ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Earthing!!

TT
Firstly opinions on where the best place to earth is? i have my amps earthed to my rear seatbelt buckle bolts, and its useless, for some reason whenever its cold i get major interference in my sub!

Secondly, do i need to earth each amp seperatly or can i use a cable distribution box from one earthing point to multiple amps?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
When earthing anything, the trick is to get down to the bare metal.
Use a decent soldered ring terminal and fasten it down with a serrated washer.

On your car you can make a good connection to earth on the bolts that hold the cross-member support between the rear wheel arches, but clean the metal first.

You can earth both (or more) amps at the same point if you are sure the connection is good and clean.

Problems can occur if you have two amps earthed at the same point and the earth to the car frame fails, then they try to find a path to earth through each other.

Electical current always takes the path of least resistance.

When you have made your connections, give the earth point a light wipe over with some vaseline jelly will prevent corrosion getting a grip and causing high resistance on the joint.

Renault Clio mk2 RSi 16v
if your earthing an am then try the rear right as u look in the boot . theres a earth there for your rear lights . put it there

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I would not recommend using an existing earthing point on the car, particularly the lighting circuits, for exactly the reason I gave.

If you get a bad connection your lights will start to play up and you will end up with a pull.

Have you ever followed a car when its lights start to go mad....brake lights go out when indicator flashes and so on.....thats caused by a bad earth and the bulbs finding their own path to earth... through each other..