ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Easy way of disabling dash tweeters

Is there a quick fix way of disabling the dash tweeters in my 2002 dynamique ?

I installed some infinity 552is in the front today but now ive got 4 tweeters up front and its sounding very harsh even with treble turned all the way down :(
Its sounds quite good when I cover them up with my hands :)

I dont particularly want to remove the dash if possible, I just know It will never fit right again and rattle such is my luck lately.

Any help appreciated
RIOT

Cutting wires is an easy fix I suppose just need to find which ones to cut.
Where does the tweeter stem off from the main speaker cable ?

Let me guess...its a dash off job :(

Or is it possible to disable the tweeters on the 552is ?

couldnt use run new wires to the new speakers.

you have 4 tweeters? so your speakers are comps and you used the original speaker cable form the back of the stock HU as the output from the crossover for the mid? and then wired up you new tweeters? sorry i am confused, if you did that, wouldnt the stock tweeter be playing low frequencies?

My new speakers are coaxials they have tweeters built in to them.
The old tweeters are still wired to the renault wiring loom

All ive done is take out stock 13cm speakers, and put the 552is in ther place which means the old tweeters are still active and now so are the new ones

There is no other way of doing this than by removing the dash unfortunately. The standard tweeters ar spliced in somewhere in the middle of a huge loom so the only real way is to disconnect them at the speaker or run new wires from head unit and splice them in where the wires go into the door.

stick a pin through a hole near the edge of the tweeter grill but not too far in, now unscrew the tweeter grill and off it comes. unplug old tweeter, job done. no taking off dash or anything

The speaker wire goes from the HU to the door connector (http://www.mcmillan-uk.com/clio/plug.jpghttp://www.mcmillan-uk.com/clio/plug.jpg) on the A pillar and a second (slightly thinner) wire goes from the same pin on the connector up to the tweeters - so all you have to do is cut one of the wires to dissable the factory tweeters.

Sorry, but I cant remember what pin it is on the connector block - but it is pretty easy to figure out if you have a multimeter. If you get stuck PM me and I will have a look at mine and tell you which wire to cut.

If you do decide to remove the dash and follow the "how to" removal guide - remove the plastic trim from the A pillars before you try to remove the dash.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

wot happens then if he wants to put the factory tweeters back in, if he sells the car and wants to keep his ice. best thing to do is to unscrew the tweeter grills as Ians says and unplug the tweeter, takes about 30 seconds.:)

Ians youve lost me.... I didnt think the grills were removable.
Im not following the purpose of the pin. You just say stick it through a hole but not what to do with it. Is it to lever off the grill or unclip something.......

I cant see any screws to undo either :(

Frustrating as hell not knowing what to do :(

Cheers for that info Craig illl have a look at that too.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

the idea of the pin is just to help u twist it off.

they do come off as i did it in my m8s clio the otherday and he now has kicker tweeters sitting in the hole as the kicker ones fit perfectly.

Right I got the grills off....after snapping a pin in haf and then burrying it into my finger ! OUCH !

Trouble is now I can see the tweeter but I cant get it out :(

There are no screws holding it down just two plastic clips either side. If I flip the clips out I then cant get the tweeter out of the hole. Its a daft design whereby only half of the tweeter is under the grill and the other half is open as if its all been misaligned

You kind of need to unclip pull up then lever out with a big screwdriver but it just gets stuck !

Anyone got any tips ? james24785 ?

btw, im james24785 at the moment, im at me uncles house and he is Ians and i cant be bothered to log in as meself

No need, a big screwdriver worked :D

Took some doing to lever it out but there out alright !

Its made a huge difference to the sound as these tweeters are really very poor quality !

Cheers to everyone who helped
RIOT

Mr2 Roadster

Drive car into wall at 100mph, they should stop working shortly after impact...

p.s. you may need an ambulance driver/fireman to check this for you!

I havent replaced the tweeters in the dash just removed them, ive got Infinity 552i coaxs in the doors but im thinking of moving them to the back and putting components in the front now I know how easy it is to get at the wires
Havent decided yet