ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU for Clio

hi BenR

Im thinking of doing Dastek Unichip, at 382GBP...

Wat other mods can gain more power?

so far I have done
- K&N cone filter
- Supersprint 4-1 exhaust manifold
- pass thru the thermostat for coolent

your in singapore right?
if you do get the datsek, youll need it setting up on rolers...obviously.

but what is pass though thermostat for coolent?
are your refering to wirering the thermosts open all the time so it passes throught the radiator constantly?

and didnt you make a cold air box for the filter? if not, go and make one!!! and use the standard airbox with the hot air pipe removed, and re-routed to the front.

supersprint manifold is good, but is it port matched or is it tubular? a whole single box system will help make better use of hat expensive manifold....stainless right?

i would hold off the unichip until you get th full system, if you can find them, higher lift cams, balance the bottom end, and possibly port the head. If your in the UK, i can do this for you for about 300quid since its 16V and 16 ports..alot of work!
wont be radical, but will smooth airflow no end! about a 12% gain in flowwithout losing airspeed.

hi BenR

Yup...Im from Singapore...we have a bunch of Renault lovers here, do check out our website www.renaultcarclub.com

One of the Renault Car Club member is getting Unichip for his 1.4L 8v Clio tomorrow. Cant wait to hear from him...wats the power gain.

Yes, have made the free flow on the thermostat...on cool days, the engine temp is only on 1/3 mark.

Hmmm, dont have any cold air box...only have open cone K&N filter installed. We are still loooking for ways to get it done. Any suggestions?

port matched? hmmm, dont think anyone has done it here....

Already asked Kent & Piper Cams, they dont have ready camshaft for 1.4L 16v Clio...

Ben, Im interested to get camshaft for my Clio...Do you think its possible to work on the stock camshaft first?

the unichip on standard, or slightly modded engine should only give about 5-10 (absolute MAX!!!!) extra.

getting it port matched it easy, just take off the inlet and exhaust manifold and check it with a gasket to see if it lines up without any steps....i think the exhaust manifold is tubular, so no probs there.

i will check teh 1.4 16V when i get back to see what can be done.
My email is Ching@iamwasted.com so contact me in mid july about it. i might be able to help.

as for the cam, i dont know anywhere in singapore that can reprofile the camshafts. ill have to look around and see.

waiting in anticipation here...am in singapore too...

kk, how much did it cost you at gandhis to do the thermostat thingy?

tested nicks car this morning with kev...no a whole lot of difference cos it was deathly hot and the Ac was switched on...but noticed slight improvement only...it will be more for our 16v engines...but the thing is, is it worth the moolah? the jury is still out on that...

ok, if you guys remind me around july (end of) to have a look at teh 14.4 16V airbox then ill have a go at modyfying one and possibly mailing it to you, or sending it with ym dad cause hes goin to singapore this summer to see my bro.

yeah, you mentined that your running the K&N cone filter only...i will try to mod the 1.4 16V airbox to either take the cone filter or a replacement panel filter and suck in cold air only, with slver heat wrap (since its real hot in singapore).

benr, would like to hear more when you actually do get it done...would very much like to increase the cool air flow to the cone filter...right now kk and i are only running the cone in the battery compartment with the battery heat shield keeping out the hot air from the engine compartment...have got the heatshield paint metallic silver to help a bit more but thats about it...

awaiting your news, mate...i can be reached at konahead@renaultcarclub.com

cheers!

Why would you want to remove the thermostat from the cooling system?? All this will do is cause problems, and stop the ecu from running the engine properly.
Becuase the coolant system is set up to give adequate flow, to prevent from overheating, increasing the flow aint going to do anything unless the engine is running too hot (wont because of the thermofan).
This will infact COST you power and driveability, becuase the ecu will always think the engine is cold, and therefore stay in a warm up program, running too rich to give you full power. I would not reccomend this.

Also, wheh the engine is only 1/3 warm, there is larger temp differences between the cylinder walls and the engine ancilliaries, meaning the oil has to work harder.
These are my thoughts.
Could anyone explain why this IS a good thing??
Dont want to be a pain in the ....
Paul

Removing the cooling thermostat does NOT sound like a very good idea to me. As well as problems with fuelling that this may cause, the engine is designed for optimum efficiency and service life when warmed up. Making it run cooler will increase friction, causing loss of power, and wear the engine out quicker.

Regarding ECUs for the Clio, I previously ran a 1.4 16v, currently run a 1.6 16v, and I have had both ECUs reprogrammed by a company in the UK called Superchips to give about 10% more power and torque, at the expense of a few less miles per gallon fuel consumption. There was no need for any rolling road testing (Superchips have already done this on a test car at their development centre) and the effect is instant - the car feels quicker and the throttle response much crisper. Superchips have world-wide agents and they are on the net.

y16vrs...do you have the web url? somewhat hesitant about reprogramming the ecu at this point in time cos the local agent here in singapore are very picky about it...voids warranty and all that sh*te...

thats the reason why i was considering a dastek unichip instead...

await yrs...ta!

strike! hey thanks, man...weve never met up ya? if you are free, drop by the temple of doom on monday arvo for lunch with us?

thanks for the web site addy...im stumped beyond stumped...good grief!

FRST and 106 GTi

Hi ppl... first time in this forum.

I own a full driveble Clio RTi 1.4lts 95, and superchips tweak comes around for 300Eur. All this for only a 5hp breath. ouchhhh 60Eur for each hp

I also own a none driveble Clio 1.8lts 16v 94. I dont intend to chip this one because for now the engine is beeing dismentaled.

BUTRE

hi y16vrs & PaulD

the thermostat is still there...just that it is modified to allow free flow of coolent to the engine.

butre, good to see that you finally made it here...hope you manage to get some better advice...sorry i was not of much help...

FRST and 106 GTi

no problem... thanks for letting me know about this forum.
Here in Portugal is hard to find really good ppl whom to share some ideas about tweaking.
In here, the general idea about tuning is looks and saying "Im the best of the road ohohoh"... lamme

BUTRE