ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical Gremlins, 52 plate 1.4 Expression

Toyota MR2 Turbo
Hi,

I know it's very rude for my first post to be asking for help with no introductions etc! Sorry about that. I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems on my mother's Clio and am looking for some pointers. Here are the symptoms:

1. Sporadically the oil pressure light and STOP warning on the dash illuminate. Oil pressure sender has been replaced, manual pressure gauge has been plugged in in place of sender to ensure engine is OK, oil pressure is fine according to this gauge, and by using a multimeter to measure the sender. There's no oil loss or contamination and the car has been running like this for at least a year with no current sign of bearing noise so I am reasonably sure the oil pressure is actually OK and that the fault is electrical. Problem usually occurs and clears under either hard braking or cornering, leading me to think it's a bad connection somewhere.

2. When cold, the car will start and idle but any attempt to rev, pull off etc, results in the car nearly stalling, coughing/spluttering etc. This will happen the first 3 or 4 times you try (e.g. reversing off the drive, changing to 1st to drive down the road, trying to pull off from the T junction at the end of the road, etc) and then seems to clear. The car has absolutely no problem revving, idling etc once this has cleared, either on long or short journeys, or if you restart it while it's still warm. I've had similar in 2 of my own cars and it's been the ECU coolant temperature sensor. I'd welcome any other suggestions though.

3. Exterior temperature gauge constantly reads at least 20 degrees higher than actual temp.

All of these problems started within 2 months of each other. Because of the common factors between these faults I want to check the wiring behind the dash. Presumably that's a dash out job, which is always a hateful task to undertake on modern cars. A few other questions though:

Does the oil pressure wiring go via the ECU? I assume so as the ECU illuminates the STOP warning.
Where is the ECU coolant temp sensor located?
Does the exterior temp wiring go via the ECU? In my experience this is the case but you never know :)
I've got workshop manuals for my cars which make life a lot easier, is it possible to get hold of one for the Clio which details taking the dashboard out, ECU pinout etc so that I can test continuity and resistance over the troublesome circuits?
If not, is this information available online somewhere?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2 Turbo
OK, I've now done a bit more searching and it seems the external temperature sensor is a common failure so I'll try and get another one of those.