ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 328i (Budget) Track Car

Forgot to post up a picture of the tyre, its not worn through use I dont think as its like the tyre just fell apart. Plus, when we swapped the fronts at lunch and ran them the other way round for the whole afternoon there was no wear on the edge of the other. Il post the picture later on.

It could do with more front camber anyway yeah, I'm getting rid of the H&Rs for some different coilovers in the coming few weeks. Going to fit M3 drop links with those instead and swap to E46 lower arms/lollipop bushes to give more camber and overall width.

Yeah the logger worked, just not had time to try and overlay it yet. I ideally want to add a push button to it that 'starts logging' when pressed, and is only active after a GPS lock has been confirmed - as its a pain trying to align the video+data in the perfect time!

A VW Golf.....
Oh, and you really need to sort those bloody swirl marks ! ;) What did you wash it with, a brillo pad ?

8024348077_638f6d367f_b.jpg

TBH I only put copper slip on them, and they were still free to adjust. They just looked like s**t after the winter!

Yeah, the only bad thing I found with copper based stuff is all sorts of sh*t usually sticks to it at the same time. I guess its the same with any coilover, my FK's went the same on the Clio, and even the Gaz's on the E30 - which didnt even drive on the road!

Oh, and you really need to sort those bloody swirl marks ! ;) What did you wash it with, a brillo pad ?

8024348077_638f6d367f_b.jpg

Haha, I know I know. Not washed it since I've had it! There are marks all over really, but its not meant to be a show car ;) I may give it a good going over one day when its dry lol.

Cup In bits
Rolls quite a bit in that vid, has good mid corner speed against the FWD cars tho . Standard bmw's are epic for drifting, changes when you get good suspension on, like trying to walk a tight rope, can be very twitchy, puts the sh**ers up you.

Rolls quite a bit in that vid, has good mid corner speed against the FWD cars tho . Standard bmw's are epic for drifting, changes when you get good suspension on, like trying to walk a tight rope, can be very twitchy, puts the sh**ers up you.

It just felt like it wanted to understeer at every opportunity, I need to get suspension on and properly have an experiment with the setup front and rear!

Buy some coilover covers.

I've always thought they were asking for trouble, especially not being a tight fit. Dirt/water behind cover, sat against coilover body = rust? I was just going to follow what most people with kit cars do and use some lithium grease on the parts that need to be kept clean, and just keep an eye on them every fortnight or so..

DrewHughes

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6 GSR
awesome, this is exactly the attitude il be taking with my track car, had my heart set on a 172........now upon seeing this? who knows

How did you get on with it all today jord?

Tried to crack on with some of it over the past few days, as I thought things like the rack took longer than expected (due to dirt/rust/sh*te) but got there in the end.

Few issues meant that its gona be another couple of days work before its driving again, but thats no biggy. I had planned to use the braided lines I had on the E30 (To eliminate all the copper), but some of the lines were the wrong length/fittings etc. I had got some adaptors so everything would go on at the same time but the company I used sent me the wrong thread pitch for the Banjo bolts so they are going to have to wait until mid-week.

Anyway, couple of days ago cracked on and removed the old wishbones/hubs/struts/bushes from the car. I had planned on fitting E46 front arms, which meant I needed E46 bushes for the 'lollipops' at the back of the wishbone. If you get the 60mm E46 PowerFlex bushes (instead of the facelift 66mm) they fit into the E30 lollipops. I burnt out the bushes and cut the sleeves out leaving me with..

IMG_9046.jpg

Then pressed the bushes in with a vice..

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

The reason you need to use E46 bushes is the E46 wishbone is a HEX shape, whereas the E36 is round. When comparing the wishbones you can see how the E46 item is longer..

IMG_9047.jpg

Not to mention about 1/3 of the weight which I was surprised at. This literally bolts straight upto the car with the bush..

IMG_9051.jpg

The next thing I wanted to sort was the steering rack before any other new bits went on. I used an E46 (067) rack on the E30, they have less turns LTL and are the preferred swap out on E30/E36s giving less turns, better feel and are not expensive to get hold of. I sourced another locally. It was a huge effort removing the old rack as the splines were so tight with hardly no room to work in, but eventually it came free..

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9057.jpg

I got some E92 tie rods (to give me enough thread to play with due to the extra width) and some new E36 track rod ends. These bolted directly upto the rack with the E36 gaiters...

IMG_9060.jpg

Bolted the rack assembly back up to the car then fitted the hubs to the new E46 wishbones and connected the track rod ends up. I then set the coilover height off the car to the same for both front struts, with no spring pre-load and the damping to 8/16..

IMG_9061.jpg

..and fitted them to the car, adjusting the top mounts to keep '0' camber and the same castor as a standard M3 top mount would have..

IMG_9069.jpg

The last piece of the puzzle for the front end was the anti roll bar drop links. On a 328 the drop links usually connect to a hole in the wishbone, but considering I am now using E46 wishbones this would no longer be possible. The HSDs have the M3 style mounts on the strut for a droplink, as an M3 uses a much longer item that goes upwards. On the HSD struts you can adjust the position of the drop link mount, but for now I've just set it to the 'stock' location.

M3 drop links are quite pricey, so I decided to use rosejoints/turnbuckles instead - which actually worked out cheaper. Seems a common thing on the E36/46 forums when fitting coilovers. Collected the bits..

IMG_9054.jpg

Which are all based around M10 thread, with the turnbuckles having a LH thread in one end, and a RH thread in the other, allowing easy adjustment if required in the future..

