ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ELF Turbo Diesel 10W40 is this good enough for my Clio 1.5 Dci 82hp?

Renault Clio 1.5Dci
Hi!
I wish to change the oil in my car.
It is a Renault Clio 1.5 Dci 82 hp 2003 year.
On the dash I have around 184000km standing.
I wish to use the ELF Turbo Diesel 10W40 oil.
Is this a good choice or not?

Thank you very much.

Lionel Richie
how? its the same "thickness" (viscosity if you want to be posh) at 100degreesC

10W40 is thicker at 0degreesC than 5W40, but they are the same when hot, in terms of cold start both are perfectly fine, from memory 10W40 is safe down to -10degC and 5W40 is safe down to -20degC

10W40 is the standard stuff in the diesels

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im only going with what a few of the renault techs on cliodci.net have said they are not to use 10w40 as its causing issues with turbos something to do with turbo thrust bearings & thrust plate oil feeds they say. im no expert, turbos not my thing lol

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
id use the 5w. turbos on these are known for blowing when servicing becomes iregular or to thick oil etc

Renault Clio 1.5Dci
Ok guys here is the screen shot from tech doc software where is standing 10W40 for some reason...

oil.png

So, what now?
And on the bottle of the ELF Turbo Diesel type is labeled "Elf turbo diesel direct injection dCi, HDI, cdi, TD"

And the API standard is labeled: SL/CF and my car has been declared as to use a CF standard oil.

so, can I use this oil for my car?

What are you think about?

Some garages say to me I should use thicker oil because the km on the dashboard which is around 184000km and
the engine can but must not "eat" the thinner oil.

What ever this all mean, I do not know so I need your help.

Thank you.

Skoda Fabia vRS
as its a Clio II and not got a DPF or similar, you wont need any fancy oil in it

as Fred says, 10w40 and 5w40 are the same thickness when hot, as the 5w40 would be a synthetic it will be the better oil, but nothing wrong with the other cheaper stuff if you service at proper intervals

Renault Clio 1.5Dci
Thank you for advice.
One more question, what is the best service interval for changing the ELF Turbo Diesel 10W40 oil? I mean how much km?
after 8000km is ok to change this oil?