ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EBC Yellows - Motul 600 - Braided Hoses = No performance?

MX-5 turbo
Hi All,

New here - co-own a 182 and last weekend did our second track day in our 182 Cup.

First was end of last year at Bedford, car was great but our brakes cooked quite quickly so we recently swapped them to Yellow stuff pads on the front axle, fitted some HEL braided lines, and flushed through all new Motul fluid. The front discs are OEM spec brembo.
We left the rear axle with new but OEM spec discs and pads - nothing fancy.

By the end of the morning the braking performance had really dropped off and the pedal going quite soft. Not as bad as before at Bedford but really noticeably worse which was disappointing. The nice bite never returned and after we wrecked a tyre on a kerb we decided to call it a day early.

Do these cars need performance discs as well as pads? Most other cars i've owned I've got away with just good pads, lines and fluid.

Any other pointers worth checking out?

EBC pads are a strange one. Work well on some cars not on others. I use them in my MR2 and they preform well all day long and have lasted 5+ days with another day left on them. I've also used them in a fat 6MPS as well and they again performed well all day albeit needed replacing after one day. On the Clio though they were very substandard for some reason.

I've used most track pads for the Clio like CL, EBC, Mintex, Ferodo etc and it was the last one I tried which was far superior to the rest...Ferodo DS1.11. These coupled to MTEC grooved/dimpled discs were all the braking power that was required for my Clio. Great cold bite, awesome hot bit, gentle to discs, very consistent coefficient all day long and last ages.

Another option is PBS pads, they get good reviews on Clio's and are probably similar priced to the EBC pads. Also remove front fog lights and front arch liners, this aids cooling slightly.

MX-5 turbo
EBC pads are a strange one. Work well on some cars not on others. I use them in my MR2 and they preform well all day long and have lasted 5+ days with another day left on them. I've also used them in a fat 6MPS as well and they again performed well all day albeit needed replacing after one day. On the Clio though they were very substandard for some reason.

I've used most track pads for the Clio like CL, EBC, Mintex, Ferodo etc and it was the last one I tried which was far superior to the rest...Ferodo DS1.11. These coupled to MTEC grooved/dimpled discs were all the braking power that was required for my Clio. Great cold bite, awesome hot bit, gentle to discs, very consistent coefficient all day long and last ages.

Another option is PBS pads, they get good reviews on Clio's and are probably similar priced to the EBC pads. Also remove front fog lights and front arch liners, this aids cooling slightly.

Thanks pal - nice MR2! - I used to have a 2ZZ car back a couple years ago as well - That car had great braking performance even with stock Pagids.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
EBC pads are 5hite! I have tried them on a few cars now and used various of their compounds and in all honesty i'm surprised that they have not got a new chemist yet,as the last set I had Orange I think the compound was...literally fell apart when they were removed from my calliper and that was some that were given as a trial set from EBC to test out for them on my Subaru.I don't like to rubbish a company but I would Never purchase a set of Ebc pads for no vehicle that myself or a loved one would be driving.SJ.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
general rule is soft pedal is fluid. hard pedal not scrubbing any speed off is pads

You say you co own it, and when people usually share a track car it usually gets "back to back " sessions. So the usual 20 mins on or so and 20 minutes off, usually goes out the window and the car never really gets a proper cool down . As the passenger gets back to the pits/paddock, gets out waits 2 mintues and goes yep i'm off out now!

a flush of some decent fluid and some better pads will transform your car's braking. Better rear brake pads (when the calipers are working as they should, a lot showing their age now if not been refreshed/replaced) do help scrub speed off, will help keep the bias in check and will run cooler so will wear better (especially if sharing the car as above) so work out similar cost vs replacing oe spec pads much quicker

Brake cooling has been mentioned from the front fogs, cheap and effective. I can supply the ducting for that and various pads, discs, fluid etc etc. Send me a message @Paulb123 I'll get you some options for your brakes (y)