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9056.jpg

These were then bolted upto the strut/ARB and set to the same length on both sides..

IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_9068.jpg

...and thats about as far as I got. Still got the brake lines/rear coilovers and a handful of other bits to do, but managed to make a fair dent in the list over the past few days. Il get some proper pictures once the rest of the coilovers are on, but to give you an idea of what extra width and camber the E46 arms give..

IMG_9070.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

The top mounts are still set to '0' camber, so it can be taken off or more added as required. Gives for a lot more clearance in the arches too compared to where my wheels were rubbing on the inner arch at times. More soon!

Not entirely sure! They seem to be sided though, as I screwed them onto the arms originally then thought I better check the old rack. Turns out I had them on back to front so ended up swapping them over. I put some rack spacers in when the arms were off also, gives miles better lock angle when you get towards either end. Not going to be noticed on track, just for drift. When looking at the track rod ends on full lock with the spacers in the shape of them is an advantage as it gives more clearance, but if the rack was 'normal' I dont see how it would make any difference.

IMG_9059.jpg

20121006_184253.jpg

E46 M3
Some very good progress there!

Always wondered, and not sure if you can tell me, but why are the TRE's in an 'S' shape?

Could be sacrificial so if you whack a curb it bends the tre not something else more expensive and difficult to fix.

A VW Golf.....
Time for that cage soon... ;)

Can`t you get offset polybushes for the `lolipops` ? We have them on Matts, give a healthy Caster increase.

Don`t know if you missed my post, how was the Arduino @ Anglesey ?

Time for that cage soon... ;)

Can`t you get offset polybushes for the `lolipops` ? We have them on Matts, give a healthy Caster increase.

Don`t know if you missed my post, how was the Arduino @ Anglesey ?

Yeah, it already had the offset ones in, I had them on the E30 also. Unfortunately you cant get them in 60mm size for the E46 (to fit in the E36 lollipop), so I had to go with the normal ones. I could have used E36 bushes and ground the end of the E46 wishbone round but I didnt want to grind them really. Thought about fitting the entire lollipop from the E46 too but they are a different type.

Yeah it worked, just not had chance to try an overlay yet. Need to add a push button to one of the inputs really to 'start logging' as its a pain trying to get the data and video perfectly aligned!

So next up was fitting the rear coilovers, pretty simple..

IMG_9089.jpg

IMG_9090.jpg

IMG_9092.jpg

Adjusted the droop on the shock to 80mm for now as its the recommended starting point.

Set about welding a mount for the hydro in after that. Started with some 2mm steel bent into a box, then profiled it to the exhaust tunnel. Drilled four holes and welded nuts onto the back, then welded it in..

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

The missing piece next was brake lines. I had planned on using the braided lines from the E30 as its easier. Ended up having to get a slightly longer one made up for the N/S front, then routed the lines on the fronts..

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9083.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

Both fronts connect to the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt. The rear line is a bit different, as for a start its an M12 fitting on the master cylinder instead of an M10, and it needed to run inside to the hydro anyway. I decided to use copper for this as couldn't source anywhere that could make a line with an M12 fitting. Started with flaring the pipe (one thing I HATE doing), then put the line onto the car through into the hydro..

IMG_9088.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9097.jpg

It just needed bleeding from there which went without issue, then a rough alignment doing on the front end. Got round to both of those today so I could take it for a bit of a drive. First impressions are the E46 rack feel is so so much better weighted. The suspension is massively different too (set to 8 clicks out of 16 all round), just feels a much better ride and it probably helps the whole front end is new. Grabbed a few pictures whilst out, the front end track width difference can easily be seen now - just need some 45 profile tyres on the front instead of the ditch-finder 40's.

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

More soon!

Last edited:
Looks lovely. Are you planning to do some drifting with that hand brake?

Indeed, doing a couple of drift days coming up to christmas before concentrating on track days again next year. Wouldn't have fitted it otherwise

Planning on ripping the rear end off at some point in the coming months, after looking over it all when the suspension was off the rear subframe bushes could do with doing, along with a couple of the rear arm ones (done 115k after all), but I'l have to see how it goes!

That looks awesome Jord. Is it still on the road for testing?

Yeah, already highlighted a few issues earlier that need looking at but I'l come to that when I've got time. Probably going to pop down to the RR day next weekend in it pending it not p*ssing down!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good. New handbrake will come be very useful for drift days, will upset a lot of the "scene" people with their boggo MX5's/318's with your car too.

Would be cool to see it actually. I'll be at the RR day. It's d-day for the fiesta.

TBH It didn't need it, would easily slide in 3rd previously. I guess it just gives a bit more control on the speed, had a play with it earlier (on private land of course) and it does make it a lot easier to break the traction, at any speed

That looks F**king awesome! Want to do a hydro myself; spoke to Mat Pickering about doing one as he had one on his MX5 IIRC. Only thing I was unsure about was whether to bother keeping the original handbrake or not, but this seems to have cleared that up!
Brilliant work anyway!

Yeh Matty had one on his, I keep pestering him to get it on to his 14.

To be honest the only advantage in keeping the standard one is for parking if you use it as a daily too, oh and a proper MOT. They flog hydros that can 'lock' but its not advised as it keeps the system pressurised all the time and eventually seals will go. I'l more than likely remove the whole standard setup on this eventually, as E36s have shoes inside the disc (acting as a drum) for the handbrake. The biggest difference I noticed from the one I had in the E30 was the longer handle is so much better. More leverage = far less effort, it locks the wheels at 100mph near instantly with some heat in the pads.