ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eibach pro with standard dampers

derv biege barge
Hi,

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I bought Eibach pro kit back in Jan 2012, I bought new rear dampers from Renault Cardiff at the same time.

I have covered 5,000 miles since all this was fitted and the rear dampers are leaking oil already.

The front standard dampers have covered approx 35,000 miles during my ownership, 5,000 of which are on the Eibachs, these dampers still appear ok.

I am just about to leave to go to Renault for a warranty assessment on the dampers which I think they won't honour due to the Eibach springs.

Does anybody else have similar experiences when running standard dampers with the Eibach springs?

Car is a Clio 182FF both cup packs.

If Renault do not honour the warranty what are my best choices for some rear dampers to suit the Eibachs? I was thinking Spax adjustable or Koni adjustables.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Marc

derv biege barge
Update:

Panic over, replaced & fitted under warranty. No arguments they simply just got on with it.

Can't say fairer than that.

I would like to say a big thank you to all at Renault Cardiff. They made the warranty claim process as painless as possible for me. Friendly & sympathetic staff during all my 4-5 dealings with them since owning my first Renault.

Car feels superb again.

ph2 172
it would still be interesting to here if anyone else has had any issues with uprated/lowered springs and standard dampers.

derv biege barge
It would be nice to get any feed back if others have experienced short lifespan on standard shocks I would sooner get them off now whilst they are still good, sell them and put the money towards some Koni's

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
i have a clio 172 with eibach pros and standard dampners. It new fronts when springs where fitted, rears are orginals. Havent had any problems. Wanting the rears to start leaking so I can justify some new ones!

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
I've covered 15,000 miles on my standard dampers and Eibach's without any problems, I know this is a popular setup and wouldn't have thought it to be an issue else there'd have a been alot more threads like this one.

derv biege barge
Lol @ Matthew.

1 day & 80 miles of relaxed driving later the drivers side rear shock has traces of oil over it with a ball of oil pooling at the bottom of the damper. Passenger side is still dry but I will check it again tomorrow.

I will be checking this daily, can't believe I'm having such bad luck with this & Agree with DTM not many threads on this so shouldn't be a problem.

Renault even agrees that the spring should not affect the lifespan of the shock. Hence they changed them for me at no cost, they even valeted the car. Can't fault the service so far, although I think the Cliosport.net sticker and tax disc holder helped.

derv biege barge
Car is perfect to drive when the shocks are not leaking. No odd noises to hear, checked all 4 wheels for signs of play and everything is solid. I changed the rear discs, bearings and pads 12 months ago, all still in very good condition.

I can't find any play anywhere, car is solid, the only thing that is not standard are the springs.

Even checked the part numbers fitted to the car and that's correct too 8200681125 stamped on the dampers.

What else could cause the shocks to fail like this other than faulty shocks, all 4 of them?

I'm completely confused, the Eibach pro kit hardly lowers the car over standard, so cant understand why this is happening.

Needless to say I will be contacting Renault in the morning for further assistance with the matter.

derv biege barge
Further update:

Just got off the phone to Renault service dept, car is booked in next Wednesday for another warranty job.

So far this has cost me 2 holiday days from work. I'm sure I could of put the 2 days to better use.

I'm convinced it's not the springs now as last time they went the passenger side was the first to go and leaked far more than the drivers side, yet this time with the new units it seems to be the other way round with the drivers side leaking a lot more than passenger side.

If it was a fault with my car then surely the wear rate would be replicated as per the previous two dampers.

I also gave it some beans around a few roundabouts on the way home from work today to load up the passenger shock which still seems to be dry.

The car is in good order and has had everything replaced as and when needed during my ownership.

I cant see what could cause this failure apart from a knackered spring or a faulty shock, any suggestions?

Lol after I posted Renault rang me back to tell me they needed the car all day unless I could move the appointment until next Friday, so next Friday it is then.

