i prefere them over the leather.

182 with cup packs
Thanks Adam I had a go of a Audi A5 flappy paddles did miss the whole gear changing bit! As you say a test drive is what is best but do you recommend the dsg and what kind of mpg can you expect ? Sorry for the thread hijack its a lovely looking car

Prefer 1.4's

Heavy bent.

Thanks Adam I had a go of a Audi A5 flappy paddles did miss the whole gear changing bit! As you say a test drive is what is best but do you recommend the dsg and what kind of mpg can you expect ? Sorry for the thread hijack its a lovely looking car

I wouldn't have another manual unless it was for fun or the track. My current car is DSG and my last one was too. :) As for mpg...mines have both been diesel.

182 with cup packs
Adam am a right in saying your from Scotland ? Well am definitely swayed by this DSG box. Need to find a nice one in Scotland in budget.

Russ that would be cracking never been interested in Golfs so all the engine variants are confusing me a bit

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice purchase mate. I actually just text Dave the other day after road testing one at work.

They are bloody quick by the way. I was a tad shocked and i've driven some bloody quick car. Good buy mate, like Chris, a little too refined for me I also prefer the ST but lovely car.

Abarth 595
I keep looking at golfs but the price always puts me off. Looks very nice though, except the seats, not a fan of them at all.

120d M Sport
Nice buy. I'd keep the PH1 172, for what you'd get for it, it's barely worth selling. You've got the perfect line up this way.

The MK5 makes a great daily but I'll echo what Chris and gally have said, it's almost too refined and too reserved for a performance motor. My mate had one at 20 and it just wasn't raw enough for him.

Mk5 golf gti
Il do a write up on the dsg for you later.

The map will get you more like 245-250 - you dontcwanna be putting much more through the turbo.

get a decent panel filter too, they help.

oh the tartan seats are standard, i prefere them over the leather.

Apparently this colour tartan is an upgrade or something one of the dub lads said as it's usually grey?
Either way they are so nice in real life compared to how they look, use to think they were s**t looking

More-bhp near me do a 260bhp map for 230 quid iirc very popular around here

Just been for a bit of a blast, really does handle well but it needs a remap I reckon although it isn't shy now

Mk5 golf gti
Nice purchase mate. I actually just text Dave the other day after road testing one at work.

They are bloody quick by the way. I was a tad shocked and i've driven some bloody quick car. Good buy mate, like Chris, a little too refined for me I also prefer the ST but lovely car.

Thanks mate, oh yes I agree it is refined but that's exactly what I was looking for as a daily
I've had faster cars but I dont really care about that in a daily, but yes it is quick as standard, shocked me tbh

53 Clio's & counting
Apparently this colour tartan is an upgrade or something one of the dub lads said as it's usually grey?
Either way they are so nice in real life compared to how they look, use to think they were s**t looking

More-bhp near me do a 260bhp map for 230 quid iirc very popular around here

Just been for a bit of a blast, really does handle well but it needs a remap I reckon although it isn't shy now

no dude, tartan is standard.

im not doubting some rollers will show 260bhp, im saying most rolling roads tend to over read, and most iv seen have 250ish.

with regards to dsg, its basically a super fast auto.

You can have dsg without paddles - you only get the paddles if you have a multi function steering wheel.

dsg is very good if you want an auto - seamless changes up and down and are good on diesel engines as you dont tend to get any turbo lag between gears as it changes so quickly.

be aware that you MUST have the dsg oil (and filter depending on what model of dsg box you have) changed every 40k without fail - the mechatronic unit (the boxes ecu) sits in the oil and if the oil is not changed the old oil can contaminate the mechatronic unit = bye bye £1400 to fix.

mpg averages 1-3mpg less than the equivelent manual.

53 Clio's & counting
Oh qnd if you need any ad ise just let me know, im a parts manager for VW, been with them 13 years now (unfortunately lol)

DB.

BMW 440i
VW can provide a replacement piece of trim where that silly phone holder is btw. It's about £20.

I got the garage I bought it from to do it for me, contact them if you want to know the part. He should remember as I only bought it my white GTI from him in September.

Crossways Garage

182 with cup packs
Cheers again Russ would have thought the DSG would have saved fuel but that's not a massive worry.