ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine conversion 1.6.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I know there are many threads about engine conversions etc but i have some questions so i can take it in to serious consideration.

Well I currently i have a 2007 clio campus sport 1.2 16v. I would consider buying an RS but i really want something different.

I have considered saving and getting the Ktec 172 conversion done but i think its alot of money. So to keep cost down on all aspects i.e. insurance/tax/overall cost, I like the idea of doing a 1.6 conversion as you can pick the K4M engines up cheap with a gear box on low mileage.

A few things I am unsure of are:

will i have to change the running gear etc, Loom?

I know a rear disk conversion will be appropriate if i do go ahead. I have use of the facilites to do the conversion i just need to get costs of what its roughly going to cost so i can save and then go ahead with it.

Before fitting the engine I want to plan on getting it gas flowed along with getting it polished.

I am wondering if anyone else has either looked in to this or done it. Would be nice if i can be steered in to the right direction so no haters please i am just after advice :approve:

any help would be appreciated cheers matt

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
my mistake then lol, won't even worry about that thats one worry out of the way

Tax will stay the same btw, no matter what engine you put in. 1.6 won't be epic btw, it'll be faster but I'd personally get a 2.0 dropped in rather than regretting it later!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I am thinking more along the lines of insurance and ease tbh. when you say tax will stay the same you mean at 1.2 price?

The reason i want to go 1.6 is because as far as i know you don't have to change all the running gear apart from brakes. I maybe wrong but its what I have been told.

You could get a great deal of power from the 1.6 engines if done correctly and spent the pennies.

like i said in my first post i am looking for advice, obviously pro's and con's to doing the conversion.

Yeah the tax will stay the same as your car is registered as a 1.2 with modifications. Fair doo's, hope it goes well if you are doing it buddy :)

Clio MK2
mate i was just having the same convo with my dad, i too have the 1.2 16v and want to do the 1.6 conversion, so i was after the same information.

if you have any luck, or get any information, i'd be keen to know!

Cheers

Jay

Hutchie is doing this conversion actually, might be worth PMing him with a link to the thread for more detailed info!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
only thing you can save when doing the 1.6 conversion over the 2.0 conversion is changing the front brakes, 1.6 uses the same brakes as the 1.2 16v. you still need to change engine, box, steering rack, ecu, uch etc its a pain in the arse and id rather spend the extra couple hundred quid on the F4R.

only point in doing a conversion is to get cheap insurance when you dont declair it so personally if your doing that i wouldnt bother.