ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Coolant

Vectra
Hi, the engine coolant bottle on my Clio is practically empty and Halfords doesn't open till 9am and just my luck tomorrow at 9am I'm busy, I found an old bottle of coolant and it says that no other products can be used while this product is still inside the coolant bottle. Saturday morning is the soonest I can get to Halfords, I could call into Kwik Fit in the morning though...

What could I use as a temporary replacement?

Thanks Tom

SQ5
Water will be fine as long as its not going below freezing.

But I'd be buying some Renault Type D Coolant as its the only stuff that works correctly. You'll probably find its cheaper than Halfords too

Vectra
Okay thanks, I'll try and get some of that Type D fluid. Does it tend to last longer? I find Halfords coolants don't seem to last 5 minutes then I'm buying another bottle.

If you are using alot of coolant then there must be an underlying problem...

Type-d only not expensive either only costs about £12.50 for 5ltrs.

Don't mix coolants either! never tried it but heard it goes like sludge when mixed.

Vectra
So using Water is still okay? Theres no leaks or anything I got Kwik Fit to check this few weeks ago.

SQ5
I wouldn't trust kwik fit.

A car shouldn't use coolant, just circulate it. I'd guess bottom of your radiator is weeping it out but into the under car tray so its not being seen.

Vectra
I have heard mixed feelings about Kwik Fit, I haven't had any issues mind. I'll just re-fill with water tomorrow and on Saturday try and get hold of some Type D fluid and see if that makes a difference.

Vectra
^When I got it checked out about a month or so ago, the Kwik Fit guy said theres no leaks.

the kwik fit guys are shockingly useless and know nothing, go elsewhere.

top it up with water then go to renault for the type-d stuff

^^Just as bad.

If i had a puncture i would drive straight past;) Take it to a garage where the mechanics have a bit of knowledge not school leavers with a wheel brace

Lionel Richie
1.2 16V i'm guessing? either your thermostat housing or your waterpump is leaking (you won't spot these 2 visually, needs a proper inspection, fact of the matter is the coolant should never need touching, maybe a cup full once a year followed by a complete change and flush every 3years)

Lionel Richie
not really, thermostat housing is easy, 20min job if that, don't think the part is much more than £30

waterpump however = cambelt job +waterpump and coolant (£200-£250)

Vectra
I might phone round a few places to get an estimate, but whatever the problem is it'll have to wait so till it gets repaired I'll just use Water or Type D Fluid.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Bet you have a coolant crimbo tree hiding somewhere, either thermostat housing or water pump, common.