ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 328i (Budget) Track Car

I got this one from someone I knew that hadn't used it. The same frame/handle (its 500mm) can be had from Demon Tweeks/Rally Design/OBP I think for about £50-60, then all you need is a cylinder (Wilwood .625 are about £30 on eBay). Can be done cheaper if you keep an eye out for a second hand setup or similar, Driftworks sell the whole lot as one ready to go but more ££

So yeah... we seem to be missing something.

930_10151546465508047_1119953446_n.jpg

Awesome!

I saw that you had a little something on facebook, Looking forward to seeing what you're putting in it. I already know part of it, just want to know the rest.

That shot really shows off the front camber as well.

Top mounts are set to minimum there, thats simply from the extra width of the E46 front wishbones lol. Yeah, well it was only a matter of time, I used it for a bit, few days and on the road and hated how flat it was until 4.5k>

Qashcow
I <3 your great ideas!

Just read the whole thread, wish I'd known about the E30 sooner, I fancied a challenge

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ooooo a custom sump!! Why do you need that then!?

Ditching the 6 pot for a lovely 4pot F4R because you love them so much!? haha

Basically the deeper section is usually at the front, but the problem is the crossmember on the E36 hits it, along with the steering rack. So just means you have to cut it back to a flange, then fab up an ally replacement so the deeper section is at the back closer to the bellhousing. I've kept the shallow section deep enough to allow the standard dipstick to function normally, and made the larger part deeper to increase overall capacity (they don't hold much oil as standard). Also added a baffle and better sump plug point. The good thing is the oil pump is internal to the block, and you just have a pick up pipe that comes down - so with the new sump its just a matter of making up a longer tube from the stock pickup to the new location at the back.

As good as F4Rs are... I wont ever have another! Il update once ive got it mounted, not really had time to sort it with it p*ssing down 24/7 recently!

Yeah, title needs renaming ha. Its not really costing more considering I've sold what bits I dont need, it just means more work lol.

Jon, I'm assuming you're on about the DriftOne/Driftworks day in Feb? If so I'm already booked onto it, but whether it makes it is another thing. I've got nothing done in the past week or two due to constant rain, and its not looking good over Christmas either!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, title needs renaming ha. Its not really costing more considering I've sold what bits I dont need, it just means more work lol.

Jon, I'm assuming you're on about the DriftOne/Driftworks day in Feb? If so I'm already booked onto it, but whether it makes it is another thing. I've got nothing done in the past week or two due to constant rain, and its not looking good over Christmas either!

You not got the unit and trailer anymore?

Yep still got my own trailer.. no I binned off the unit mid-summer, got bored of trekking there just to work on things (30min each way). Car stays behind work with the trailer now

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
What a shitter. You need to invest in a massive gazebo like Ed has. Once you've assembled it the first time it just folds down to a reasonably small size. Then when you want to put it back up it takes literally 2 minutes.

Got a couple, just cant be bothered using them lol. I'm in no rush to get it done, just works out that every time I've got a bit of spare time it rains, which is typical. If I dont do anything for a few weeks or a month its no biggy, not working to a deadline. Places for Feb are in high demand so I could sell it straight away if need be!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough then. If it's done by then I'll make sure I get down to see it. With your E30 I got to see the car once before it died :( and I don't think I saw the Mk1.

Yeah I was thinking of that one. Hopefully it will be done as I want to come along to this and watch. I guess if its not done, I'll probably go anyway.

Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Just spent the past 45 mins reading the whole of this thread!
Such a good read :)
Will have to get down to see this in action next time its out! Not seen u in ages lol

It was indeed. Other priorities came along, then went on holiday numerous times. Then I sold my E46 a while ago...

...and ended up buying an E36 for a daily :clown: nevermind.

1069379_10152054347058047_99709596_n.jpg

Rear subframe mounting points needed welding on the chassis (more common on M3 but they were rusty and split on mine), and I cracked the sump doing a skid day at Oulton Park. Couldn't be bothered fixing the sump, nor welding the rear end with the subframe removed. It sat around on the drive for a while, then other people I knew wanted the parts I had to I sold them all off without losing anything pretty much... amongst other things that came up at the time. Sold the E46 for more than I expected so got another as a cheap runabout for now, as I didnt want the liability of an expensive E61 lol.