ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine dies immediately after starting

phase 1 flamer 172
HAD my clio 4 years, absolutely no issues, now when I start the car from cold it dies straight away, dosnt matter if I try revving or not. Takes 3 or 4 attempts before it keeps running. Any ideas.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The immobiliser light is flashing like mad is it? When mine played up it would start the first time with the leftover petrol in the lines then die.

phase 1 flamer 172
Right I will have to see where the icv is,
It runs fine once running.
Will watch out for the immobilizer light next time I attempt a start, ( once its cooled down)

phase 1 flamer 172
So thought I had nothing to lose by trying to clean the icv, so removed and cleaned with the only thing I had, petrol. Now it starts straight away but wants to tick over at 4000 revs, time to buy a new one me thinks.

phase 1 flamer 172
Now tick over fluctuates between 1500 to 2000 revs, try it again in an hour or so.

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Still to high, replace it. Tip, if you still have the original ICV with the flattened nuts on the flange, use a thin saw (between ICV & flange) to cut through those nuts. Then use normal nuts and bolts + some washers.

(flange on left)
19039813674_53be571bb7_b.jpg
New Idle Control Valve by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

phase 1 flamer 172
Now that's helpful, I looked on ebay and wondered why none of them looked like mine, I now see they come minus the flange, and yeah mine is original with the pressed fittings, brilliant, cheers.

phase 1 flamer 172
£40 from an ebay seller, think it was (will look again) a vdo part, as is mine. I would break it if £300 was the cheapest I think.

phase 1 flamer 172
OK, went out the next morning, tickover was back to where it should be but was taking 3 or 4 attempts to keep it running, so back where we started. New icv arrived and was fitted and now all is well, not quite, its now ticking over at 4000 revs again. Will leave it for a while and see if it settles down as it did before.

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Get the ICV and flange of the car. Remove the ICV, extend the plunger so when you mount the flange again, you will push the plunger back in again for a small amount. Remount it on the car and try again.

phase 1 flamer 172
Its now ticking over at 800/900 as it used to, dosnt feel quite as smooth though. The final test will come in the morning (maybe this evening) when I try a cold start. thanks for all advice.

phase 1 flamer 172
Just been out to start it, air temperature has dropped from this afternoon and its quite cool. started and ticked over perfectly, so fingers crossed its sorted.