ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine conversion that hasnt been declared on insurance . ( not me lol )

Golf TDI
I have promised my mate i will do a bit of research for him tonight and tbh this is the perfect place to do it ;) not sure if it is the right part of cliosport to put it in as he doesnt have a clio but tbh from the replies i get other people could use the info on their clio's :) . Basically the upshot of it is that a work friend got himself a vauxhall corsa off autotrader with and undeclared engine conversion . It was sold with no MOT etc He doesnt intend on changing the v5 over to it now being a redtop ( dispite knowing the risks involved ) Its all ready for its MOT but doesnt want to get caught out by the tester as iirc they will write down what engine size etc you have . so how does he go about getting an MOT ? is it all about knowing the right garage ;) or will most garages not give a toss or in some cases notice ?:S hope someone can shed some light .

Titanium 182
Tell him to go to any shady looking garage in bradford and slip them an extra £20...

Bad idea though.

Golf TDI
so they do look out for these things ie. engine size and will most probably report him . I know a garage around by me that i rekon might pass it if given a bit of money . but i said he would look a t**t if he offered them money and they told him where to go with it , then reported him !! ha ha

Golf TDI
so in answer they will look under the bonnet and will notice the " wrong engine " lol i think its registered as a 1.4 ?.

LY 182
nope, nothing to do with the tester.
even if he blatently knows its got a bigger engine theres no way he can prove it short of pulling the engine apart and measuring the bores and stroke which he cant do -

Golf TDI
do they even really look under the bonnet .? iirc correctly you work in a garage dont you ?

LY 182
yes i do.. yes there are under bonnet checks.. but it dosn't matter if it had a jet from a 747 under the bonnet as long as it passes the testable items its no concern of his what engine it is.

IF you were unlucky enough to have your car in for test on a day a vosa examinter decides to turn up and he clocks it, they may have a thing or two to say about it.. but even still i doubt it

Golf TDI
my mate is making a faff out of it . refusing to take it anywhere incase he gets in the s**t for it . il tell him what you said about the " 747 engine ;) " ha ha

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
what about emmision test though? surely a 1.4 should be lower than a 2 litre? might fail that...

***bahh beaten too it

Last edited:
  LY 182
nope. get the same emmsions out of a 4l jaguar v8 as you do a 1.2 clio... all cars that run a catylitic converter give out roughly the same readings anywhere from 0 to typically 0.10 (allowed 0.30 on extended test) for co.. HC 100 ish max and lambda 1..

impossible to tell size of engine looking at emmisions data

Golf TDI
the only way he could ever get found out then is

1. Vosa check while being MOT'd ( not likely )
2.Police spot check ( do these happen , checking engine size ? )
3.Have an accident ( obvious reasons would get found out )
or 4. Insurance auditer check ( again very rare )

BMW M135i
Bottom line is whilst it isn't a very good idea unless he stacks it he'll most likely get away with it. And even then they should still pay out to the 3rd party he'll just get spitroasted, even he's even going to bother insuring it?

C

clvs2222

tel him to bring it down to me, slip me some dosh and ill get my mate to do it for him. proper MOT test station that he workx in.

Golf TDI
Bottom line is whilst it isn't a very good idea unless he stacks it he'll most likely get away with it. And even then they should still pay out to the 3rd party he'll just get spitroasted, even he's even going to bother insuring it?

yes he says he is going to insure it , tax it etc

Golf TDI
surely this is a ultimate fail. Wont it void the insurance if its not down on the log book as a 2ltr?

Or am i just chatting poo!!

yes i thought it would void the insurance then meaning you could get done for fraud . but if the police pull you over it keeps them off your back if you have insurance. being void or not . might aswell buy the lowest level of cover etc as it would mean jack .

Golf TDI
tel him to bring it down to me, slip me some dosh and ill get my mate to do it for him. proper MOT test station that he workx in.

going to give him all the facts iv learnt from this thread . will pass it by him that offer . :) thanks chris .

surely this is a ultimate fail. Wont it void the insurance if its not down on the log book as a 2ltr?

Or am i just chatting poo!!

yes i thought it would void the insurance then meaning you could get done for fraud . but if the police pull you over it keeps them off your back if you have insurance. being void or not . might aswell buy the lowest level of cover etc as it would mean jack .

If hes insuring it as a 2ltr, why isnt he changing the log book? Thats what i dont understand???

Golf TDI
he isnt going to insure it as a 2litre . he is going to tell them its a 1.4 corse life etc so if the police pull you over etc they think you have perfectly legit insurance etc .

is dirty.
Plus his insurance will be say £500 for a 1.4 rather than a £1000 for declaring all the mods..

he isnt going to insure it as a 2litre . he is going to tell them its a 1.4 corse life etc so if the police pull you over etc they think you have perfectly legit insurance etc .
In that case IMO hes an idiot.

Main reason why insurance is expensive as it is because of this, he may aswell just not insure it as itll be invalid anyway.

Golf TDI
thats always been the respnse tbh on cliosport for all the people with clios that do this sort of thing . and its understandable .

Ian

Focus TDCi

Main reason why insurance is expensive as it is because of this, he may aswell just not insure it as itll be invalid anyway.

I think he's trying to say that although it's not the truth it will keep the police from looking into it due to lack of insurance. So it's not a case of the insurance being valid, rather that it will pass a spot check. Like people have said if the guy in the garage can't prove it's a 2 litre easily then neither will the police.

Personally I don't agree with it, but at the end of the day it's his choice, albeit a poor one!

I think he's trying to say that although it's not the truth it will keep the police from looking into it due to lack of insurance. So it's not a case of the insurance being valid, rather that it will pass a spot check. Like people have said if the guy in the garage can't prove it's a 2 litre easily then neither will the police.

Personally I don't agree with it, but at the end of the day it's his choice, albeit a poor one!

Yeh i know mate. But what happens if he hits someone, runs a pedestrian down or something. He may never ever have an accident, and touch wood he doesnt, but thats what its there for, just incase.

IMO ultimate fail and i wouldnt supply a certificate knowing it was helping the guy to brap around in an uninsured 2ltr

Golf TDI

Yeh i know mate. But what happens if he hits someone, runs a pedestrian down or something. He may never ever have an accident, and touch wood he doesnt, but thats what its there for, just incase.

IMO ultimate fail and i wouldnt supply a certificate knowing it was helping the guy to brap around in an uninsured 2ltr

people who do this run the risk . the first 6 months of owning my car i was insured with direct line and my car is modified . not knowing this voids my insurance etc . i was quite dull to it . In the end sorted that all out . so tbh i cant go slagging him off as its no different than driving around with a set of alloy wheels and not telling your insurance company .:eek:

LY 182
it dosn't.

yet to find a tester stupid enough to do that nowadays.. use to happen with the written certificates a mate of mine used to write them out down the pub lol..

I could send one tommorow so it can still be done, not what you know and all that ;)
it can be done yeah... but anyone moronic enough to print them out and send them out nowadays needs help.

Golf TDI
and he aint really going to go around brapping ( married with kids etc ) not going to be his way i suppose .