ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine conversion

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
can someone make me a lost of evrything i need to do to get this certified and legal please?

i.e inform the dvla etc.

ive put an F7R into a 1.6 (K4m) megane but ive turbocharged the engine.

so whats involved in getting this right so its easy to tax and insure every year?

cheers

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I read the other week you have to be able to provide receipts from a vat registered company for the engine conversion. If thats true or not i cannot comment but may be worth looking into.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Fill in the change on your V5,
Get a Manufacture's (Renault/Audi etc) garage to confirm the engine number and put it on a letter/invoice,

Send both to DVLA

Easy

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I read the other week you have to be able to provide receipts from a vat registered company for the engine conversion. If thats true or not i cannot comment but may be worth looking into.

this contradicts this lol...

Fill in the change on your V5,
Get a Manufacture's (Renault/Audi etc) garage to confirm the engine number and put it on a letter/invoice,

Send both to DVLA

Easy

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
so james.f was right. change the v5 with proof from renault thats its an F7R engine and the DVLA will sort that for me meaning taxing and moting the car is just as normal.

what do i do about insurance? is it a case of they will see the dvla's records and give me a quote + my modifications or will i have to state that its had an engine swap?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Kind of. Also you need a report done on the car. It's not as straight forward as getting Renault to confirm its a F7R. Also if its had a turbo conversion that might add issues.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
"I received the V5 back, with no change to the details, and a letter stating that I must provide evidence of either:

- a receipt of purchase of the engine from a garage on headed paper
- an inspection report from an organisation such as the AA or RAC - an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
- written confirmation from the manufacturer showing the engine number and size"

172 turbo 'cup'
For insurance im through sky they sent me a list which i had to fill in with mod's on.Mine was'nt a engine change though just the turbo kit.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
thats handy!

will probably end up with sky or brentacre or similar for this car tbh. i know admiral wont touch it because ive already asked lol

172 turbo 'cup'
thats handy!

will probably end up with sky or brentacre or similar for this car tbh. i know admiral wont touch it because ive already asked lol

I tried them all sky was the best some just did'nt have a clue what to do when i said it had a turbo.Im sure i got discount aswell with being a member on here send them a pm.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
thats what im worried about. would be asy enough if i just swapped an F7R into it but ive added a turbo and im unsure wether that would cause some issues.

ive spoken to sky and they keep syaing ring them. no point because its not done yet lol

172 turbo 'cup'
thats what im worried about. would be asy enough if i just swapped an F7R into it but ive added a turbo and im unsure wether that would cause some issues.

ive spoken to sky and they keep syaing ring them. no point because its not done yet lol[/QUOTE

Just wait till it's done to ring them should'nt be any different from mine, you will need some sort of report to say the engine's been changed give the dvla a ring they will tell you what you need.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
might take a trip down there and speak to them tbh. its only down the road from me :)

they can give me everything i need then

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
When I stuck a GT Turbo engine in my valver I got the same letter back and just got a local garage to write up a report which detailed the engine numbers on headed paper, if anything that should have been more difficult to get through because of the capacity change from 1.8 -> 1.4 meaning cheaper insurance. DVLA were happy with that anyway.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
cool. thats intresting! i know plenty of local garages that could do that for me :)

thanks

2.2 bar shed.
Fill in stated change to capacity and the engine number on the V5, send it away. Job done. Was easy for me anyway?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Fill in stated change to capacity and the engine number on the V5, send it away. Job done. Was easy for me anyway?

did you go from NA to turbo? i seem to remember you did?

when did you do this? if its that easy then panic over :)