ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Easiest way to remove 172 exhaust manifold?

ClioSport 172 Cup
I disagree, the power delivery is much better in the lower rpms and feels more torquey. With the 172 manifold the power through 3000 to 4000 rpm was sluggish and hesitant to say the least compared to this manifold(I doubt renault put money into a new manifold design for the sheer hell of it, anyone who says there are no gains to be had from this are crazy). Henk has even said its worth remapping my car for this mod, so there are obviously gains and £120 isnt bad for 10bhp. The only thing that i regret from doing it is this vibration, my mechanic suggested putting the 172 manifold back on and i really dont want to now. The engine really does feel that much better. In fact i'm going to do the RS Tuner performance analyser after henk has remapped and show you there is a gain over the 4-1 manifold design, its common sense that a longer manifold increases torque and bhp!

Lionel Richie
bring it down and let someone who knows their arse from their elbow have a look at it

(and it is a waste only due to the time/effort envolved to fit it Vs the gains, or lack there of, show me a 172/182 without ITB's or boost doing sub 14sec 1/4 miles)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
bring it down and let someone who knows their arse from their elbow have a look at it

(and it is a waste only due to the time/effort envolved to fit it Vs the gains, or lack there of, show me a 172/182 without ITB's or boost doing sub 14sec 1/4 miles)

Dynacup aint far off that iirc ;)

ITB'd MK1
there are benefits to the 182 manifold, not to peak numbers though, and certainly not worth the work to do the swap on it's own. Probably worthwhile if you had the engine out or subframe off for something else at the same time, but otherwise i dont think i could do it in clear conscience if a customer thought they'd see a 10bhp power bump

ClioSport 172 Cup
The Renault Formula 2.0 car uses as much longer manifold design, its primaries almost twice the length as on the 172. A Longer manifold will always produce more torque. I would rather have more down low torque than an engine that you have to scream, for road use anyway. Also I want to change cams next, so you must agree that the 182 mani change is a good mod in light of that?

Evo 8 MR
Sounds to me like you haven't fitted the 182 to 172 exhaust decat. There is a decat available that fits the 182 manifold to a 172 system, if you use a 182 cat it is too long for the 172 system to fit afaik.

Clio 172 Cup
Sounds like the manifold must be bent slightly, I fitted the 182 manni to mine and it fits pefectly well.
Going back to the original question though, i Found the only way to get it on was to drop the sub frame....... Not a small job by any strech of the means. Well worth doing though :cool:

ClioSport 172 Cup
Hi Neil I think you are right about my manifold being bent slightly. I have had the entire exhaust off and re-fitted it myself and had a look under the car and the flange on the cat will not sit up against the manifold flange cleanly even with the bolts tightened up full, there is at least a 1cm gap on one side.

ClioSport 172 Cup
my mechanic modified the genuine 182 renault cat to fit onto my current exhaust system and adjusted the length of the system so it would fit in. i have looked and the exhaust all seems to be in line and the right length, just the engine side(flange) of the renault cat doesnt seem to want to cleanly butt up against the manifold flange, it doesnt look right...he used all the proper kit too, the bolts with the springs etc. it gets to a point where im tightening the bolts on the flange and they will tighten no further....

ClioSport 172 Cup
the end of cat connecting to the manifold just catches speed bumps too. it all seems to be sitting lower to me than before i put it on..

ClioSport 172 Cup
This is interesting. Thought I would ask the guy outright on ebay that i purchased my manifold and cat from if it had been involved in an accident and he said this:

It was a crash at 30mph from the rear of the car only reason broke was because it had damaged rear quater everything in the engine bay was un-touched even exhaust backbox was straight.

Nice of him to inform me or put a note on ebay...

ClioSport 172 Cup
If it is bent am I stuffed or are there other ways and means?? I was wondering if it would be possible to bend it back.

ClioSport 172 Cup
My mechanic has suggested he could fabricate me a shorter lower engine link which would in effect tip the engine forward slightly and cause the manifold to lift up away from the subframe..

340i
Slacken all the engine mounts off, and pull the engine forward... There is NO NEED to be chopping and re-fabbing mounts

ClioSport 172 Cup
The engine will not move at all. Even with the engine mounts bolted up or slackened off it cannot be rocked or moved without great force. It used to have movement before the 182 manifold was fitted...it has to be lifted on a jack before it will start to get any movement in the mounts.

ITB'd MK1
so do that then......guarantee it'll move forwards if you slacken the 4 bolts on the upper engine mount, and the 2 on the upper gearbox mount. You may need to us a pry bar to shift it about, but thats what needs doing

ClioSport 172 Cup
Ive just been out and given it a try but i dont have a bar long enough to get any sort of leverage :(. i have a crowbar but its not long enough to get down behind the engine..

ITB'd MK1
right, I have a car in thats a 172 with 182 manifold, so a took a look at the conversion pipe on it with you in mind. the cat/decat pipe has to be angled and not straight onto the flange. I'll get a picture tomorrow if i get a chance

ITB'd MK1
quick sketch

172to182.png

paint FTW

ClioSport 172 Cup
Ahhhh. So the side of the cat that connects to the exhaust is allll wrong then. My dipstick of a mechanic has clamped a straight piece of pipe to that side and sleeved it into my centre box. So he has basically got to weld a flange onto that side(which is what I asked him to do at the beginning, I even showed him a picture of the KTEC sports cat). Would this be causing my manifold to touch my subframe though? as thats the major issue..

ClioSport 172 Cup
I really don`t know whether to let me mechanic continue with this as hes already charged me £120 just to drop the subframe, pull the engine forward and bolt up a manifold and then modify my cat incorrectly...and I`d like to add I was with him helping him out also.
Can anyone on here weld me a new flange(exhaust side) onto my renault cat to make it line up correctly??

Samuel

ClioSport 172 Cup
I love Dan and Fred...and whoever else said slacken engine mounts and pull engine forward. It's worked!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy, finally out of the nightmare! :)

ClioSport 172 Cup
I know! Thanks to you all. I suppose this thread didn't have to be as long as this if i tried what you said in the first place..