ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Bay

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Ok, I want to make a start on my engine bay for my 172 Cup. First of all, how do I go about polishing the main lump of the engine? I seen a picture of someones from here, and it looked like the Queen's silver had been used to plate everything.

Also, how do I clean it in general? Surely it can't be good to use alot of water in there?

Cheers guys!

Megane R26
You can either take parts like the top plenum and fuel rail gurard to a polishers, or DIY it. Using wet and dry from very coarse to very fine,and lots of Autosol. Best with the parts off the car.
As far as cleaning, damp microfibre should be fine. Main rule just be carefull around electrics.

Also you getting my PM's about the bumper? Pm me your email addy or something.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Cheers for the info! What about a wirebrush, would that be any help?

Just PM'd back mate, are you supposed to be mailed when you recieve a PM, as I never seem to notice the unread part changed to '1.'

Megane R26
Yeah you can use some engine cleaner and a wire brush on certain parts.

Regarding PM's. Check your control pannel, and under options. There is a tick for receving an email when you get a PM, but notification should be ticked as standard.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
yea as mr stabby said. use wet and dry from coarse to fine i used 120 to 1500 and some autosol. worked a treat. took about 4-5 hrs to do the RS bit. heres some pics for you

Before
DSCF0151.jpg

After
DSCF0160.jpg

A4 Avant & A3
Just been having a little go on polishing the lettering on mine.. that autosol stuff is hard to get out of the gaps between the lettering isn't it..!
Still needs a lot of work yet & some more grades of paper i think.

I can't find the asorted sandpaper packs in halfords with all the grades in :-(

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Thanks for the advice guys! Will get on this and join the polished engine bay crew! =p