ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E91 Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo - A slight downgrade

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Commuting in the RS3 was pointless. So its now with Hans to sell.

I bought this because its a bit different. It needs some love, but nothing drastic... kinda.

Its a D3 Bi-turbo, Alpina basically took a boggo 320d, swapped the engine for a lightly tuned 123d engine, changed the gearing, body work and all the suspension and exhaust.

It has 211bhp and 350lb/ft. It goes alright actually. On the run home it averaged 52mpg at outside lane speeds.

Biggest thing to note though is the ride, god its good. Way better than any M sport on the planet. I have no idea how Alpina get them to sit so low but ride perfectly. The suspension is Alpina specific Bilstiens.

This one is on 68k miles. It needs a front respray as someone has painted it lilac (well the wrong silver) at some point, it needs a few bits of interior trim, a new centre cap (£100 :() and a wheel refurb for it to be mint. I'll slowly work on it and then probably sell it.

Oh its also got the M Performance steering wheel, a £2400 option at the time of sale. It has shift lights, a lap timer and g meter display on it. Its odd.

Only one pic for the time being. I'll post more as I make it less purple.....

40324F1F-2FCC-4B9B-A761-263BDBCB8507.jpg

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Looks good! You got stuff in the boot as the rear sits really low?!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
My Dad had a 123d. It was pretty decent for a 4-cylinder diesel, the twin turbos fill that torque gap below 2k rpm.
Yeah this one will rev out to 5200rpm without dropping off. Its more revvy than my Mrs' JCW Mini.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Love it. Easily the best choice of all the options you gave.
I know the sticker pack gets creamed over by fanboys, but I'm not a fan. Bin?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Love it. Easily the best choice of all the options you gave.
I know the sticker pack gets creamed over by fanboys, but I'm not a fan. Bin?
I like it. It gives it an identity. Got a thumbs up from an GT3 driver on the way out of London with it. Seems car people like them.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Love these.

Alpina wheels are the alloy equivalent of the wonderbra. They can make anything look good

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I never really like the Alpina look but that is spot on in Silver and estate guise.

Stickers are w**k.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
love them, always have. Especially the Bi-turbo versions.

For me it would have to be a black touring with the Alpina Dynamic wheels.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
what's your plans on keeping the wheels clean. Do you actually have time to clean your cars or do you let the polish do it.

Oh and you ee a wheel badge..

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
what's your plans on keeping the wheels clean. Do you actually have time to clean your cars or do you let the polish do it.

Oh and you ee a wheel badge..
Wheels need a refurb and yes I need a new £100 centre cap. Annoyingly its get brand new budget tyres on the front, so ditching them seems a waste!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I can't unsee the purple bumper now you've mentioned it.

I do love these but I properly despise those alloys. Every alpina is let down by those wheels.
I had my mate laughing all the way back from London at its purple nose.....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just chuck them on ebay, some tight ar5e will buy them.
Car looks nice btw, id rather a 330d, but i do like the "differentness" of an Alpina.
Cheaper than a 330d, better mpg and might hold its value better. After I've spent about £2k on it.....

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Love it mate. My brother has a 320d tourer. It's not standard. I Drove it the other night on a private track. The thing hits 160mph with ease lol. The tourqe is immense.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Lol! Good friend haha

Go on, post a pic of the front
I really don't want to. Its a totally different colour at the front lol.

I found the bill for the spray, £1200 to correct stone chips. (And paint it the wrong colour!)

2014 Clio 200t edc
Awesome thing!! Definately get some more pictures up please.
I personally think the stickers look ace.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I had an E90 D3 BT for a while, they're really good cars.

There is some serious suspension magic going on in them, I don't know how they did it because it's nothing especially trick but it rides well and handles beautifully - on the right road you'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Niche car to be sure, but the tourings in particular have a following and will hold their value. The Alpina Register is a good source of information if you need it. The steering wheel is much, much nicer than the standard one, although the display is a gimmick at best I did find the shift lights useful on occasion.

Nice choice :smile:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Nice car and colour, well except the lilac bit but other than the worst wheels ever it seams like a decent car.
Good luck with it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I actually really like that, good work.

£1200 of paint though? How much did they paint the wrong colour for £1200???
Bumper and bonnet and wings blended...

It's a good job TBF, shame it's lilac.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Looks really smart, much prefer your alloys to the really s**t alpina ones that seem to be on most D3's

10511e20b134223df67bffcf8f2aa54a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk