ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU blown, options?

Clio 182
I'm told my ECU might of blown due to charging the battery whilst still connected to the car.
If I need an ECU what are my options?
Can it be repaired?
If not can I just replace the ECU or will I need keys and ignition ring too?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You would have to go a long way to actually destroy a Sirius 32/34 as they're tough mutha f*****s! I've seen someone put the battery terminals the wrong way and it survived that and actual failures, whilst they happen, are extremely rare.

What problems are you actually having to make you suspect the ECU is dead? I've seen loads that have been charged and even spiked which i've got driving again.

Mick

Clio 182
You would have to go a long way to actually destroy a Sirius 32/34 as they're tough mutha f*****s! I've seen someone put the battery terminals the wrong way and it survived that and actual failures, whilst they happen, are extremely rare.

What problems are you actually having to make you suspect the ECU is dead? I've seen loads that have been charged and even spiked which i've got driving again.

Mick
I've posted this a few times in different sections/forums/facebook.
Battery went flat on the car as I left it 2 weeks without starting.
The starter motor was clicking when I tried to start it so not fully dead.
Charged the battery up and it wont start, added my van on jump leads to boost the power and it still wont start!
Done all the immobilizer reset stuff. Immobilizer light goes off before I try to start.
There was a permanent buzz/hum under the bonnet when the ignition was on without the engine running prior to the battery going flat, that is not doing that now.
I have the ELECTRONIC FAULT WARNING light on when I turn the car over but not sure if it's supposed to do that or whether it did it before?
When I turn the ignition on I can here the fuel pump under the rear seats pump for a second.
Car still wont start and the scrap yard is looming!!

Volvo S60 T5
Change the fuses in the engine bay fuse box , the amount of times I have been told "I've checked the fuses and they are all ok"
To find its a blown fuse is alarming.
30amp and a 5amp if I remember correctly.
The buzzing is the electronic throttle body which is normal, not doing it now due to ecu having lost a supply.
Next step is to check wiring from fuse board area to ecu , spend 30 or 40 mins and take all the insulation off , carefully inspect and gently tug along each wire , look for discoloured wires which would indicate a fault with that wire.
I take it you have plugged in a diagnostic system ?

Clio 182
Change the fuses in the engine bay fuse box , the amount of times I have been told "I've checked the fuses and they are all ok"
To find its a blown fuse is alarming.
30amp and a 5amp if I remember correctly.
The buzzing is the electronic throttle body which is normal, not doing it now due to ecu having lost a supply.
Next step is to check wiring from fuse board area to ecu , spend 30 or 40 mins and take all the insulation off , carefully inspect and gently tug along each wire , look for discoloured wires which would indicate a fault with that wire.
I take it you have plugged in a diagnostic system ?
Thanks I'll check fuses now. No I don't have a diagnostic tool, do I need to get one off eBay for £17?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Widen the search then but really you need CLIP to really speed things up as it'll tell you exactly what isn't on CAN.

From there you can start to understand the problem and then fix it. It may not be fuse related and be a broken wire or poor earth.

172 Turbo
Have you tried putting a jump lead from the battery to the starter and see if it spins over. If it does, connect a jump lead from negative to gearbox and see if it starts

Clio 182
It's something to do with the throttle body as its not buzzing when the ingnition is on. There is nothing wrong with the body itself as I've swapped with another car I have and it works fine!!!!!

renault clio 1.4 16v
Have u checked the relays and fuses in the engine bay, theres also a large multi connector plug in there that can cause some problems...

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
check the black and purple relays under the bonnet as they was the cause to starting issue on mine.