Last edited:
  derv biege barge
3 Pics below are the shocks I bought in Jan 2012, I took the pictures this time last week.
IMAG0182.jpg
IMAG0180.jpg
IMAG0181.jpg

2 Pics below are the new shocks Renault Cardiff fitted for me on Wed this week

IMAG0185.jpgIMAG0186.jpg

2 Pics below are my current rear ride height for you Clio experts to analyse if it could be the cause of the damper failure, personally I think it's not.
IMAG0191.jpgIMAG0190.jpg

Thanks for all the input you have provided up to this point.

derv biege barge
Er no rallying honest. Don't have enough confidence to throw it into a corner at the mo.

derv biege barge
Has anyone ever bought genuine rear shocks from Renault to find them leaking a few days later?

derv biege barge
Arrived at Renault at 13:30, Drank lots of free coffee, much waiting later @ 16:15 they inform me that due to the lowering of the vehicle they will be unable to honour the warranty on the shock absorbers. A complete U-turn from last time.

He showed me a few print outs from a non vehicle specific yahoo answers forum, stating that when fitting lowering springs they should be accompanied by shortened stiffer dampers to match, therefore Renault Uk cannot uphold the warrany.

My counter argument was this forum (renault clio specific) which I showed him on my phone. I explained this forum contradicted his non clio specific forum.

No joy, he hid behind the fact that last time they changed the shocks based on an in house decision (Renault Cardiff,) this time they had to consult with Renault UK due to the rapid and high frequencies of the failures, and it's them who have advised to refuse the warranty work.

Looks like I need some new rear shocks then, Which would suit the Eibach Pro Kit best I'm thinking Koni Adjustables.

53 Clio's & counting
b****cks mate, as said I ran them for 10's of thousands of miles with no problem, the Pro's drop a Clio 15-20mm, id get on the phone to Eibach and get something from them stating their springs will not wear out new shockers in a week

Audi A5
Fair enough Renault not paying out as your car is 'modified'

Personally I think its going to be a dodgy batch of shocks

derv biege barge
Yes I agree anything to get out of it. There's another forum on here 5th of June similar to mine. The guy bought 2 shocks from Renault the next day one is leaking.

In the meantime I got to get some shocks on the car. I am about to order some rear koni's off larkspeed.

Will try to complain to Renault UK for refund.

I'm looking at Tuesday delivery for the koni's, I will let you know how I get on with them.

derv biege barge
Ok the Koni's have been fitted for about a week now and so far no problems, very impressed with them and I love the adjustable tweaks you can make to them.

They really make the back end feel solid and planted onto the road.

Lifetime warranty too if you get them from Larkspeed as I did.

Fingers crossed with these badboys.

derv biege barge
91 quid each. Finally realised why Renault called it a Clio 182, that's how much a decent set of shocks will cost for it. Plus a tenner for delivery. Ordered on Monday recieved the next day.

clio 172 cup
Hi. Can I ask, Did renault Cardiff fit the replacement shocks the first time. I'ts just i had 2 new rear shocks from them 6 months ago but my indipendant mechanic fitted them. They're leaking already. Just wondering if theres any kind of warranty on genuine parts that arent fitted be renault?

clio 172 cup
Hi. Can I ask, Did renault Cardiff fit the replacement shocks the first time. I'ts just i had 2 new rear shocks from them 6 months ago but my indipendant mechanic fitted them. They're leaking already. Just wondering if theres any kind of warranty on genuine parts that arent fitted be renault?

Just to add my springs are standard.

53 Clio's & counting
Yes, as long as they were not damamged while fitting or fitted incorrectly, there will be a warranty on them, i would expect 2 year

derv biege barge
Yes I fitted the first pair myself and Renault honoured the warranty and fitted new ones for me, they will insist on you presenting the vehicle to them for a warranty claim inspection prior to them approving and carrying out the work. They will ask to see the original receipt as well.

You will be fine on standard springs and 6 months old.

I'm really amazed yours are failing on standard springs cos the Renault rep told me it was unheard of for rear shocks to fail on a Clio and that it "must" be my Eibach springs causing the failures. BS