ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Bay Painting - Best Method?

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Hi

I'm in the process of refurbing the inlets, fuel guard, cam cover etc. Basically anything that's silver from factory. (see image)

I've heard Vapour Blasting is a good way to good, anyone have experience of this?

My question is, if I want to achieve a factory finish. Which method is best?

- Vapour Blasting.
- Powder coating.
- DIY Spray Painting.

Please advise if you have a company in mind from a good experience too.

Thanks,
737dd8827ad6614c5ab0389b1a1db8b2.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Vapor Blasting imo.

There is a guy on here that does to an extremely good standard.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Vapor Blasting imo.

There is a guy on here that does to an extremely good standard.
My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick, oh really? Keen to know more..

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Aye Halfords Daewoo stone silver

Bought 10 cans for a fiver from a local ballbag that probably chored them[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
[emoji23] Firstly Daewoo Stone Silver. What a name for a colour.

10 cans stolen from a local 'hero' good deal if you ask me mate..

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I used hammerite smoothrite rattle cans, 1 year on and alls good

Attachments

• 20190429_193359.jpg
    20190429_193359.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 166

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Vapour blasting gives the best OEM finish imo. Paint looks good at a distance but still looks like paint up close which isn't ideal imo if wanting standard silver look

This is vapour

20191005_111320.jpg

20191005_111237.jpg

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Another vote for vapour blasting. I painted mine and it was an absolute ball ache. Yeah, you can get it to look good, but for the hassle and effort, vapour blast by someone looks very good value for money to me. Here was mine pre and charger. My second piece of advice, don’t paint anything white;

D6841523-D112-459E-8DFA-307DE3A48248.jpeg

Last edited:

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Vapour blasting gives a real nice finish and fetches off all the staining without removing much metal, close up below. (not clio parts though)

As a comparison, in the second pic shows the difference between Soda and Vapour, the TB was soda blasted, soda does not leave any sort of abrasive residue so is more suited to delicate parts (didn't destroy the plastics) - it gets rid of all dirt but may leave faint staining.

I'd like to get my inlet done - has anyone had their 'RenaultSport' emblem polished, I think it is difficult to polish cast alum.

TkKenAw.jpg

k7zeBAG.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Vapour blasting would be the best route if you want them factory fresh.

The ones on my trophy wern't too bad so i just cleaned them up and sprayed with alumablast which give a factory look.

received_427877491261886.jpeg
20191007_125637.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Anyone know anywhere in the Midlands, preferably in Stoke, that does vapour blasting? Does it cost much?

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Vapour blast, then give it a good coat of WD40, leave it for a couple of days then wipe dry. The WD will help prevent it going yuk again.

20151228_154134.jpg