ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrox over hydrate 80

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm doing some under body restoration, is in necessary or even advised to cover hydrate 80 in electrox or would it be acceptable to go straight over hydrate 80 with dynax ub?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Personally ive always put Electrox over H80, then a colour as i want to offer the panel as much protection as possible. But i guess as H80 dries to a wax finish, you could go straight to Dynax.
Depends on your level of aesthetic required i guess

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Personally ive always put Electrox over H80, then a colour as i want to offer the panel as much protection as possible. But i guess as H80 dries to a wax finish, you could go straight to Dynax.
Depends on your level of aesthetic required i guess
It's all pretty much going to be behind the fuel tank and around the rear beam area so dynax ub would be the final finish in any case, so you think it'll be ok? Just that I've run out of electrox and I really want to crack on.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Well that's your call mate, either way you have given it more protection than was obviously there.
You have gone to the effort of dropping the tank so i think id wait and put some zinc coat on there and some paint. But that's entirely your call.

You're certainly not going to do any more harm if you just cake it in Dynax, bolt the tank up and forget about it for a while.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Eletrox is a sacrificial zinc coating so I would have thought Deox is best if you then want to use Electox over the top. You can then paint direct over this if you want to. Bilthamber have excellent product support and will recommend you the products for the job in hand if you drop them an email. I also need to do this bit under the tank!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Eletrox is a sacrificial zinc coating so I would have thought Deox is best if you then want to use Electox over the top. You can then paint direct over this if you want to. Bilthamber have excellent product support and will recommend you the products for the job in hand if you drop them an email. I also need to do this bit under the tank!
I'm glad I took the tank out, there was a small amount of corrosion disappearing out of view under it but quite a few spots all over the floor pan. The plastic casing of the foam tank pad has totally disintegrated, unsure whether to wrap it in plastic to stop the foam retaining water or not.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
BH website says not to use Electrox over Hydrate 80 as it is designed to be in contact with the bare metal

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I done a bit of searching and everybody has a different idea of whats right and wrong, apparently its ok to paint straight over.

Id personally give it a light coat of electrox over the hydrate 80. Ive just done my jacking points on my orange clio dci, i give the hydrate 80 a good coat of buzzweld brush on zinc primer over the top before final paint. See how it fairs over winter.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I can't see either way being a problem, theres a whole lot less rust there than there was which can only be a good thing.