ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EGP without SRP

F56 MINI Cooper S
So is it effective if I wash then EGP without polishing first? Or is it a waste of time and effort?

Looking to just wash then a quick seal after.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Depends what condition your paintwork is in. SRP is a filling polish, so if your paint looks swirly after the wash, it'll still look swirly after the EGP.

Not a 320d
Bonds fine, being a sealant It probably bonds better actually, but it deepnds on the state of the paintwork. Not the most durable of sealants as im sure youll know.

Might give it a bit of bling thats all.

F56 MINI Cooper S
would it protect it still though? or is washing and drying with nothing over just as good? bearing in mind I wash it every week anyway...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Whatever finish your car has after washing/drying is the same as what will be there after EGP...its just a sealant, doesn't do anything to the paint to enhance the bodywork. So you will just put a layer of protection on the surface its put on to.

Not a 320d
Itll add a layer of sealant so it will repel water for all of its 5 day lifespan, it will also add a bit of gloss but dont expect miracles. Itll make washing and drying a lot easier.

Like I said thought dont expect miracles. Id point you in the direction of something like Fk1000p from Clean your car or something instead.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What is on the car at the moment, and how recently was it applied? As said EGP doesn't last long, so providing the car comes up spotless after a wash I'd recommend application every other week to keep some kind of protection on it.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Normally wash every week and wax every week. Looking to do something quicker i can do in less time, eg spread a sleant over and wipe off in quick time, what sounds like my best bet? whats megs quick detailer like?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Quick detailer isn't wax. Sounds like you need to try a new spray sealant, something like Werkstat Acrylic Trigger.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
EGP could probably be used as a spray sealant if put in a spray bottle. werkstatt I'd imagine to last a lot longer than EGP and wouldn't need such regular application. As said providing the car still comes up clean after washing no need for SRP as this will more than likely strip most things back and start again, just add another layer of EGP. I'd stick with this till you run out then look for a replacement as it soon becomes very expensive and you end up like the rest of us with countless bottles / tubs of half used products

BMW E46 330i Touring
4 years of build up will definitely need claying if it hasn't been already. I try and do it at least once a year.

F56 MINI Cooper S
after 4 yrs it will deffo need claying, try reading this first

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=219972

if ur using a good wax then u shouldnt need to be doing it every week. a good wax should last a few months atleast.

wash, clay, polish, wax then get a beer and cry wen it rains 5 minutes afterwards

thanks for the link mate, seems alot to read mind you lol. What is a weekley was consist of, if im not waxing every week? just a quick spray of something?

thanks for the link mate, seems alot to read mind you lol. What is a weekley was consist of, if im not waxing every week? just a quick spray of something?

A car doesn't need washing weekly get that out your head. You proberly do more bad than good unless you have a really good wash technique and I bet you didn't to start with.

A good detail should last 3-4months with regular washes not weekly. Say every 3-6weeks just pressure wash down, shampoo & mitt, rinse. The car will still have the protection layers on or top it up with something like Z8.

If you want to wash it more thats up to you.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Z8 is a sealent? to be fair it needs doing every week because it gets dirty after a few days drive to work and back, esp in the winter.

thanks for the help, just basic stuff i am after because as i said, in the winter i dont want to be spending 2 hours waxing every week in the freezing cold, just something easy to spray on and wipe off with ease

Jordi read up seriously.

Do a winter detail get something like FK1000p or AG HD wax will last the winter period if you apply it in say Nov then all you need to do is a quick blast with pressure washer. Done. Saves you loads of time and cold b****cks.

Sealant or wax they are both going to add protection against the elements.

What wax do you apply weekly and how?

F56 MINI Cooper S
with regards to waxes, i currently use meguires gold class wax (comes with free applicator in yellow) how long do you think this lasts time wise?

I know you say about just pressure wash and then job done, my problem with this is the paint feels rough as fcuk if i dont put anything on, hence me waxing every week

Jordi the paint feeling rough means it needs claying I told you in the last thread you did.(maybe find the old thread and have another look through it).

Rough paintwork = Contaminants.

Solution = Claying, smooth as glass.

As for that wax no idea but I would imagine it lasts longer than a week, so all you are doing is cleaning it then adding another layer of wax.

My suggestion would be to strip it all back and start again. Get some decent wax.

F56 MINI Cooper S
thanks alot i will clay it then seems best although doesnt seem to be easy job, see how i get on. can the kits from megs clay kit do the job?

as for decent wax, ive got some collinite 476 - which i dont really like, wont buff of my car stays on takes me ages to get it off

Yeah megs clay kit will be fine.

Read up before get a good understanding of how to do it. Watch some YouTube vids or something. Also read up on the best washing technique the better the clean before claying the better the results at the end.

AG HD wax amazon £25

ag wax is simple enough to use, with the 476 are u puttin to much on?? u only wanted a thin layer of wax.
just enough so tht u can see it. make sure ur not applying it on a hot surface too.
best bet would be to hit halfrauds and take advantage of the 3 for 2 offers. ag hd wax, megs clay kit and some ag srp.
sorted

F56 MINI Cooper S
ye 3 for 2 is what i do. Put a fair bit of wax on more the better i feel, although even in the winter it wouldnt come off, ifound myself pushing the bodywork trying to get the stuff off, thought it was just down to the freezing weather but is the same all year round. dont use it often because megs goes on and off so much easier, although isnt rated that highly it seems

less is better, ur only gonna buff off the excess and waste it
only ever put down a thin even layer, thts y it is hard to buff off

BMW E46 330i Touring
'Less is more' is one of the foundation rules of detailing Jordi. The reason it's hard to get off is because it's curing in massive lumps. It's wax, it goes hard when it's cooled, which is does when you're not handling it. It needs to be thin.

Not a 320d
Jesus f**king christ.

Buy FK 1000p.

Clay the car.

Wipe the pannels down with IPA (Google it) if you have some.

Apply Fk 1 pannel at a time. Thinly. The thinner the better. All you need to do is Swipe the pplicator once across the wax and youre loaded up for a pannel.

476 is so hard to remove because you need to apply in small areas then remove without letting it dry. IIRC this is almost immediately.

I find FK lasts a lot longer and also beads and sheers better, for longer when applied to a clean surface.

Also, cars should be clayed once a year minimum. New cars are the worst for it, trust me.

Also Megs Clay Kit is £25 is it not. f**king ridiculous. Buy something else online and use shampoo and water as lube. Bilthamber is probably the cheapest out there and its also the favorite for most people