ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine cutting out!!

172 cup
Can anyone help me?
Ive got a clio 172 cup and having an intermittent problem with the engine cutting out when I get to traffic lights, roundabouts or on idle. The STOP light and battery light come on and I have to start the engine back up. It sometimes goes on limp mode when I start it back up also.
Please help?
Laura

You realy need it pluggin into the Renault computer the coil packs can fail could also be the TDC sensor and the throttle body the last two IMO are the most likly.

172 cup
it has done 39000 miles. I had it in at Motorline renault in Aylesford last month and had the throttle pedentiometer replaced and went on limp mode a week later. Took it back and they said the computer stored fault for throttle body but they didnt replace it. They took throttle pedentiometer off, cleaned it and re-fitted again! (coz ive got warranty they dont want to replace things!!!) Its going in again on monday so fingers crossed!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
About a month back my 172 would do the same thing when stopping at traffic lights. It happened 6/7 times in that week but the problem went away and I havent thought about it since. At the time I put it down to stalling it by not getting the clutch down before the car had stopped, but it happened so many times that week it must be something else, perhaps a bad batch of fuel, dont know.

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
I have the same problem. Cutting out at very low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear.
Most of the time when I step on the clutch. TDC sensor is replaced, but was not the problem. I also notice a very strange behaviour of the revs. When I slow down and step in clutch, the revs go slightly up (not all the time, but most when I just left). Engine management light is also often on and I don't believe it's because of my disconnected lambdasensor, but I have to refit it from the dealer and also have to refit the cat, before they want to work further on the problem. They really think it cuts out because of that

172 cup
thanx for all suggestions. Went on limp mode last night. Really hope it gets sorted tomorrow coz im loosing faith in the "speeding blue bullett"!

172 cup
Guess what its the throttle body thats knackered! Being replaced tomorrow so watch out in Maidstone and Medway ill be back on the road!;)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I was just going to sat throttle body we had one in for same fault last week and that was blue but not a cup

Vectra :(
Wasn't actually meaning pictures of the car. We have seen a clio before :) Only joking, you sat on the car will do just fine :rasp:

Audi TT 225
Can anyone help me?
Ive got a clio 172 cup and having an intermittent problem with the engine cutting out when I get to traffic lights, roundabouts or on idle. The STOP light and battery light come on and I have to start the engine back up. It sometimes goes on limp mode when I start it back up also.
Please help?
Laura

I've got this exact problem with my little 1.2 clio. Haven't got round to having it looked at yet but as the symptoms are identical to yours I guess it's the throttle body also then. The car's only done 15,000 miles though :(.

Let us know how much it cost's you to have it sorted please!

172 cup
hi sam
coz i have warranty i have to know how much it is b4 anything is done, so its going to cost £320!
Good luck let us know:)

Audi TT 225
Ah cool, cheers! Mines under warranty still also so I guess I'll get it looked at after all.

Thanks again Laura